Thread: Ouch, disc pvp?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ouch, disc pvp?

Hey all,

So I know everything is upside down right now with prepatch balance. But after several bgs as Disc. I'm rather frustrated. Finding several dps classes out healing me Warlocks, Warriors even..
    Still learning the new Disc play style but dang, seems rough. Anyone else having issues with Disc and pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Disc is very underpowered in both PvE and PvP at the moment. It seems to have gotten bitch-slapped by the "balanced around 110 gear+artifacts" stick harder than any other spec.

I'd recommend avoiding it until Legion releases, tbh.
    Frustrating. Been playing Disc for 11 years and I don't want to stop now.

I believe this sums it up perfectly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

Im rerolling priest for legion, been playing beta and when prepatch hit i logged on the try it at 100. I rarely get beaten in Healing done and if i do it isnt by much and my damage is really high... I was thinking we were over tuned. After some BGs tonight Ill post some screenshots.

You just have to adapt, that is all. Disc is very strong actually, you just dont only heal. You deal damage primarily. And dish out clarity of will whenever you got a second without being attacked. Smite debuff is very powerful as it negates a ton of damage from opponents attacks. It works roughly like a shield, and it also heals the fellas that have attonement running.

Quote Originally Posted by Iannis View Post
    Frustrating. Been playing Disc for 11 years and I don't want to stop now.

I believe this sums it up perfectly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY
    "been playing for 11 years, subpar for a month during prepatch...better stop playing priest!" seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction.

Ran some Timewalking tonight as disc. One thing I noticed is how miserable our healing is when there's a lot of mobs. Everything else was simple easy but large packs of mobs was too rough for the disc play style. PW:S absorbs less damage than what a single mob hits for. I ran with Schism instead of Penitent and it was a struggle, but I prefer to learn by trial of fire. There's a lot of set-up it seems. We're suffering the same thing Resto shaman suffered back in BC - having to set-up for our rotation before any fighting happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Ran some Timewalking tonight as disc. One thing I noticed is how miserable our healing is when there's a lot of mobs. Everything else was simple easy but large packs of mobs was too rough for the disc play style. PW:S absorbs less damage than what a single mob hits for. I ran with Schism instead of Penitent and it was a struggle, but I prefer to learn by trial of fire. There's a lot of set-up it seems. We're suffering the same thing Resto shaman suffered back in BC - having to set-up for our rotation before any fighting happens.
    I found in that situation from my testing, your best bet is to Pain supp and throw out shadow mends as needed, keeping all Mobs with PTW and penance on cooldown, Also Rapture comes in handy in times like that.

From my testing in Timewalking (not PvP, I know) I found great success in SW:P on every mob possible with atonement on whomever needs it. The trickle heal really helps out and when you need the burst healing either penance or shadow mend. Disc is in a very awkward spot at the moment considering it's not really a "true" healer anymore but rather a hybrid. It honestly reminds me of tBC restokin minus OP cyclone.

I did a good bit of PVPing yesterday especially with healing just to get a feel of what it was like.

I tried the following classes:
    Discipline Priest
    Mistweaver Monk
    Resto Shaman

Here is my analysis of each:
    MistWeaver Monk - Currently without PVP talents the class is just missing too much. At the moment once you start to get trained there is nothing you can do. Without Rolls to break snares and roots all your escape options which you are supposed to have is cut. Getting away is just not possible at the moment. That being said when not being trained probably healed the most out of the 3 specs.

Resto Shaman - Better than Monk in terms of having all the tools you need to heal. However, you no longer have Frost Shock which makes it very difficult to kite with the stun totem and Hex you can get good openings to heal yourself and others.

Discipline Priest - Still the best in terms of survivability among the 3 but probably healed the least when not trained healed. The part that makes Discipline Priest harder to lock down is that you have 2 schools for healing with Shadow being your better tree for healing with Shadow Mend. You penance (assuming you are taking penitence talent) yourself which gets kicked then you just swap to mass shadow mending yourself and if you take Masochism shadow mend places on HoT on you as well. Usually in 1v1 situations I was able to stablize the damage then start dealing damage back. Thanks to lower self healing in this round I was able to successfully fend off most 1v1 encounters.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are really weak right now, consider the fact that there is a huge dps/healing ability in our first artifact trait and a 15% increse to our spammed dps ability (aka healing through atonement) in the second slot. That being said i would much prefer that Atonement were applied automatically instead of through a direct heal with maybe a slight buff if you do a direct heal on someone. Because as it stand in pre-patch you often have to let people die instead of apply atonement so that the tank can live. Coupled with the fact that mastery is pointless and thats what I stacked makes it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    We are really weak right now, consider the fact that there is a huge dps/healing ability in our first artifact trait and a 15% increse to our spammed dps ability (aka healing through atonement) in the second slot. That being said i would much prefer that Atonement were applied automatically instead of through a direct heal with maybe a slight buff if you do a direct heal on someone. Because as it stand in pre-patch you often have to let people die instead of apply atonement so that the tank can live. Coupled with the fact that mastery is pointless and thats what I stacked makes it even worse.
    I cannot comment on PVE which is what it sounds like to me. In PVP depending on how many healers there are you always having to let people die. If you are the only healer which happens quite a lot if you do a lot of BGs there is nothing you can do about it. As mentioned above I think Disc has some issues with throughput but survivability is a bigger issue with other healers. How much healing you can get off while someone is training you is a more real world scenario and I felt that Disc could do this the best with the 3 specs I've tried.

