Mike and Dave need wedding dates
    8/10

some scenes were kinda stupid. but overall it was a pretty funny movie. its crude as well but makes up for it.

Hotel Transylvania 2.

7/10

It made me feel good at the end. I smiled, and chuckled a few times.

Star Trek Beyond - 8/10 (Very Good)

My fellow Trekkies, our prayers have been answered! This is the truest Star Trek movie we've had since in over fifteen years. Star Trek Beyond is a throwback to the adventurous Trek films of the original series and actually feels like a Trek two-parter, as opposed to the stereotypical grim thriller movies of 2009 reboot and into darkness (despite the fact 'Beyond is quite possibly the most actiony of the three). This is my most favorite of the three. It also has by far the best pacing; unlike the first two reboot films, at no point during the entire film did I not understand what was going or, or was bored enough to start thinking about other things besides watching. This is a light hearted adventure romp through and through.

The only things that could have made the movie better was more exploration and setup of Yorktown (COOLEST SPACE CITY EVAR!!!) so we cared more about it during the climax and a more detailed explanation of Krall's face-heel turn, but that's not a major problem as one never comes for these olden style Star Trek movies for the villain (except maybe Wrath of Khan, which was the odd one out of the original six).

I sincerely hope more are produced in this style with these actors.

- - - Updated - - -

The Imitation Game 7/10 (Good)

This is the kind of film where I got more out of the acting than the actual content of the film. I came hoping to learn about how secret codes work, how the computer calculated possible solutions, spycraft, and intelligence strategies, but ultimately none of that ever actually happened in the film. Instead, it's mostly about Alan Turing's life during 1940 and his predicament in the '50s. While an enjoyable film, I felt like it wasn't what I was led to believe it would be.

Cumberbatch was, ofcourse, the best part of this film. His wide range of subtle facial expressions and convincing acting really added much needed weight to his character. You really felt for him. Charles Dance was underused, but given the nature of the story his character wasn't important to begin with. The underused part mainly stems from the fact that he's such a great actor, that it was shame that he only got a brief appearance in the film. Then again, at his age, I bet he doesn't want to rehearsing every day for months on end and filming for dozens of weeks anymore. Everyone else performed their role the best they could with what they had to work with.

Star Trek Beyond 4/10

It was on ok film. But that's about it, and it's really what I've come to expect from the reboot franchise. Karl Urban still seems like his actual character, Spock wasn't too bad in this one actually (I did find it amusing anotehr heroes cast member shows up in a minor role in this film), and for the guy playing kirk he kind of sounded a bit like Shatner a few times, but ultimately still feels like a bland leading man, not really much like Kirk.

Sulu being gay seems odd...mainly because it was added for this film (Literally, the character didn't posses this back story in the 1st 2). It's not like Sulu is that important to the plot of the film that he needed a fleshed out background (And besides spock/uhura, I noticed the film doesn't make any mention of the personal relationships/lives of any other cast member)
    Plus, for someone whose career choice is that he'll spend most of his life in deep space...it seems kind of irresponsible and stupid to be adopting a kid.
    It just feels like an un-needed detail for a film franchise, where I'd expect the film to be focused on its story. If you want room to develop the characters, do a TV show, american ones are so long you can afford to give each main character a full episode to develop their backstory. /rantover

The spock/Uhura thing still feels stupid. The section that involves a beastie boys song, which is playing not only for us the audience but for the characters in the film, was beyond stupid [I](HAHA the song is sabotage and that's what its doing to the baddies, HAHA *facepalm*)[/I]

The twist involving the baddie...just seems like one of those things where its just too convenient (and the plot shielding around Uhura in her interactions with the villain is so thick and obvious it's ridiculous. I get that the main crew of course need to be front and center, but at least come up with believable ways to have the villain give exposition, or at least have a valid reason for him to interact with the crew, but not kill them. I half expected something like Uhura"Why don't you kill me" (villain)"Because Justin Lin said not too")

maybe trekkies (trekkers...i dunno, whatever) would be more forgiving, but for me, the film was average and there was too much stupid stuff for me to recommend it. Maybe wait for it to be on streaming websites or catch it on TV.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2016-07-23 at 02:52 PM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    The BFG 7/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Spectre (yes I know I'm late) 3/10

Dull as fuck film, compounding by Daniel Craig clearly not wanting to be there and delivering the most bland, bored performance ever. Blofelt was criminally underused, which is par for the course really. Hire awesome actor to play bad guy, give them one good speech, arrest them, BOND! FUCK YEAH!

So glad Craig is done with Bond, I hope the next actor they hire breaths some life back into the franchise. I doubt he can though, the problems go FAR deeper than just the lead.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Delicatessen (1991) - 7/10. Black crime comedy that started off far more darkly and interestingly than it finished. Turned into some surreal class war allegory with an abstract comedy ending. However, it does have a "happy" ending, unlike many French movies, and remains watchable throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Spectre (yes I know I'm late) 3/10

So glad Craig is done with Bond, I hope the next actor they hire breaths some life back into the franchise. I doubt he can though, the problems go FAR deeper than just the lead.
    That movie makes feel nauseous even today.

The very opening scene went from an amazing, stealthy, perfectly timed classic Bond scene on rooftops to some atrocious transition into an utterly unrealistic, super-glorified, long and pointless CGI helicopter scene that would not look out of place in a Transformers or Fast & Furious movies.

