Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    As a gay person, I don't really care if some politicians come late to the party, because they have to bend to the will of the voters to be able to get office, so I understand. I feel bad for politicians sometimes, because the public doesn't tend to understand they have to posture and crop themselves in a certain way to be effective in the first place.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Milquetoast
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    But you have time for Trump? Yea, that's not exactly logical. You weren't on any fence.
    His reason is such a dumbfuck reason, I really have no clue how to respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangshang View Post
    As a gay person, I don't really care if some politicians come late to the party, because they have to bend to the will of the voters to be able to get office, so I understand. I feel bad for politicians sometimes, because the public doesn't tend to understand they have to posture and crop themselves in a certain way to be effective in the first place.
    Politician sticks to their views "Out of date views, need to get with the times."

Politician changes their views with the times "Pandering at best, flip flopper at worst. Don't vote for the scum."

Kaine shows that he too can be a Conservative Christian

Because that's always reassuring. /s

Like we need more of those...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Kaine shows that he too can be a Conservative Christian

Because that's always reassuring. /s

Like we need more of those...
    we need a wall.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yup.
    I'm going with Jill Stein.
    Same here

Or

maybe
    Trump

Depends on the debates

10+ Year Old Account
    But you have time for Trump? Yea, that's not exactly logical. You weren't on any fence.
    No, I dont have time for Trump either. I can honestly say the US is screwed no matter which of the two wins. It is just a matter of who will screw me less.

Deleted
    Didn't understand OP so I vote for Clinton to be save, even fortunetellers can count on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    No, I dont have time for Trump either. I can honestly say the US is screwed no matter which of the two wins. It is just a matter of who will screw me less.
    Screwed because of them? Or because, say, some people make asinine decisions because of things like a few words spoken in a different language offending them to the point of a temper tantrum?

Yea, it must be the politicians...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great choice. Successful white guy - which any minority candidate needs on the DNC side to shore up the conservative liberal vote. Fluent in Spanish, as if the DNC needed more tools to get the Hispanic vote (there's one Hispanic voting for Trump - that woman who was introduced just after Trump announced - anyone remember that?). And solid in leading a domestic policy agenda.

Well spoken. Good background. No faults to dissuade people. Great choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screwed because of them? Or because, say, some people make asinine decisions because of things like a few words spoken in a different language offending them to the point of a temper tantrum?

Yea, it must be the politicians...
    Pandering to those who do not care enough to learn English is an automatic disqualifier for me. All of my ancestors managed to learn it, so can everyone else. Cultural unity actually is important to a country's strength, and language is a key glue of it.

And yes, both candidates are going to cause massive damage to the US no matter which wins. The only question is which sectors will be damaged. With luck, both will die in accidents before the election and we can try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Pandering to those who do not care enough to learn English is an automatic disqualifier for me. All of my ancestors managed to learn it, so can everyone else. Cultural unity actually is important to a country's strength, and language is a key glue of it.

And yes, both candidates are going to cause massive damage to the US no matter which wins. The only question is which sectors will be damaged. With luck, both will die in accidents before the election and we can try it again.
    Because the only people who speak or understand a different language are those who "don't care to have learned English"...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Liberals can also take solace in this scenario. Kaine is just 58. In 9 years he'll be 67. Younger than Clinton.

Kaine-Warren 2024.

- - - Updated - - -

TPP is going to passs no matter what anyway. Probably in December.
    I don't think Warren will be on the ticket in 2024. She'll be 75. Assuming Clinton/Kaine wins and goes two terms: Kaine/Booker 2024 (Booker will be 55 and Kaine 66).
    Last edited by Berengil; 2016-07-26 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    I don't think Warren will be on the ticket in 2024. She'll be 75. Assuming Clinton/Kaine wins and goes two terms: Kaine/Booker 2024 ( Booker will be 55 and Kaine 66).
    It'll be an interesting question. Assuming Clinton wins and has at least a halfway decent tenure as president it does set Kaine up well for future runs.

