Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    While I do like to win, even in QM, now that CM is out, QM is the place to mess around, experiment, learn, etc. Even if you're getting countered hard playing a particular character, there's still a learning experience there if that's what you're after. I've encountered a lot of bossy people in QM lately. "Get off Roadhog! We don't need another tank!" Well, too bad because I want to practice on Roadhog. I use to respond to them but now I just mute. Can't be bothered. CM is that way ---->.
    Yep, that. I'm not going to play a new hero I'm inexperienced with (hello, Ana) in Competitive, until I feel I can play them well enough and have a good enough handle on their details. Same for existing heroes I just don't play enough, like Genji. I'm terrible with Genji. I'd pretty much never play him in Competitive, unless I was facing a team of Bastions pre-no-stacking-heroes (which never happened, but I digress).

So where do I get better at playing Ana, or Genji? Quickplay. Does this mean I'm gonna hose my team? No. If nobody's healing, I'll heal. If we need a tank, I'll tank. I'll fill the role we need. I'm not gonna play the third healer, or instalock Reaper every match. But I'm not gonna play Lucio just because you think Lucio is the best healer for this map; if you think Lucio's so necessary, YOU play him.

Not that I have any issue with Lucio. He's my most-played support for a reason.

Hell, I had a guy threaten to report me for playing Ana yesterday, in a Quickplay match. We were losing, he wanted to blame me. Maybe I wasn't doing very well (though I WAS playing as a healer, I don't play Ana to be an aggro sniper), but that's not reportable. And hell, I won the next two Quickplay matches with her.

Usually I don't care what people do in games. However why would you play a competitive, team-based shooter if you run with the attitude of "Who cares if I'm being useless to my team its not comp queue LOL" Makes no sense to me, if you're so bad you can't contribute at all on the character you're playing then go play against AI until you grasp the basics or swap to something that is beneficial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Google, that way you don't wind up being the dumbass who asks why they failed to kill a Mccree with two headshots while playing Ana (Yeah, I had someone actually ask that during a match).
    Oh yeah, Google will get me a good feel of how the character plays

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Not to mention that knowing how much damage her shots do does very little to give you any "feel" for her play, in-game, against actual opponents. Lord knows I play Ana a lot differently than I'd expected to, at first glance at the details on the web.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not to mention that knowing how much damage her shots do does very little to give you any "feel" for her play, in-game, against actual opponents. Lord knows I play Ana a lot differently than I'd expected to, at first glance at the details on the web.
    Yeah.
    I expected to play Ana as a sniper (Considering her scope). But in-game she's more mid-range than sniper. Not to mention, she's A LOT more offensive than I expected. Her grenade can do a lot of damage

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah.
    I expected to play Ana as a sniper (Considering her scope). But in-game she's more mid-range than sniper. Not to mention, she's A LOT more offensive than I expected. Her grenade can do a lot of damage
    Yeah, I'd expected a lot more use of the scope, but if I'm hanging back so far that I need to scope to hit my allies, they go around a corner and I've gotta sprint for 5-10 seconds to catch up and be able to heal again, which means I've messed up. There's a few spots where that's not so much the case, mostly at final points, but most of those have poor sight-lines in. The end of Hollywood's the closest I've seen.

Otherwise, I'm running around and 360 noscoping my team and the baddies (not really, but it feels that way sometimes). Scope gets hauled out to hit the roamers or counter-snipe, and the latter is rare; if I could heal someone, I should be doing that instead, 98.3% of the time.

To everyone who says Quick Play is where you practice new heroes I'd like to introduce you to something called Practice Mode. All you need to understand is the heroe's kit. You can either aim well, aim average, or aim awful. Your aim doesn't change just because you play a different hero. I'd say the only time you need to be in a game to practice is to learn the map and you can do that with a friend in a custom game.

That's what flaming and toxicity is for. If someone picks Hanzo into a widow + ana I'll make sure he "just has fun" for that game.

I too myself have fallen in to the trap of playing unranked or random battles over a number of games and getting frustrated to hell and back because of people doing their own thing or not what is reasonably expected for the part they are playing. I then realised I was getting angry at a game where ages/motor skills/mindset can differ so vastly between people, and that I was actually the only person not having fun....in a game, which means I'm actually the one being an asshole, not them.

If you look up the definition of a game, you'll actually find that it is anything from competitive sporting to just ouright having a giggle. This is precisly why game makers give us Ranked play, or Clan play or Guild play. Those of us who want the challenge, and want to be really competative, can now join up with like minded people especially if there is a rating involved so you meet people of similar skill.

Also remember that just because that guy is messing around and not taking is seriously, doesn't mean he is not a decent player. If you alienate everybody around you in casual play and you meet those people elsewhere (ranked or whatever), they are only gonna remember you for being a douche, not for being an good player. They will most certainly not be willing to help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    To everyone who says Quick Play is where you practice new heroes I'd like to introduce you to something called Practice Mode. All you need to understand is the heroe's kit. You can either aim well, aim average, or aim awful. Your aim doesn't change just because you play a different hero. I'd say the only time you need to be in a game to practice is to learn the map and you can do that with a friend in a custom game.
    This teaches you nothing about playing against other human players. When I talk about learning a hero's quirks, I mean how they actually play, against real opponents, not "what does my E do?" Figuring out the most effective ways to play with that toolkit and how to exploit other people takes other people, not bots.