It was about as far from Bond as it is possible to be. At that point, I knew not only would it be all but unwatchable for me, but that the current Bond is dead and gone. I have no idea how they can even resurrect it if any of the current crew are involved at all.

I gave it the same rating as you.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-23 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    I have no idea how they can even resurrect it if any of the current crew are involved at all.
    Tbh I think they need to reboot it and pretend this whole "Gritty and Raw" bond never existed.

Get a suitably suave actor, give him a Tux, a fuckton of gadgets and stick in some top notch stealth. Leave OTT action and explosions to the Bourne Franchise (who do it far better), bond should be suave sophisticated and stealthy.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Delicatessen (1991) - 7/10. Black crime comedy that started off far more darkly and interestingly than it finished. Turned into some surreal class war allegory with an abstract comedy ending. However, it does have a "happy" ending, unlike many French movies, and remains watchable throughout.
    Jean-Pierre Jeunet made great movies and then made Alien 4....

Star Trek Beyond - 7/10

Fairly enjoyable. Nice, slick direction and well written dialogue for the most part.

Visual effect were fantastic too- not in that they look neat (which they do) but they are clever & effective. Like the scene with weightlessness, ships pitching at odd angles and the use of weaponry. It's not too common movies take the risk of using their effects smartly instead of just trying to wow the audience.

I think the movie rushes through a few characters too much- old and new. So you don't get much from the characters in this film without investment in previous installments of the franchise.

I thought it was a well made, fun movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wave - 8/10

I have a soft spot for disaster movies and this was a darn good disaster movie. Great acting and building tension before the titular wave was unleashed. Also, I find the Norwegian language to be fun and pleasing to the ear.

Looking: the Movie - 8/10

So incredibly bummed that this is the end for this series but this was a satisfying ending. Good chemistry, dialogue, and Jonathan Groff was as charming as ever (he can overdo it at times). Kudos to Andrew Haigh's writing and direction. He's a special talent. Made me long to visit San Francisco again.

Deleted
    The Bronze - 6.5 / 10

Best and funniest sex scene ever made. The rest of the movie is...meh. Damm gurl the main character is hot even though she doesn't show much skin the entire movie.
    I feel bad but the only scene i remember from the entire movie was the sex scene lol

I adore this flick. If you like this, watch City of Lost Children, by the same director. Also quite good.

Hmm, lets see:

Hail Caesar! - 3/10. Cohen bros films tend to be pretty polarizing for me.. I either absolutely love them or think I just wasted a few hours. I didn't love this. Meandering, pointless waste of time that seems to try and get by on little more than starpower, which there is a lot of here. Ralph Fiennes conversation with Alden Ehrenreich is about the only memorable (and funny) part of this movie.

The Martian - 7/10. I'm sure folks way more scientifically astute than I can easily tear this movie to ribbons, but I found it extremely entertaining. The terribly obvious body double shots near the end were kind of cringe-worthy, and a bit more character development would have been nice, but it's a worthwhile flick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardcore Henry (2015): 8/10

My inner 15 year old was shouting BOOYA at the screen the entire movie.

star trek beyond
    6/10
    really fun movie, had some good humor, references to the older trek stuff, and enjoyable movie
    some actors seemed bored while acting in the movie, and didn't seem to be enjoying their roles, so that was the setback
    the actor who plays kirk seems really bleh to me in this movie, and as much as i try to like him, he is outshined by other characters by far

Batman: The Killing Joke 6/10

Decent. It's not really an adaptation of The Killing Joke honestly. Pacing is a little draggy and the overall message of the original material is not even present.

I did not object to the Babs/Bats relationship. It makes sense in the context and goal of the film, but I think it heavily shifts the focus and intent of the material to Batgirl. Not Joker and Batman- which was the entire point of The Killing Joke.

The acting is fantastic and way above the material, to be frank. Maybe Hamil's greatest Joker performance; really subtle and nuanced work. Conroy is terrific too but he is playing an intentionally aloof and cold Batman. I think the pairing works wonderfully and is the only aspect the film captured that reflects the contrast of minds that are The Joker and Batman.

The animation was a little too simple despite taking some iconic shots from Boland's magnificent work. Animation lacked detail.

It is an enjoyable watch though; didn't feel boring, engaging story and plot.

Deleted
    Ghostbusters 2/10

Disaster of movie, liked the cameos though

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The Martian - 7/10. I'm sure folks way more scientifically astute than I can easily tear this movie to ribbons, but I found it extremely entertaining. The terribly obvious body double shots near the end were kind of cringe-worthy, and a bit more character development would have been nice, but it's a worthwhile flick.
    The science of the book/movie are actually fairly accurate, except for the inciting incident storm, but that was more of a plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    The science of the book/movie are actually fairly accurate, except for the inciting incident storm, but that was more of a plot device.
    Interesting. I'd have thought the whole "cover the nose with a giant tarp" thing would have been an argument point.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Interesting. I'd have thought the whole "cover the nose with a giant tarp" thing would have been an argument point.
    Neil DeGrasse Tyson lends a hand in this one.

On topic- Keanu. 7/10. Key and Peele movie. Pretty good.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.