Thread: Rip yahoo 2016

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yahoo is the only search engine I use. I actually really dislike google. And I don't know of any others tbh. I didn't use it for anything else though.

honestly I never even liked the brand image in general, including the name.

I know Google is just as silly a name as Yahoo, but something about Yahoo isn't nearly as fun or concrete of a word (also makes me think of chocolate milk :P). Thier logo and attempts at rebranding have always fallen so flat too. Somehow, amongst all the modernizing corporate rebrands, Yahoo managed to keep theirs in the 90's with logo that still looks like it belongs on a Nickelodeon show.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    So much for yahoo chat on Trillian. I have a feeling it's gonna get shitcanned/unsupported.

EDIT:August 5th it dies.
    It was Yahoo's plan to kill it but now Verizon owns them so they could change plans and keep supporting it, but probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Varanus View Post
    Yahoo is the only search engine I use. I actually really dislike google. And I don't know of any others tbh. I didn't use it for anything else though.
    I liked yahoo before it went to bing then I went to google. Sometimes I have to use bing when I can't find want I want through google.

Sweet maybe they'll bring back Geocities.

The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    honestly I never even liked the brand image in general, including the name.

I know Google is just as silly a name as Yahoo, but something about Yahoo isn't nearly as fun or concrete of a word (also makes me think of chocolate milk :P). Thier logo and attempts at rebranding have always fallen so flat too. Somehow, amongst all the modernizing corporate rebrands, Yahoo managed to keep theirs in the 90's with logo that still looks like it belongs on a Nickelodeon show.
    The word "yahoo" is a backronym for "Yet Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle, and why they named it as such.

Yahoo Finance was the only site I used from that company. It's rather decent for some market watching.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

yahoo news is just a big pile of advertising shit, 90% of their stories are simply sponsored.. i'm surprised they are valued over 1b.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Must be nice being worth close to $5bn as a corpse... /s
    Yahoo has been circling the drain for awhile. I am curious what Verizon plans to do with them that it was willing to pay so much for them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

To bad Yahoo didn't take Microsoft's deal in 2008.

REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 1, 2008 — Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) today announced that it has made a proposal to the Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ:YHOO) Board of Directors to acquire all the outstanding shares of Yahoo! common stock for per share consideration of $31 representing a total equity value of approximately $44.6 billion. Microsoft’s proposal would allow the Yahoo! shareholders to elect to receive cash or a fixed number of shares of Microsoft common stock, with the total consideration payable to Yahoo! shareholders consisting of one-half cash and one-half Microsoft common stock. The offer represents a 62 percent premium above the closing price of Yahoo! common stock on Jan. 31, 2008.

Yahoo felt it was massively undervaluing the company at the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I make an effort to never use Yahoo since they blocked users from accessing their Yahoo mail if they had Adblock enabled.
    I've had adblock enabled in my browser, Firefox, as far back as I can remember. I use yahoomail daily; no issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Oh, originally it was quite good. I mean, I have an email on yahoo because once it was great, and plus it also came with the Yahoo Messenger that people in my country used a lot. Then it started degrading.
    We started getting ads and useless shit like news in your junk folder when you delete all the mails. I mean wtf? It started going slower, loading mails slower.
    Now even logging into your mail, you're first taken to the news page.

Overall as a mail service, it was good. But they started trying to get as much money as they could out of it, making it slow and filled with useless shit and ads.

In the last few years they've been lead by a CEO that kept making bad investment after another, and by how they try more and more to shove more ads everywhere, you can tell.
    Got it, 100% understandable there. I guess I just used yahoo as a tool, just like myspace/facebook/etc - I appreciate the info, and I agree with you big time.

I think it's still workable, but yeah it wasn't what it originally was before Google search, etc. I know they also combined searches with BING awhile back, so you get basically the same search whether you choose bing or yahoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have Yahoo mail, but my husband does and he gets blocked on his iPad if he has an Adblock enabled - not sure about desktop.
    Sounds like an Ipad issue. All I've ever used is Yahoo mail, and I've had adblock installed for years and never once ran into this.
    Edit: Tried to go through and change the important stuff tied to my old yahoo to my gmail, half the crap (including my wow email, ugh) won't change for whatever reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I remember seeing those articles last year. I've never run into the issue and actually thought the issues had been resolved. On my Yahoomail login screen there are absolutely zero adverts and I never made any special modifications to adblock. Windows 7 user with Firefox.

I don't have Yahoo mail, but my husband does and he gets blocked on his iPad if he has an Adblock enabled - not sure about desktop.
    theirs a yahoo mail app, try that instead of using safari
    Last edited by strongyp; 2016-07-25 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    The word "yahoo" is a backronym for "Yet Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle, and why they named it as such.
    no it isnt its what mario says when he jumps :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Oh boy. Some of my older email accounts are Yahoo accounts. They'll continue to be okay to use, right?

I can't believe anyone would buy yahoo for that much. What can you possibly do with it when Google is not only dominating the market and is innovating so much.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    yahoo need to make phones and there likely will be since its been overtaken by a large phone company verizon, they need to start investing in other tech like google with cars and glasses etc, hell even faceboo kare testing out drones and stuf

Marissa Mayer is gonna make out like a bandit.