Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post
    How many people here have done a single quest in Cata Desolace, Stonetalon mountains, Blasted Lands, Badlands, practically any zone not being a 1-10 zone

Stop lying. No you havent.
    So....what makes you think that the vanilla WOW zones have any other result? huh? Ever thought of that eh? Have you done the pre-cata zones 100%? eh?

-__- Let's be real, you haven't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Stonetalon mountains on the horde side is epic and temporarily made people actually like Garrosh when Blizzard was still in their schizophrenic phase with him.

If you havent done it, you are missing out.
    My favorite part of the zone was when garrosh kicked the traitor off the cliff with such a badass line to end it with. I LOVED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I hate the 'new world'.

Old Azeroth was way more beautiful. Yes many quests were grindy, but it was an amazing adventure and there were so many awesome quest chains spanning multiple zones. It was epic.

Now every zone is full of obnoxious pop culture references, questing on rails and the zones are fucking ugly now. It's like they were thinking how they could ruin the zones and then did it. Fuck Cataclysm.
    The issue wasn't that quests were grindy, it's that the levels for quest chains made no fucking sense.

This was Vanilla questing in a nutshell:

Quest 1: Kill 6 of this level 19 mob and 6 of this other level 19 mob.
    Quest 2: Kill 8 of this level 23 mob and 8 of this other level 23 mob.
    Quest 3: Kill 12 of this level 29 mob and 4 of this other level 29 mob. There's ass tons of the mob that you need 4 of and the ones you need 12 of have like 2 spawn points and they respawn every 1-45 minutes.
    Quest 4: Kill a level 32 elite that's surrounded by level 30s. This is a group quest.

That's like half of Vanilla questing, and it's fucking AIDS. If you start the questline at level 20 and you hit up all the other level 19-22 quests in the zone then you'll be 22 by the time you start on quest 2. So you finish quest 2, you're still 22 and then you get the next part that wants you to kill fucking 29s that you can barely hit. This is why people thought Vanilla questing was hard btw. There wasn't enough quests in a zone to finish the zone without resorting to having to kill shit that's way higher level than you. This is also why it took so long to level, because most people resorted to just grinding levels or smashing their faces against the mobs they can't hit. What you were supposed to do of course was to go find another level 19+ zone to quest in so you could get to like 25. Then you go back and finish that level 17+ zone that you left undone awhile go because that got to be too high of a level for you, etc, etc until you can actually go and kill those level 29s.

That all works out in a logistical sense, but all the running around between zones is time consuming and annoying. Furthermore, it rapes any sense of story that the zones have because you have to wait like 2 fucking days to do the next quest. If that all sounds fun to you, then you'd be plenty happy questing in Vanilla. PS: No ground mount in STV questing. *shudders*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I hate the 'new world'.

Old Azeroth was way more beautiful. Yes many quests were grindy, but it was an amazing adventure and there were so many awesome quest chains spanning multiple zones. It was epic.

Now every zone is full of obnoxious pop culture references, questing on rails and the zones are fucking ugly now. It's like they were thinking how they could ruin the zones and then did it. Fuck Cataclysm.
    Total agreement.

I think most people agree with this though. The old world was just better.

Its nothing more than a fucking TimeWaster.
    Sounds like just about every other video game on the face of the planet. Hmmm....

Back on topic, someone mentioned the surrealism of how old the environments of Azeroth are now. I can agree with this. I personally wish they could change the world more frequently, but I understand the difficulty of such a task.

I really miss the old world, I wish they could somehow preserve it like making a legacy server or allow every zone in retail to be entirely phased from new to old. Like they can do with Theramore and Nethergarde. These zones had a lot of atmosphere and mystery to it, without having these quick on-rails quests that take place in every inch of the zone. And I actually liked traveling some long distances on foot, its easy to feel immersed and appreciate the beauty of several zones. I quested troughout both the old and new world. While I really liked some of the questchains in the new world (Silverpine, Stoletalon and Hillsbrad usually come to mind), they don't come as close as some vanilla questchains like the one with Tirion that was just full of mystery, immersion and overall epicness. Mechanically the new questchains are better atleast, and I don't mind that they dropped a lot of its grindyness. But the old game was simply different but still a lot of fun, which I'd love to re-experience.

Deleted
    For all the people talking shit about vanilla and saying there is no appeal in it, i have a really simple answer:

Vanilla is not for you. You don't have to play it, final!

I just get why do you vanilla haters like to tell us what is fun and what is not, i mean something that's fun for me might not be for for you and that is fine, just please stop saying that the players that like vanilla are wrong because that's just retarded everyone likes different things. And i don't see how I playing the game the way I enjoy it the most is wrong.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Another discussion turned into Legacy servers rant...
    To be fair, this thread did remain in pristine condition for a full minute before the first Legacywhine arrived.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    How many people bothered with pre-Cata Desolace? Let's be real here. Don't be that guy.
    Not sure if serious or Casualscrub. Desolace was pretty great for Leveling. And you could grind there pretty nicely. And Blasted Lands was one of the best Zones out there. Perfect Grindquests. Superb XP/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I wish they'd add timewalking so we could go back and see the old quests. I have fond memories of the old Defias questline and I'd love to do it again on a live alt.
    Kinda like what they did with Blasted Lands in the pre-patch for WoD (it is the Cata revamp of the zone, but still). Could be cool; I'd certainly like to do a few old quests I missed out on.

