Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    My 6yo computer can. I can't have ultra settings, but 60 fps is quite possible, and that's all I ask! I don't notice a difference above that anyway...
    well thats likely because you're using a 60hz monitor, so no you wouldn't notice a difference

get yourself a 144hz monitor and a video card that can get the fps up there and you WILL notice that difference

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    so your saying a game that every 2 ish years gets new stuff, and is upgraded each time... with better graphics and effects... needs a stronger pc?
    No, he's saying this patch tanked his FPS from a constant 60 down to a constant 20. I also happen to have an old rig, and have had no issues. Obviously there's an issue somewhere, potentially on Blizz's end

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    BTW did anyone elses WoW folder grow about 20 gigs? My SSD is having a bit of a cry.
    Ya mines up to 52.4gb leaving me with ~4gb on my c: gonna end up having to move it to sata drive soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    well thats likely because you're using a 60hz monitor, so no you wouldn't notice a difference

get yourself a 144hz monitor and a video card that can get the fps up there and you WILL notice that difference
    Have seen gameplay on one of those plenty of times, and no. Smooth is smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    You can disable so much graphics details in the settings that even really old computers can run wow with playable framerates.

My current CPU/GPU are 5 years old and I get locked 60fps with settings at 7/10 (okay in raids it goes to the 30s sometimes).
    And even on my 4,5 year old laptop with a 540M gpu I can squeeze out more than 100fps if I set it to 1/10.

So, while wow can be demanding at ultra, it's also always playable on older hardware.

I am currently running a 4.5 year old rig using a geforce 580 and currently it is running pretty stable at 60 fps other than a couple odd places like one bank in dalaran. I use the mid grade setting 5 for graphics and that seems okay. There are a lot of extra knobs to tweak though to improve peformance.

It is worth mentioning that if you are having problems you might want to move away from elvui it can really jam up systems.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Moving liquid detail from Ultra to Fair is a 25-30 fps gain. (Even in a room with no liquid present.)

Set shadows to low and you'll gain another 10-15 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It is worth mentioning that if you are having problems you might want to move away from elvui it can really jam up systems.
    I have never seen a complaint on ElvUi's forums about people having frame rate issues due to ElvUI.

Dropping the draw distance down should also help, as the new maximum is considerably higher than the old maximum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    WoW is an odd one. My rig (i7 4790k, GTX 980, 16GB) seems to struggle to keep a nice 60fps at max settings, and since pre-patch it hits even 28fps in effect-heavy areas.
    So I guess I need a goddamn Titan X?
    Here is a few things they tide to the same settings for god knows what reason in the prepatch: draw distance renders full effect volcano/fire smoke for everything that has been LoD'd, including shadow calculations. This means that, in Kalimdor looking towards Hyjal or Darkshore makes a heft FPS drop, and Eastern Kingdoms if you look towards Blackrock Mountain/Badlands.

On Draenor, with settings 7 standing at southern Gorgrond, you now load about 50 high-particle Evironmental (mainly volcano) smoke and steam, lighting, shadows, and light collision sourced. With it at 10, you load everything except Highmaul from Warspear... It is insanity why they tied particles to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Source? Kinda silly claiming ElvUI is the culprit.

Deleted
    There might be some FPS issues with Legion, there are plenty of reported threads in the Tech Support forums.
    Having said that - WoW gets gfx improvements every expac.

Expecting a 6 year old rig (that's *really* old) to run it without a hitch is quite...uh.. optimistic.
    Time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoj View Post
    It's an old system, I know, but it ran the game just fine up until the Legion pre-patch. This computer was massively over the top for WoW for years, running the game on all-max settings with ease. WoD was the first sign of struggle and I had to tone the settings down a little in order to maintain rock-steady 60 FPS. Now, however, I have to go all-minimum settings just to get it playable, and even then it'll still dip down into the 20s quite a lot. It's not an addon, I only run ElvUI and WeakAuras and I've tried disabling these with little result. Is there any chance that they'll roll out a performance patch before the expansion hits? Even with the modern WoW graphics, the game doesn't look anywhere near fancy enough to warrant this kind of performance.
    Don't fret man, I am running an i7 6700k at 4.2ghz on a 980 TI, SSD, 16gbs of ram, and in some cases I dip down into the 20's, and 30's in some areas with the settings turned up. Something is odd about the Legion patch and performance. No way in hell should WoW be overpowering my 980 TI that I get those kind of FPS dips. I still think there's performance updates to be had for Legion. All we can do is wait and see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
    Source? Kinda silly claiming ElvUI is the culprit.
    Im not saying it is the main problem here. It was even stated it was turned off, so it couldn't be. It is a resource hog though in part because it does so many things.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

make sure you also check your addons that no longer work or function, that can cause a massive fps drop. I logged on without changing anything and i dropped to below 30 fps, where i maintain 80 -110 fps most of the time.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    On patch day I ran everything fine, even in a 20 man H HFC. As soon as I go into LFR HFC on my DK to test, bam, slideshow the likes of which I've never seen before. It's not even addons, even if they are eating up a lot more than they used to. Poor optimization on Blizz's end is my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

View distance 10 seems to be a killer, at least on my machine. Lots of extra stuff to render off in the distance I guess. Dropped it a couple notches and it runs like a champ now (100+FPS), even with everything else at max.

The game called World of Warcraft may be 11 years old, but their expansions are new and WoD is only pushing 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    WoW is an odd one. My rig (i7 4790k, GTX 980, 16GB) seems to struggle to keep a nice 60fps at max settings, and since pre-patch it hits even 28fps in effect-heavy areas.
    We have pretty much the same machine, 'cept I run steady at 75 -100.

Tone down the ridiculous amount of AA and postprocessing and you won't have a blurred mess that AA's the AA after AAing the AA's AA. The picture quality barely need to change at all and still free up another 20 fps if you find a good balance in the settings. Not just turn everything up to the "highest", especially not Ultra High shadows.. shadows somehow always manage to tank the CPU to absurdum. And stay away from Render Scale slider, that thing makes any GPU cry.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-07-25 at 07:18 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Check your video settings. Check them tomorrow as well. Shadows continues to reset to Ultra which is a 80 FPS difference for me.

My machine is almost 3 years old. 4th generation I5 and 16 GB of ram. My video card is a Nvidia 960. With my 144khz monitor I fluctuate between 70-120 fps with shadows set to low. With them on Ultra I sit between 40-70fps.

I use the optimized profile from Nvidia for the game and then turn shadows low, lighting down 1 step, liquid down 1 step and SSAO down one step. I believe that's it.
    Last edited by Tharkkun; 2016-07-25 at 07:30 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222