I'm having an absolute blast right now in PvP. I can easely 1 v 2 any class combos. Unless both of them are very good players. My top healing is always comparable to the others. The only difference is is that I did insanely more damage. Like 30 to 50% of my healing depending on much I get pummeld. Discs are without a doubt really strong this patch.

I'm not joking: http://www.imagehost.eu/CXFc/ Boring 8 healer game. Sure healing wise I'm just like anyone else. But compare the damage, I'm actually also close to being top damage that game. The horde priest also did the same amount of damage. Or this one http://www.imagehost.eu/BXFc/ Where we actually got pummeled pretty hard, and I got focused the majority of that game. Yet stil keeping up well, and just look at that damage done. It's insane
    Last edited by Mazeari; 2016-07-25 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh maybe I need to take another look at talent builds.
    Any guides out yet for prepatch disc pvp? Im torn about first and last tier choices. Grace vs PtW and castigation vs schism.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Disc is very underpowered in both PvE and PvP at the moment.
    I don't think I've ever lol'd so hard in my life.

Grace 100% that isn't even a choice in any possible way. I personally think schism is way better, works excellent for baiting interupts aswell as the extra damage it gives you. In a shism + penance + power: solace you can easely do 130-200k damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    Grace 100% that isn't even a choice in any possible way. I personally think schism is way better, works excellent for baiting interupts aswell as the extra damage it gives you. In a shism + penance + power: solace you can easely do 130-200k damage.
    I agree with this. Grace is going to be your better choice. This gives you 30% bigger bubbles and 30% better shadowmends. Too good to pass up while your choice is an improved shadow word pain. Don't get me wrong PtW is good just for PvP Grace is much better.

As for the first tier it is up to you. Schism is good if you want to have more damage options. Castigation if you want to have a more damaging penance. Penitent if you want to be able to heal using your Penance. All are good for different reasons.

Schism is good if you want to focus on damage more. Castigation is good if you want more damage but don't want to complicate things further. Penitent adds another somewhat powerful single target heal for holy school.

Here is my setup for PvP:
    Pentitent
    Angelic Feather or Masochism - Angelic feather most of the time.
    Mostly Shining Force
    Power Word Solace or Mind Bender
    Mostly Twist of Fate but Power Infusion is good too
    This tier is difficult because none of them are all that appealing. Clarity of Will has a long cast time and can be dispelled. Divine Star barely does anything and is on a semi short cooldown. Halo actually does something but is on a semi long cooldown. Really choose whatever fits for you.
    Grace

Hope this helps you out. Help blaze the trail for Disc.

On a related note: I have been out the game since pretty much MoP. I did play WoD but shortly quit after a month or 2. I always loved how Disc played back in Cata and this interation of Disc is back to how Cata played only moreso which needless to say has got me back to playing again.

The second last tier is either Divine star or Halo. divine star is for self survival. when under pressure. And Halo feels amazing and hits big, the cd to me does not feel long at all. Remember both spells proc atonement (for the first target hit). I've seen halo crit for over 100k with schism. I've had moments where people with atonement on just jumped 40% in health. Though most of the time the first target hit the spell only hits for 30k without schism. It still heals for alot though.

For arena's I'm not entirely sure. But think I will remain with Halo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazeari View Post
    The second last tier is either Divine star or Halo. divine star is for self survival. when under pressure.
    Divine Star? It's completely useless, you have Plea. It's better than Divine Star. So Halo is the no-brainer here.

On topic: I've enjoyed Disc pvp a lot. It's fun and very very strong - all you need is a bit more mobility/cc and you'll get those with the pvp talents later on.

Now holy instead....it's just utter bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I feel pretty powerful as disc in BGs honestly. I can survive for a long time vs 2 dps which cannot be said about holy. Holy seems significantly better for healing other people though in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    I feel pretty powerful as disc in BGs honestly. I can survive for a long time vs 2 dps which cannot be said about holy. Holy seems significantly better for healing other people though in my opinion.
    Well I really love Shadow Mend. A single melee can't do anything against you, because you have both holy and shadow school heals... just let them kick Penance and then spam Shadow Mend for 5 seconds.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.