Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry New Dove Research Finds Beauty Pressures Up, and Women and Girls Calling for Change

Despite rising levels of beauty and appearance anxiety, more women and girls are fighting back against unrealistic beauty pressures, says a new global report released today by Dove.

The Dove Global Beauty and Confidence Report, which interviewed 10,500 females across 13 countries, found that women's confidence in their bodies is on a steady decline, with low body esteem becoming a unifying challenge shared by women and girls around the world - regardless of age or geography.

Despite this, there is still a strong desire among females to challenge existing beauty norms, with 71% of women and 67% of girls calling for the media to do a better job portraying women of diverse physical appearance, age, race, shape and size.

The report is the third and most comprehensive study Dove has undertaken on the topic, building on two previous studies published in 2004 and 2010. It reveals the impact low body esteem has on a woman's ability to realise her potential, with nearly all women (85%) and girls (79%) saying they opt out of important life activities - such as trying out for a team or club, and engaging with family or loved ones - when they don't feel good about the way they look.

Additionally, 7 in 10 girls with low body-esteem say they won't be assertive in their opinion or stick to their decision if they aren't happy with the way they look, while 9 out of 10 (87%) women will stop themselves from eating or will otherwise put their health at risk.

"This latest research shows that low body confidence is a global issue," says Dr. Nancy Etcoff, Assistant Clinical Professor Harvard Medical School, Director of Program in Aesthetics and Wellbeing, MGH Department of Psychiatry. "Though troubling, these results are also unsurprising, given the increasing pressures women and girls face today. We need to help empower women and girls in many ways, including increasing body-confidence education, driving meaningful conversations around the pressures women and girls face, and advocating for change in how females and their appearance are talked about and portrayed in the media."

Women (69%) and girls (65%) cite increasing pressures from advertising and media to reach an unrealistic standard of beauty as a key force in driving appearance anxiety, while 56% of all women recognise the impact of an 'always on' social media culture in driving the pressure for perfection.
    Perhaps most worryingly, nearly 8 in 10 (78%) of both women and girls feel some pressure to never make mistakes or show weakness.

The report found that beauty and appearance anxiety is a global issue, but one that women are experiencing differently by culture and country - it allowed for a closer look at the nuanced and changing definitions of beauty defining and uniting women all over the world.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...583743391.html

Great new study here. It's up to all of us to fight back against these awful standards. There really is no need to rely on makeup and other similar products. Just be yourself. It's insane how much is being spent on these cosmetic products.

Yeah because there's no pressure at all on men to be tall or have nice hair or nice teeth or visible abs or broad shoulders or broad back or a big willy

Oh wait, there is. Nvm then.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Yeah because there's no pressure at all on men to be tall or have nice hair or nice teeth or visible abs or broad shoulders or broad back or a big willy

It's nowhere the same as what's being discussed in the OP's article. Let's be real.

All they have to do is grow up and make the change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...583743391.html

Great new study here. It's up to all of us to fight back against these awful standards. There really is no need to rely on makeup and other similar products. Just be yourself. It's insane how much is being spent on these cosmetic products.
    Wear make up look pretty get guys, don't wear make up look dumpy be miserable.

It's nowhere the same as what's being discussed in the OP's article. Let's be real.
    Yes it is. Male BDD is rising at terrifying rates. But the only "body acceptance" is for women.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is. Male BDD is rising at terrifying rates. But the only "body acceptance" is for women.
    Do you have a study to prove this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Why is this pressure bad? It is good to have pressure for self betterment. Do you not want to look better? Do you want ugly men and women all over the world? I think we should try harder to look better, not worse.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Do you have a study to prove this?
    I could find them. It's not easy though because people like you exist (man haters).

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Why is this pressure bad? It is good to have pressure for self betterment. Do you not want to look better? Do you want ugly men and women all over the world? I think we should try harder to look better, not worse.
    You're using common sense and that isn't allowed here anymore.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account

Guys only really need a big dick. You could be 110 lbs soaking wet or look like ron jeremy and still get mad pussy with a big dick. I'd wager to say 1 in 2, to 2 outta 3 chicks will hook up with you based on a big dick pic alone.

I could find them. It's not easy though because people like you exist (man haters).
    It's hard to find a study because people like him exist? That makes no sense and is an extremely stupid thing to say.

Global warming deniers don't make it harder to find proof of global warming.

This the part where someone links the "This is He-Man" meme, right?

Maybe dipshits should stop telling women/girls that they need to see other people who look like them in order to have confidence in their own appearance.

No one is forcing women to do anything. It's a basic principle of pretty much more living species to make yourself more presentable than the competition to attract a mate.

In other words, women don't have to do it but they can't complain about not having a boyfriend if they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    All they have to do is grow up and make the change themselves.
    Yeah seriously this is just about internal feelings. I remember feeling the same way when I was the object of the relationship. It has benefits and drawbacks, but ultimately individuals have the power to determine how they react to the vast majority of external stimuli.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's hard to find a study because people like him exist? That makes no sense and is an extremely stupid thing to say.

Global warming deniers don't make it harder to find proof of global warming.
    Nah I mean there are not many studies because man haters deny that men can be mentally ill or have body issues. But google is hard right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    No one is forcing women to do anything. It's a basic principle of pretty much more living species to make yourself more presentable than the competition to attract a mate.

In other words, women don't have to do it but they can't complain about not having a boyfriend if they do.
    And males (or initiators in general, the majority of which are males) work much harder to attract mates. But this is just glazed over because guys don't give a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Women pressure women, men have no real part in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or be able to get a job so you can live.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account

Oh no doubt. You can get fit and eat healthy. No need to spend so much on makeup and plastic surgeries.