View Poll Results: Have you ever had your job outsourced?

Voters
28. This poll is closed
  • Yes

8 28.57%
  • No

20 71.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Yeah I can see how that makes sense. Haha I guess I'm pretty screwed! xD
    I wouldn't sweat it. I've been part of interview/hiring teams for 20+ years and how often someone bounces around jobs has never been a deciding factor for whether or not I interview a candidate; anecdotal of course, but I've never (or rarely enough that I don't remember) anyone providing feedback on job jumping as a disqualifier. Maybe this is a difference between tech positions and customer server/retail jobs.

are you still a student? what does present in college education even mean?

Try https://www.expresspros.com/

I've used them to hire temp labor in the past but they also do permanent positions. They're franchised based so the people there are going to want to find you work because its how they make money. What this means is if you prove yourself to be a good candidate they'll keep you at the top of their list but should you be slacker with low value you may get little to none of their attention.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I think the real question is, why should he put the philosophy major to use?
    I can talk about philosophy for hours unfortunately its more of a nonprofit profession these days. I guess I could invest in a philosophic discussion youtube channel and try to build a fanbase around discussing topics while playing CS:GO surf. RIP.

7+ Year Old Account

Looks like a blast but hey they are cheaper which is why they have my job I suppose.
    He is right on the money. If you don't mind learning Spanish come here to Latin America. I hear Peru and bolivia are starting to urbanize more, foreigners from first world countries are treated like kings here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    On a resume, it makes you look like you are always looking for a better gig somewhere else. Some companies won't want to risk putting the time and effort into training you when you are already looking for a job somewhere else.
    Agree 100%. I was responsible for hiring/firing at my last job. Length of employment at previous jobs was always a good way to get an idea of how reliable the applicant would potentially be. Granted there are exceptions to this, but more often than not a turnover rate of 1-2 years isn't too appealing to potential employers if you're looking for a "career".

Obviously the easy answer here is take any entry level position you can find, perhaps one of those "bridges" you didn't burn leaving your previous employers.

In my honest opinion, you should probably stretch the dates on your employment a bit and perhaps drop one or two of them. Don't leave any glaring gaps in the time line, but don't make it look like its littered with a new employer every year or so. 9 times out of 10 places don't even call previous employers for references these days and depending on the state (I know you're in Cali, I just don't know the laws there), the previous employers they may call can't even legally tell them certain things. Do as much as you possibly can in person and be prepared to sell yourself. A good interview and first impression goes miles further than most resume's, especially ones with a weak employment history (short periods of time in your case).

10+ Year Old Account

Looks like a blast but hey they are cheaper which is why they have my job I suppose.
    Looks pretty beautiful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    are you still a student? what does present in college education even mean?
    I have an associates degree in philosophy, I took a break a few years ago when I started working two FT jobs and now I go part time to finish my degree in business.

Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    Agree 100%. I was responsible for hiring/firing at my last job. Length of employment at previous jobs was always a good way to get an idea of how reliable the applicant would potentially be.
    1 year? sure. 2 years? people won't miss that better offer after spending 2 years in a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I think the real question is, why should he put the philosophy major to use?
    whats the point of spending money on a philosophy degree?

Anyway, what exactly are you looking to get, there are lots of entry level jobs out there.

I have an associates degree in philosophy, I took a break a few years ago when I started working two FT jobs and now I go part time to finish my degree in business.
    good luck

/10chars

Also, try indeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Also, try indeed.com
    Thanks. I will.

OT is not a good place to find work...

See, I was always told the opposite, I was taught that it shows initiative. I tried to build different experience to be multifaceted and not just limited to one type of work and I always moved up in all the jobs I worked. I always leave on good terms. I never burned bridges.
    You're not really working professional-type jobs so I don't think it matters to be honest. If you find a field you like stick with it.

Also you really need to have at least enough money to cover six months worth of expenses in the bank so you're not desperate when looking for work, something to keep in mind for next time.

"Management" sounds vague for two of your last couple of positions, you need to really hone in on management skills and not talk about store clerk/entry level stuff on your resume. Talk about quarters where you exceeded sales expectations, by what %, if you won any awards or sales contests, district ranking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    OT is not a good place to find work...

You're not really working professional-type jobs so I don't think it matters to be honest. If you find a field you like stick with it.

Also you really need to have at least enough money to cover six months worth of expenses in the bank so you're not desperate when looking for work, something to keep in mind for next time.

"Management" sounds vague for two of your last couple of positions, you need to really hone in on management skills and not talk about store clerk/entry level stuff on your resume. Talk about quarters where you exceeded sales expectations, by what %, if you won any awards or sales contests, district ranking, etc.
    I agree with Celista.

Also, lose the GPA. No one cares

Use also may want to use the STAR method

Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

in explaining situations where you've solved complex problems.

7+ Year Old Account
    Move to another country op. With your skills are better prepared in another place. Learn a language and move on.

Didn't fully read thread, just original post.

I'm looking at it as an employer. I have no idea what you're trying to do. I don't want to read a list of blah blah blah. Can you give us a better idea of what field you'd like to be in? For example, eBay and pizza hut are unrelated. Why both on the same resume? You don't have to list every job you've ever had. Push stuff into the skills section, and trim that fucker down.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Try McDonald's or Walmart, they are always hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Move to another country op. With your skills are better prepared in another place. Learn a language and move on.
    Jesus, its not that bad.

I mean honestly, if he lived where my company has a hub, I'd link him our career site. He has plenty of working history and with his degree (philosophy lol) he has shown that he's at least trainable.

Sorry you live in CA OP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Also, try indeed.com
    So he can compete against the other 800 people submitting their resumes online?