Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    **Addendum on Holo's Personality
    I think sometimes people confuse Holo as a tsundere
    I just always got the petty bitch vibe off her

Since so many people hold Orange in such high regard, I watched the first four episodes that have aired. Mixed bag for me.

I like the characters. None of them are bad and the series doesn't feel like it's trying to pander to anybody with them, which is something I appreciate. So often the characters are designed to be people's favorites ("best girl") and become formulaic for it. I also like how the future letters temper the drama of the present. That is, most school shows thrive on the drama seeming all-engrossing, in the same way that the students themselves experience it. I find this off putting since it is, by definition, juvenile. But this series has managed to keep the portrayal accurate while not stooping to endorsing it as much.

I also really like how Naho isn't able to follow all of the advice. It makes it much more spot on when she fails because it is hard to say and do these things, even if your future self says its important. Just getting the letter doesn't make it happen on its own.

That said, I have no personal stake in school shows. It's better than average but ultimately it relies on having some fondness or resonance with that period in your life. As I have neither it limits the ability of the series to impact me. So I don't think it's bad, but I'm not sure if I'll get much out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I just always got the petty bitch vibe off her
    I feel like 'petty' is better understood as 'capricious.' That is, I think of petty as somebody who automatically succumbs to baser instincts. Holo does this with food, but not with people. Instead I view her as doing things a bit on a whim, which is understandable for a near-immortal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually been getting irritated by Orange. I like all of the characters, but I swear to god, if Naho doesn't follow one bit of advice, she deserves any 'pain' for this. I understand what you mean, Neichus, but my god. From all of the talk of this manga, I was expecting for the characters to suffer more, not me

I feel like 'petty' is better understood as 'capricious.' That is, I think of petty as somebody who automatically succumbs to baser instincts. Holo does this with food, but not with people. Instead I view her as doing things a bit on a whim, which is understandable for a near-immortal.
    i use petty because she basically gets mad for no reason a lot of times (why people probably say tsundere) and doesn't communicate. if someone is as old as she is she should be able to get over minor things or at least talk about them. I mean now that I'm older I get mad over less of the dumbass things I would have when I was a teenager.

although if people actually talked about things like 99% of animes would be finished in a couple episodes.

I also really like how Naho isn't able to follow all of the advice. It makes it much more spot on when she fails because it is hard to say and do these things, even if your future self says its important. Just getting the letter doesn't make it happen on its own.
    Orange - I really like the theme of the show: you can always look back and regret something and say you'd do it differently, but when given the actually opportunity, it's not so easy especially if it goes against your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I've actually been getting irritated by Orange. I like all of the characters, but I swear to god, if Naho doesn't follow one bit of advice, she deserves any 'pain' for this. I understand what you mean, Neichus, but my god. From all of the talk of this manga, I was expecting for the characters to suffer more, not me
    See spoiler above. It's also only 4 episodes in.

I also think this show had to be set in school because otherwise all of the characters would've have been thrown together (transfer student trope, gotta love it). School settings don't necessarily resonate with me either because I don't really look back with fondness at my school years; I was there, I went to class, made a handful of temporary friends, and moved on with my life after graduation. It might be that I'm from a military town so nobody stuck around after graduation, but I didn't get too attached to anybody due to the transient nature of where I lived. I think the premise of Orange in itself is interesting enough on its own to where I can get invested in it despite not caring for school settings all that much.

Speaking of school settings...

ReLIFE 136 & 137 - I really like how this manga is able to illustrate how differently adults handle situation as compared to teenagers, without resorting to "teenagers are just dumb."

10+ Year Old Account
    i use petty because she basically gets mad for no reason a lot of times (why people probably say tsundere) and doesn't communicate. if someone is as old as she is she should be able to get over minor things or at least talk about them. I mean now that I'm older I get mad over less of the dumbass things I would have when I was a teenager.

although if people actually talked about things like 99% of animes would be finished in a couple episodes.
    Most mature age adults in the real world still haven't figured this out either.

