Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I see it everywhere on this forum and others. Why do people defend to the death something they show time and time again to have no understanding of?

It is utterly maddening to me.
    Why does no one read the Quran Bible before defending it?

See how that works?

I've read some passages and couldn't understand it at all.

it's like pre medieval grammar because it was never changed or updated during history (unlike the bible). That's why you have clerics and guys studying it and tell you what's inside it. (and the bible you read now isn't the original one neither and is also has an interpretation)

Of course those guys just interpret it the way they want and then you get ISIS but also the complete opposite.

Imo, Islam (or religion in general) is not bad in it's core, it's just abused always by people to gain power. Same happened with Christianity (and still happens).

I have more faith in a total atheist than I do have in a very religious person. Using god or religion as an excuse for your deeds is just very lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Stop.

Every post you saying something stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_to_Judaism

There are rules for conversion, but conversion is open to anyone. There is only one denomination of Judaism that doesn't accept converts, namely Syrian Judaism, there are about 80000 of them in Israel and 75000 in the US. Every other form of Judaism accepts converts.
    I'm aware that most variants of Judaism accept converts - but there is a major difference:
    Most (all?) variants of Christianity want people to convert to Christianity - whereas Judaism accepts convert.

That is actually a major difference, explaining why there is more than a billion Christians and just a few million Judaists.

And yet despite the "advancements" in modern society things haven't changed in a thousand years where mankind chooses its beliefs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    This.
    No seriously, people choose to put their faith (heh) in a book that is ancient. From a time when people believed the world was flat and the sun was spinning around the earth, from when people thought women who had a deep understanding of medicine were witches and lynched them.

These books were, if you ask me, were written by men in order to control people and oppress women. I don't know, maybe there really is a god but a fucking ancient book certainly isn't going to proof jack shit in our day and age.
    Even if the book was modern, written a few years ago... It is still just one book, written by some guy(s)/girl(s). Maybe people should believe a bit more in themselves and a bit less in others telling them how to live.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Why is this discussion even necessary? Some people just argue for the sake of arguing. It's a book full of metaphorical crap like the bible or any other piece of religious litterature. The fact that anyone feel like devoting their life to it is beyond me, but hey, now I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. Sooooo... Fliida out *mic drop*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I'm aware that most variants of Judaism accept converts - but there is a major difference:
    Most (all?) variants of Christianity want people to convert to Christianity - whereas Judaism accepts convert.

That is actually a major difference, explaining why there is more than a billion Christians and just a few million Judaists.
    The whole reason of baptise and "forgive your sins" was to be able to get new people into set religion. It's like an infomercial "Are you a sinner? Do you want to feel good and all to be better? Join christianity and all will be forgiven!"

But no, can't compare christianity to islam since they have totally different core values and teachings. One is for peace and love the other is for conquer and rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    All Abrahamic religions have violence and hatred on their books. Why? Because it's partly historical and partly propagandistic.

That's the power of written words, it leads to multiple interpretations. Do you know which other books led to violence and hatred? The Wealth of Nations, Das Kapital and Mein Kampf (although this last one was kinda explicit).
    I don't understand why you put 'The Wealth of Nations' there - having read all of them I don't see the inherent violence in that book.

Judaism is not proselytizing, but that is not what you said.

What you said is...

the idea that the faith is open for everyone - which is also different from the Jewish faith
    Judaism is open to everyone, they just don't much care about converting people, but again that is not what you said.

Really...

You believe people should defend things from a point of utter ignorance?

Dare I ask why?
    Utter ignorance? And we have no understanding of it? Shoot your questions already. Your claims are misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    The whole reason of baptise and "forgive your sins" was to be able to get new people into set religion. It's like an infomercial "Are you a sinner? Do you want to feel good and all to be better? Join christianity and all will be forgiven!"
    And everything will be good after death - ensuring that only the dead can check the claims; and they are usually silent.

Deleted
    I don't understand why you put 'The Wealth of Nations' there - having read all of them I don't see the inherent violence in that book.
    I didn't said that The Wealth of Nations has inherent violence in the book, neither Das Kapital has. But both were fundamentally followed in several cases, which led to violence and hatred.

But no, can't compare christianity to islam since they have totally different core values and teachings. One is for peace and love the other is for conquer and rule.
    That is one of the many possible interpretations.

Just as Christianity spent much of the 14th to late 20th century going around the world and converting huge masses of people at gun point, in the name of "Civilization and Jesus".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ...nd_colonialism

Deleted

Just as Christianity spent much of the 14th to late 20th century going around the world and converting huge masses of people at gun point, in the name of "Civilization and Jesus".

It still happens nowadays.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2015/08/cen...tian-militias/

Deleted

All done because of the inherit good moral values christianity has. It's not hard to see why you would want to push and even force christianity on people you colonized that had deviant religious practices like rape, child molestation, sexual organs altering or even human sacrifice. All that's prohibided by christianity and they easiest part of it that was popular back then and now as well "The 10 commandments".

Deleted
    And muslim militia does the same, even terrorist attacks. There wars there are pushed by war lords and not religion as much.

All done because of the inherit good moral values christianity has. It's not hard to see why you would want to push and even force christianity on people you colonized that had deviant religious practices like rape, child molestation, sexual organs altering or even human sacrifice. All that's prohibided by christianity and they easiest part of it that was popular back then and now as well "The 10 commandments".
    You might want to tell that to all the Christians and Christian groups that support murder, rape, and child molestation. I do not think they got the message.

Deleted
    And muslim militia does the same, even terrorist attacks. There wars there are pushed by war lords and not religion as much.
    All wars are pushed by "warlords" and economical reasons. Religions are just a pretext.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You might want to tell that to all the Christians and Christian groups that support murder, rape, and child molestation. I do not think they got the message.
    Dunno who they are, but it's against christian teachings. Same can be said for every religion or even no religion. Invalid argument, try again.

- - - Updated - - -

All wars are pushed by "warlords" and economical reasons. Religions are just a pretext.
    Africa is warlord teritory. If you are a millionare you can apply for one and rule a zone in Africa. Yet none of them are supported by the curent official churches. This isn't the Middle Ages with the crusades and Pope giving orders and going to war.

I see it everywhere on this forum and others. Why do people defend to the death something they show time and time again to have no understanding of?

It is utterly maddening to me.
    Have you actually read it OP? Or just watched some random videos on youtube were there are quotes taken out. You seem intent on asking other people to read but I highly doubt you have read it yourself.