Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    And a lot of cops do. It just gets shut out by our media.

I'm not a cop but I work with a lot because of my job and they all berate the living fuck out of these dipshit officers that do stuff like the one in the OP.

Sadly most people realize that cops do great work and that it's only the very very few that fuck up (intentionally or otherwise) yet the vocal minority makes it out to seem like some epidemic.
    I think you'd be surprised how many officers actually disagree with that stuff even in the shittier parts of the country. They just don't have a voice to make that known.

I'm not advocating that all police are perfect. Not by a long stretch. I certainly believe that the officer involved in the OP should be fired and jailed for shooting that man.

What I argue against is when people try and claim all police are bad m'kay when an officer does something like this.
    Great arguments, i will use these exact words and just exchange police with muslim in the next islamophobe thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The judicial problems have way more to do with cop attitude than you realize. Prosecutors that successfully bring police to trial and convict often find very uncooperative police when they get involved in later trials.
    Absolutely. But I do understand why cops are so protective of their own. As they should be. But I agree that they need to learn to let the shitty ones go when the time comes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Great arguments, i will use these exact words and just exchange police with muslim in the next islamophobe thread.
    I've said that about Muslims as well.

I have many Muslims friends and think they are great people. I worked with a lot of amazing Muslim folk over in Iraq.

If you haven't seen that it's not my fault.

And if you are actually genuine and not trolling then I apologize. Hard to tell over the interwebs.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    I've said that about Muslims as well.

I have many Muslims friends and think they are great people. I worked with a lot of amazing Muslim folk over in Iraq.

If you haven't seen that it's not my fault.

And if you are actually genuine and not trolling then I apologize. Hard to tell over the interwebs.
    No i was genuine, i think you worded it perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    No i was genuine, i think you worded it perfectly.
    Ok cool. I figured that could be the case. But people take shit so weirdly on here it's hard to tell lol
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

And a lot of cops do. It just gets shut out by our media.

I'm not a cop but I work with a lot because of my job and they all berate the living fuck out of these dipshit officers that do stuff like the one in the OP.

Sadly most people realize that cops do great work and that it's only the very very few that fuck up (intentionally or otherwise) yet the vocal minority makes it out to seem like some epidemic.
    Local cops in my area all protect themselves. The union rep goes on tv/radio and skirts around the issues, even when there is full video evidence saying that the video doesn't show the whole story. However when there is video evidence of a crime being committed by a regular citizen on a shitty 640x480 security cam that is plenty for cops to haul them in. It's just hypocrisy, and as long as they are protecting their own above all else, they will have an uphill battle gaining public trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    I don't think anyone is claiming that literally all police are bad. I think the problem is that the current framework of both typical officer mentality and the extremely protectionist setup of police unions makes it very difficult to distinguish good cops from bad cops at a distance. 99.999999% of them could be great, but the current system makes it almost impossible to pick out and remove that 0.000001%, which is a problem.
    Part of the issue is the "gotta be first!" press, they rarely wait for actual information. Clickbait news has also made it better to slant a story towards the sensational, regardless of the social damage it might do. Flip side of that is that investigations are almost always very close-mouthed about facts until it's settled and done, and its rare that news follows the ending of a story.

There is also the feeling among police, like among soldiers, that they often get criticized by people that don't understand the issues they face. Any time a cop makes a mistake, it can cost someones life, like a doctor, but of course it's always seen as criminal by the people affected. In a snap decision made under full adrenaline, something goes wrong and everyone says "send the cop to jail for life!" like in this thread. Other cops understand this and feel very protective.

But really, when police do something, there are folks that investigate it on many different levels. The investigation is not publicized anymore than most other investigations are. You don't see news stories about cops questioning folks about a robbery, just news on the robbery, so always assuming there is no investigation is wrong as well. Even when it's a clearly justified shooting, there's still an investigation.

And yeah, you're right, no prosecutor is going to do well going after cops often. Not just because it makes things difficult going forward, but you're dealing with someone you may personally know. That's what special prosecutors are for though.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."