Booker will have to decide if he wants to do the VP first route, or just hold on to jump straight to a presidential candidate. There are a few other folks that could be considered in that pool.

Wonder what the GOP field will look like in 4/8 years. I think this election is going to have consequences in the types of people run in the future.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    It'll be an interesting question. Assuming Clinton wins and has at least a halfway decent tenure as president it does set Kaine up well for future runs.

Booker will have to decide if he wants to do the VP first route, or just hold on to jump straight to a presidential candidate. There are a few other folks that could be considered in that pool.

Wonder what the GOP field will look like in 4/8 years. I think this election is going to have consequences in the types of people run in the future.
    Definitely a "come to Jesus" moment for the GOP. A loss for Trump will unleash a full-out civil war for the GOP between the nativist/populist/isolationist Trump faction and the more traditional " Rockefeller Republicans." I can't begin to imagine what that party will look like in 8 years. They are certainly running out of time to adapt to changing demographics and social mores.

It's all kind of moot. The chance of there being ANOTHER Democratic President after potentially 16 years of a Democratic President are near zero. I'm not sure it's ever happened. In fact, I don't think there's been more than 12 years of one party occupying the White House in the past 50 years.

Edit: The highest I could find for Democrats was FDR + Truman for 20 years, but that was with FDR serving three terms, something which has since been changed.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2016-07-26 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It's all kind of moot. The chance of there being ANOTHER Democratic President after potentially 16 years of a Democratic President are near zero. I'm not sure it's ever happened. In fact, I don't think there's been more than 12 years of one party occupying the White House in the past 50 years.
    I'm not sure historical data is going to be of much use given the complete turmoil and craziness of this (and I assume the next couple) election cycles.

If the Dems can unify and get to an agreed platform and the GOP splinters it could very well be the start of a long run of Democratic power at the national level. The reverse goes true as well -- if the GOP can find a way to unify and the Dems splinter it goes the other way.

The GOP, however, is losing the demographic war and badly. If they don't find a way to court future voters then they could very well see their ability to get a president elected vanish. There are signs that push is starting but the 2016 platform makes it clear they aren't willing to make that change yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I'm not sure historical data is going to be of much use given the complete turmoil and craziness of this (and I assume the next couple) election cycles.

If the Dems can unify and get to an agreed platform and the GOP splinters it could very well be the start of a long run of Democratic power at the national level. The reverse goes true as well -- if the GOP can find a way to unify and the Dems splinter it goes the other way.

The GOP, however, is losing the demographic war and badly. If they don't find a way to court future voters then they could very well see their ability to get a president elected vanish. There are signs that push is starting but the 2016 platform makes it clear they aren't willing to make that change yet.
    The GOP, if they lose this campaign, surely can't nominate such a disastrous candidate again. Of course, I said that after the last election, but somehow it got even worse. I think mainstream Republicans agree with that sentiment, but at the same time, there's a significant portion of their base who will continue to want Trump-esque candidates.

Back when the Tea Party was a thing, I thought their ideals were so foreign to the GOP I knew (Reagan, to them, would have been a RINO) that I thought they would splinter off into an actual third party. Instead, in a cynical attempt to keep power, the GOP catered to them - and it resulted directly in Trump. The breaking point has probably been reached. They have to grin and bear it for now, but if Trump loses in Novemeber, I can imagine the whole apparatus imploding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The GOP, if they lose this campaign, surely can't nominate such a disastrous candidate again. Of course, I said that after the last election, but somehow it got even worse. I think mainstream Republicans agree with that sentiment, but at the same time, there's a significant portion of their base who will continue to want Trump-esque candidates.
    Well I think this election has shown that the mainstream republicans aren't in charge of the party right now. Whether they can wrest control back if Trump loses remains to be seen. I sure hope so -- this new GOP party is even more frightening than the prior version.