The entire purpose of Quickplay is to provide a less competitive and more free-wheeling style of gameplay. Hence why Competitive has certain restrictions (like no hero stacking) when Quickplay does not. If you want to focus entirely on winning and only ever playing your best heroes, that's what Competitive is for.

I really don't know where you think people should get practice in against real players, if not Quickplay. Quickplay is where you'll also see stuff like "6 Winston attack strategy" and "6 Mei defense". Because those are funny.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-07-24 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    Yeah sure, I'll learn when the best time to pop Defense matrix is against these bots who barely do damage!
    I'll learn when the best time to use a ress is, too!

I'll keep practicing\testing in QM and try-hard'ing on CM\Ranked.

I might even troll QM ragers, once in a while. I'm terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    QM is like practice mode but without bots. Even though some players are worse than bots. No way to take it serious, its a good place to test and practice though.
    Depends on the difficulty. Hard bots are pretty much impossible.

Sorry, but a lot of games I treat as a progression system. To compare, in a game like WoW, I would do basic learning of my class (playstyle/abilities/etc) while leveling (practice arena for OW), I will then go do dungeons to get a better understanding for in game mechanics and learning the in game scenarios that impact my class (QP for OW), eventually to bring those things together and in a more challenging area of the game with raids (comp for OW). Sometimes, I'll go use practice dummies to fine tune the spec (custom game setup learning how to aim better on moving targets).
    This doesn't mean I take QP lightly, as I still like to win, but as it's less meaningful to me, I will pick a character I want to learn on more than someone I am completely comfortable with. If I am being countered hard, I will find a counter to that player and still learn on something new.
    Sometimes I just want to have fun and go into QP and pick a hero I never use in comp because they aren't good for them, or maybe I've played them 18 hours and just don't have the skill for them but I want to play them in a real match once in a while to have fun.
    Am I trying to drag other players down or ruin their experience? No, but I have the right to play what I want in an unranked and have fun, just like the guy playing on the team with me. If my team is complaining we don't have a tank or healer, maybe I'll switch to help, but I'm more likely to switch to someone I don't play often to get experience on them. If they continue to complain about needing a healer and I picked a bad one, they have the same opportunity to switch to what they deem the best healer. It's common courtesy to respect what people are doing, and if that drags your team down you are just as much to blame as I am for "not helping the team."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    If they continue to complain about needing a healer and I picked a bad one, they have the same opportunity to switch to what they deem the best healer. It's common courtesy to respect what people are doing, and if that drags your team down you are just as much to blame as I am for "not helping the team."
    I think that's what bugs me most about the complaint.

Are you playing the sole tank on our team? No? Then you don't get to complain; if you feel we could use more healing, you're free to swap to a healing hero. It really doesn't matter to me that you want to play Genji so badly. What makes your desire to play that hero any more "right" than my desire to play the hero I'm playing?

The only time I'll take a complaint about a lack of a healer or tank as a serious point is if the person making it is the sole tank or healer, and them switching still leaves the team missing a role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Depends on the difficulty. Hard bots are pretty much impossible.
    Only if your team tries to play derpy heroes against the bots, like Genji and Tracer. Playing anything that mows them down on medium (junkrat/bastion etc) will mow them down on hard too.
    Just gotta be careful, cause those guy don't miss heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing that she can't headshot is a pretty important piece of information. I'm not saying people should spend 30 minutes reading up on a new hero, but they should at least take a minute or two to check all the numbers to know their ability effects, CD, durations, damage per shot and whether or not the hero can headshot. Google to learn about a character, quick match to learn how a character plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

OP: seems you take yourself too seriously, chill out bro.

In Quick Play??? I'm going to play whatever I bloody well feel like playing at that given moment. If I feel like playing Reaper because I want to get better with him? Reaper it is. If I decide that 3 games of support is enough and I want something different? Hellz yeah I'll play Torb for a bit. 2 other Pharahs already on the team but I feel like flying?Jutice rains from above.

It's Quick Play. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This teaches you nothing about playing against other human players. When I talk about learning a hero's quirks, I mean how they actually play, against real opponents, not "what does my E do?" Figuring out the most effective ways to play with that toolkit and how to exploit other people takes other people, not bots.

The entire purpose of Quickplay is to provide a less competitive and more free-wheeling style of gameplay. Hence why Competitive has certain restrictions (like no hero stacking) when Quickplay does not. If you want to focus entirely on winning and only ever playing your best heroes, that's what Competitive is for.

I really don't know where you think people should get practice in against real players, if not Quickplay. Quickplay is where you'll also see stuff like "6 Winston attack strategy" and "6 Mei defense". Because those are funny.
    The game has been out long enough that you should know how to play against other human players by now. I'm not saying you can learn the kit in practice mode and then immediately own face in Quick Play but you should already know what the hero does. I personally didn't learn anything in Quick Play that I didn't already know from learning the kit but I also watch players on YouTube. I never knew pro players used Pharah's knockback to keep themselves in the air but I'm not sure I ever would have learned that while in Quick Play. I guess my point is I don't know what you can learn from playing with humans that you can't learn playing with bots. The kits don't change. What you do learn from playing with humans is not hero specific, you learn things that improve your overall gameplay.

My main point is, Quick Play has people who are trying to win and improve their skills globally, not just get better with one hero. They can't do that when people dick around.
    And I have no problem with 6 Winston shenanigans and the like. I find them funny too.
    Maybe I learned things by watching pro players on YouTube that others thought you could only learn by playing against human players.