Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Can Islam And Western Society Ever Peacefully Co-exist?

It's a tricky one. Had a very good discussion with a friend of mine the other day. She is pretty right leaning while I tend more center/left. But I'll give her that she made some arguments that I couldn't really counter.

The main one is that fundamental Islam has a lot of elements that inevitably lead to conflicts with other religions and ideologies, often violently and that it's very difficult to make peace with anyone who at a certain level wants you dead.

Without going into the ins and outs of religion in general, is there any way that Muslims in general can integrate with Western society at large or are we going to reach a point where a religion is going to need to be treated like a fringe hate group?

Is it a matter of culture and application/misapplication of the faith, or is it a problem with the teachings themselves?

Note: I'm talking about fundamentalist Islam here. I am aware that there are a lot of people who practice all sorts of religion peacefully.

I'm also not trying to take any sides here. I am very much ignorant on what exactly Islamism entails and what is so scary about it.

EDIT: 5 Pages thus far without major flames and some pretty interesting information from both sides. Good reading thus far.
    Last edited by Lost Zero; 2016-07-25 at 09:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. The same way that we manage to have Catholics and Protestants living alongside one another.

Not really. Some might be able to adapt to Western Culture but most will not. Its stupid to force the issue.
    PROUD TO BE CALLED A CONSPIRACY THEORIST

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Zero View Post
    It's a tricky one. Had a very good discussion with a friend of mine the other day. She is pretty right leaning while I tend more center/left. But I'll give her that she made some arguments that I couldn't really counter.

The main one is that fundamental Islam has a lot of elements that inevitably lead to conflicts with other religions and ideologies, often violently and that it's very difficult to make peace with anyone who at a certain level wants you dead.

Without going into the ins and outs of religion in general, is there any way that Muslims in general can integrate with Western society at large or are we going to reach a point where a religion is going to need to be treated like a fringe hate group?
    If you mean coexist with Western Democracy, then probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Zero View Post

We have 3.3 million Muslims in the U.S.A. as of 2015, if we couldn't peacefully co-exist with them we would be in big trouble. There are far more cases of peaceful co-existing with Muslims or any religious group than cases of them being nutty and hurting people.

Yeah so does Christianity and Judaism.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Not while Western society isn't Islam.

Deleted
    Fascism and democracy never worked well together but they might be able to if forced by no other choice. If fascism gets the upper hand though then no. A system build on a form of autocracy is hard to combine with western values.

well considering that the quran and the bible are virtually indentical. Yeah.

The problem is not whole Islam but a small portion of it who are fanatics. You know the people who stone their daughters for not marrying the guy they tell them so, the people who kill gay, the people who execute others in the open like dogs for not following Sharia to the letter etc.

No. Religious people of all creeds or beliefs have no place within civil society. Humanity needs to cast away of the shackles of oppression that religion is forcing on us. If you are religious you are the problem. Religion has no place in these times.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    The answer to that is: No.

These are two vastly different cultures that simply do not mix, like water and oil.
    We just need an emulsifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    We have 3.3 million Muslims in the U.S.A. as of 2015, if we couldn't peacefully co-exist with them we would be in big trouble. There are far more cases of peaceful co-existing with Muslims or any religious group than cases of them being nutty and hurting people.

Yeah so does Christianity and Judaism.
    Note: I'm not talking about Muslims in general. I'm talking about the fundamentalists.

I think a lot of people practice whatever their religion is in a personal way that is at least somewhat geared to fit in with society. I'm not an expert, but fundamental Islamism seems very much focused on the subjugation, conversion or destruction of all other ideologies.

Why is it that Islam is associated with so much insanity these days? Genuine question - is it the higher ups leading the charge, or is it an issue with the belief system and it's teachings in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes. The same way that we manage to have Catholics and Protestants living alongside one another.
    The primary difference is one of the two has had its extreme portions move beyond the Middle Ages.

This statement is disingenuous at best.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    well considering that the quran and the bible are virtually indentical. Yeah.
    You should really,really read the Quran...

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    You should really,really read the Quran...
    I haven't, actually. I must admit that aside from snippets I've heard here and there, I'm rather ignorant regarding the text. What are the major differences?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    The primary difference is one of the two has had its extreme portions move beyond the Middle Ages.
    So you're admitting it's a function of socioeconomic development rather than 'faith'.

The fanatical Islam, no. They contradict too much with our own society and ethics. Your everyday moderate Muslim? Sure, we are living proof of such co-existence. There is a difference btw.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    The fact that we house Muslim immigrants, give them food housing and welfare and still they want to kill us, even their kids who grew up here, should say enough. They celebrate in the streets when the 9/11 attacks happen and we think throwing money and morals at them is gonna change anything. It's hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Fundamental Islam cannot. It is in essence about surrender, while western society is about freedom.

But luckily not all Muslims are fundamentalists, so yes, its possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Fundamental Islam cannot. It is in essence about surrender, while western society is about freedom.
    Lol...what?