OT - kinda; it has sort of devolved into an old world VS cata revamp so why not:

The only thing that genuinely annoys me with the Cataclysm revamp is the music in some zones. Like Elwynn Forest (that flute... uuuugh, it makes my ears bleed) and the Eastern Plaguelands (dun... duuun.. duuuun... DUUUUUUUUN!!!! I guess it's a tuba or something like that). Or the Twilight's Hammer themed soundtracks... Don't even get me started.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2016-07-25 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    Not sure if serious or Casualscrub. Desolace was pretty great for Leveling. And you could grind there pretty nicely. And Blasted Lands was one of the best Zones out there. Perfect Grindquests. Superb XP/hr.
    Desolace was horrible for leveling, few quests so much distance between them, xp/hour was bad. and blasted lands was not much better, you basically did the dreadlord quest for the bag and the ring. Sillithus was the worst zone by far but those other two were not as good as you think they were.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBull300 View Post
    Desolace was horrible for leveling, few quests so much distance between them, xp/hour was bad. and blasted lands was not much better, you basically did the dreadlord quest for the bag and the ring. Sillithus was the worst zone by far but those other two were not as good as you think they were.
    Bullshit! There were all the Quests for the Buffs that gave great XP!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompton View Post
    People who joined in WOTLK played through original Azeroth for 1 expansion, and cata Azeroth for 3 going on 4 expansions now.
    But, you should actually look from the start. At launch, we've had the old version for 3 releases, then for one, it all changed - and we've had the new one for 3 releases. Not really counting the cataclysm on the time line, as that is where it all happened.
    Just a little longer and we will finally get Legacy Servers and can stop playing that shitty Game they call WoW these days.
    You have a thread for that dead discussion on some page in the GenD section.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I really miss the old world, I wish they could somehow preserve it like making a legacy server or allow every zone in retail to be entirely phased from new to old. Like they can do with Theramore and Nethergarde. These zones had a lot of atmosphere and mystery to it, without having these quick on-rails quests that take place in every inch of the zone. And I actually liked traveling some long distances on foot, its easy to feel immersed and appreciate the beauty of several zones. I quested troughout both the old and new world. While I really liked some of the questchains in the new world (Silverpine, Stoletalon and Hillsbrad usually come to mind), they don't come as close as some vanilla questchains like the one with Tirion that was just full of mystery, immersion and overall epicness. Mechanically the new questchains are better atleast, and I don't mind that they dropped a lot of its grindyness. But the old game was simply different but still a lot of fun, which I'd love to re-experience.
    Very much agree. Quest hubs and certain areas on rails isn't bad. But a world should have some huge empty zones too.

Dustwallow marsh used to have almost no quests, as an alliance warlock you had to find an old witch in a cabbin in the middle of nowhere there. It was amazing, immersive and kept you on edge. I used to love that, and you can't have that if every single zone is jam packed with quests and hubs.

I also HATE HATE HATE the trying to be funnt obnoxious pop culture referenses. In vanilla they were very subtle and few and far between. Now they break immersion so hard. I turn up the music, turn off all XP gains, use headphones and prepare for a nice leveling immersive experience then some quest text literally makes me vomit and die.

EDIT; Made this thread not to hate on current contents, just cause I was surprised and felt really old when I found this random fact out.

Its free, Kid! Its nothing more than a fucking TimeWaster.
    Time is money friend, as the saying go.

And you must have a lot to waste to spend it on something "shitty".

Serioulsy, money or not, why are you spending time on something you do not like? Why not do something you enjoy rather than something you don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    I've done loremaster on both factions on both sides of the Shattering, so... me?
    And me. Although it was only some time in Wrath when I found the Argent Crusade guy.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Into View Post
    How many people here have done a single quest in Cata Desolace, Stonetalon mountains, Blasted Lands, Badlands, practically any zone not being a 1-10 zone

Stop lying. No you havent.
    Blasted Lands and Badlands aren't that awful to quest in. Can't really remember what the experience in Stonetalon was like, but I just remember lots of cross-NPC combat and most of the landscape being ruined.

Desolace is just a terrible zone, can't argue with that. Your experience as Alliance is trekking up and down a mountain to turn in quests and pick up new ones. Then you get sent to some Night Elf ruins for your next hub....which is on top of a steep cliff....with quests that involve a lot of swimming....with a quest NPC that's hostile without a quest item....that is located on top of an Archaeology node. It's the only time I can remember that I actually said to myself "Fuck this shit, I'd rather waste half an hour to get to EK than continue here".

If they ever decide to fix low level questing they could definitely convert most of the questlines into scenario style quests, with objectives updating. Running back to a questgiver for a follow-up quest in the same area is just terrible game design. That's one of the two main gripes I have about questing. The other is how easy it is to outlevel a zone. Just make everything scale up to X level or let players take a flight path to the first hub of the next zone. My latest experience in Desolace was made extra sour because I decided to do a dungeon very early on in Ashenvale. Completed it and the entire group queued up for a few more dungeons. By the time I got out I had outleveled both Ashenvale and Stonetalon Mountains. There's currently nothing in place to quickly get you where you need to be. Foolish me decided to give Desolace a try. Navigated through Ashenvale and Stonetalon Mountains on a 60% mount only to be treated with the shit zone that Desolace is.

7+ Year Old Account
    TimeWaster.
    timewaster* ..... not a proper noun

Just a little longer and we will finally get Legacy Servers and can stop playing that shitty Game they call WoW these days.
    Well that didn't take long.

Deleted
    these empty arguments against vanilla will all be for naught when ppl realise legion is literally wod 2.0 and ppl start complaining for vanilla realms again we will have vanilla servers if u like it or not.

Desolace in Vanilla was one of my favourite zones - I loved the whole desolate feel, I leveled multiple characters through it. And it was so damned quiet too.

Must admit it was mainly Alliance characters I played though, so maybe the zone was worse for Horde.