You just forget it when you're not watching from the outside.

nah i just probably forget it because i don't have any friends

it just seems exceptionally bad in anime

10+ Year Old Account
    Since so many people hold Orange in such high regard, I watched the first four episodes that have aired. Mixed bag for me.

I like the characters. None of them are bad and the series doesn't feel like it's trying to pander to anybody with them, which is something I appreciate. So often the characters are designed to be people's favorites ("best girl") and become formulaic for it. I also like how the future letters temper the drama of the present. That is, most school shows thrive on the drama seeming all-engrossing, in the same way that the students themselves experience it. I find this off putting since it is, by definition, juvenile. But this series has managed to keep the portrayal accurate while not stooping to endorsing it as much.

That said, I have no personal stake in school shows. It's better than average but ultimately it relies on having some fondness or resonance with that period in your life. As I have neither it limits the ability of the series to impact me. So I don't think it's bad, but I'm not sure if I'll get much out of it.
    I dropped it half way through the first episode. Literally no redeeming features.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Literally no redeeming features.
    Just like your taste in anime <3

10+ Year Old Account
    nah i just probably forget it because i don't have any friends

it just seems exceptionally bad in anime
    It is exceptionally bad in anime because they simplify the shit out of it, but at least anime doesn't have consequences beyond the medium.

Communication (well, a lack of it) is usually one of the biggest issues in any given company/organisation/workplace and not a single one of them has perfected the art yet. A large number of poor decisions and poor performance can be pinned down to it. Signed, someone who used to work for a bully manager.

Also, have you ever paid attention to politics? It epitomises how petty and poor at communicating adults can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Just like your taste in anime <3
    Well that was completely savage.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Well that was completely savage.
    Sorry I saw an opportunity and took it

We're Illyabros though so we have that going for us

Sorry I saw an opportunity and took it

We're Illyabros though so we have that going for us
    illya 3rei ep 3 stitch https://i.sli.mg/ETaaVI.jpg

illya 3rei ep 3 stitch https://i.sli.mg/ETaaVI.jpg
    The only thing that scene was missing was her nosebleeding over Saber.

The only thing that scene was missing was her nosebleeding over Saber.

can't wait for illya saber lily

**Addendum on Holo's Personality
    Slight Spice & Wolf spoilers below:

I would argue she is (resident Tsun expert inc). Tsunderes can vary over a very large range, but typically fall into two categories: Type A, where they start as the Tsun and shift to the Dere, and Type B, where they start as the Dere and shift to the Tsun. The problem is, over the years, the typing has become bastardized and now when most people think of the typical Tsundere, they think of a character like Shana (hence the term "Shana Clone" used for characters, especially those voiced by Rie Kugimiya), where they have a really harsh, outgoing side, typically loud and rude, and when the MC gets far enough along, they suddenly switch to dere mode. A lot of authors use it for comedy or drama, because it's easy, Japanese otaku love it (wish fulfillment), and allows them to do as they wish - we ourselves make fun of it in this very Thread (and it's past incarnation).

In my opinion, Holo is an example of a unique tsundere done [I]well[/I], which makes all the difference. It's slight, and hard to make out (I think she's closer to B than A), but Holo exhibits the traits: She hides her true feelings, she's generally nice and has an outgoing personality, but can quickly reveal a deeper, abrasive personality underneath (usually when she's clashing with her inner feelings). She's forceful, demanding, and at the same time, has a gentle side.

You labeled it yourself: Her pride prevents her from opening up, and so she cannot bring herself to openly show affection often. She's not a textbook, common, modern-day example, but that's what makes her good example.

Too right Saber is Kawaii

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Too right Saber is Kawaii
    yay hudson is back

was wondering since it's been around 24 hours

Exhibit A as to why Caster is Fate's true best girl

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember, "I saw an opportunity and I took it. Because that's what heroes do."