Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Nope. Muslims claim that their God is the same as the Christian God. The Christians claim that their God is the same as the OT God. Christians disagree with the first claim, Jews disagree with both claims.
    They can disagree all they want, but that doesn't change the historical truths of the matter. They are all worshipping the God of Ibrahim. They all believe God revealed himself to Abraham. They just happen to strongly disagree about many of the other details.

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    Pretty much every Religious Education lesson, having a devout Christian teach you about the bible as an actual GCSE (UK thing) course that you had to take. No mention of other religions at all, which is a shame, as I'd probably have enjoyed questioning those views as much as I did the Bible's view.
    Religious Education is only mandatory until year 9, after which it becomes optional.

RE in my school was taught by an atheist world-wandering former hippy, who taught us about everything from Islam to Hinduism to Zoroastrianism and everythng inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonthor View Post
    If I change your quote multiple times as I see fit, can I still call it a quote?

kwəʊt/Submit
    verb
    repeat or copy out (words from a text or speech written or spoken by another person).

That's the point I'm trying to make.
    One would have to assume that the initial writing was correct in order to make it more valid. If it was wrong initially, then not changing it doesn't make it correct.

If I say 1+1=3 for a thousand years without ever changing, does that make my statement more valid?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2016-07-25 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Why don't people read the bible before attacking the quran? Just as much violent shit in the bible as the quran

I have read and memorized most part of the Quran from how much I have read it. Those violent parts are taken out of contexts when dealing with traitors. Which every country in the world is executing.

Watch this video for clarification/source.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9b9RPg4F7k

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    One would have to assume that the initial writing was correct in order to make it more valid. If it was wrong initially, then not changing it doesn't make it correct.

If I say 1+1=3 for a thousand years without ever changing, does that make my statement more valid?

Yes you are correct. I misunderstood you.

They can disagree all they want, but that doesn't change the historical truths of the matter.
    And the historical truth is that they don't agree that they are worshipping the same god, despite some people claiming it.
    The inability to respect the opinions of others- and the inability to change; those are not virtues - they are fundamental flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You can't show Muhammed on TV.
    OR pedophilia.
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    The people you are calling "terrorists" are in fact "freedom-fighters", no amount of stabbings is going to change this.

Which Qur'an? The one you read in a crusader website? Or the one that is translated by Islamic scholars?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Which Qur'an? The one you read in a crusader website? Or the one that is translated by Islamic scholars?
    There is only 1 "version" of the Quran.

There are multiple translations with different choice of words, but it forever remains 1 version.

The bible has multiple versions.

There are multiple translations with different choice of words, but it forever remains 1 version.

That's what I meant by "version".

I have read and memorized most part of the Quran from how much I have read it. Those violent parts are taken out of contexts when dealing with traitors. Which every country in the world is executing.
    False. Western Europe does not execute traitors - there is no death penalty in western Europe; not even for traitors.

The death penalty for traitors existed a hundred years ago, but western Europe has changed.

The bible have multiple versions? what?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    The people you are calling "terrorists" are in fact "freedom-fighters", no amount of stabbings is going to change this.

i would call this crowd the "Social Justice Warriors" and pseudo liberals or to simply put it, as Maajid said, "the regressives" that defend Islam no matter what because they have this assumption that "ALL" Muslims are brown and they could do no wrong, and this fallacious belief that everything is white peoples fault and those Muslims face oppression by the whites. and of course some of these regressives haven't read the Quran but they haven't read the bible either. They are not interested in dialog when it comes to attacking the Quaran but really interested when it is the bible that is being attacked. They would go batshit crazy over some Christians refusing to bake a gay wedding Cake but goes silent about honor killings and when gay people are thrown off of buildings.

it is not they are defending the Quran because they haven't read it, however, it is because of this false assumption that "ALL" Muslims are brown skinned and they must fight for this "oppressed" Minority.

And the historical truth is that they don't agree that they are worshipping the same god, despite some people claiming it.
    The inability to respect the opinions of others- and the inability to change; those are not virtues - they are fundamental flaws.
    They can believe what they want, but all three religions happen to believe that their god is the God of Abraham. I didn't say that they agreed they were worshiping the same God, only that the major religions are worshiping the same God... whether they want to recognize it or not.

Of course, maybe three completely different Gods revealed themselves to Abraham.

Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    The Christian bible has been poorly translated several times over, parts have been removed, others added. The modern bible is very different to the original.

False. Western Europe does not execute traitors - there is no death penalty in western Europe; not even for traitors.

The death penalty for traitors existed a hundred years ago, but western Europe has changed.
    What is different between western, southern, eastern and northern europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    Yes. Some versions have books thrown out and some versions have books added in.

King james version
    New international version
    New revised standard version
    Roman catholics have their own version

...etc

They can believe what they want, but all three religions happen to believe that their god is the God of Abraham.
    But they don't agree that the God of the others is the God of Abraham. Thus it is false to state that they worship the same God.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I've read most of the Hafs Qur'an, and most of the Christian Bible (both KJV and NIV versions) - but in the typical run of things I usually only defend either book when people misquote or quote them out of context. Both books are full a vile things completely within a valid context, but regardless people tend to either completely make up quotes or incompletely quote the books to back a narrative in their own head (or one they're parroting from their rage-inducing news source of choice). I'm not a religious person by nature, but I like to know things and I like to understand the position of those who would try to make the laws I'm forced to live under.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Because they don't want to be called racists.

lol

No religious text I've had the joys of reading does well if you scrutinize it, especially on comparing it's morality to our current morality. Ancient times, ancient views on ancient topics, even in Christian churches they skip entire books of the bible as their messages are not going to help them spread the word of a loving god who wants to save you from your sins. Probably hard to look at David the same way after his whole killing 200 Philistines for their foreskins in order to marry King Saul's daughter Michal, true the entire thing was a plot to have David die in battle as Saul was getting a tad jealous of the fellow at this point.
    When people speak of the bloodbath which is game of thrones, I ponder how closely they read the bible.. it's got a pretty hefty death count. Only one fellow actually doesn't die in it, carried off to heaven cause God felt they were such a good man they did not deserve the pain of death.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2016-07-25 at 11:29 AM.