Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anti-Chinese Sentiment on the rise across Africa

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/why-an...nt-africa-rise
    In October 2010 miners gathered outside the Chinese-owned Collum Coal Mine in southern Zambia. They were there to protest poor working conditions and demanded higher wages. Facing them were armed Chinese supervisors, who ended up opening fire on the crowd. In 2012 another protest ensued around the same mine; this time the miners killed one of Chinese staff.

China has been steadily increasing its business presence in Africa over the past decade, as China’s diverse capital and labor resources continuously traverse the conflict zones of Sudan and South Sudan, contend with the xenophobic excesses in the southern African region, and encounter local fury in eastern, western, and northern Africa.

Although Chinese economic interests are primarily located in democratically governed and politically stable parts of Africa, made-in-China goods and services continue to reach every part of the culturally diverse continent.

However, with this well-documented and widely touted continental embrace comes the creeping phenomenon of anti-Chinese fervor and populism in different communities across Africa where financial capital and labor from China competes with African development efforts.

Though such sentiments often occur when capital and labor cross foreign shores, especially to economically distressed regions, this emergent anti-China populism in Africa holds important implications for China as a rising global power, and Africa, an economically promising region seeking foreign direct capital and expertise.

Much has been reported on the residential wedge between Chinese migrant labor and their host communities as a contributory element to deterioration in relations between the migrants and their African hosts. It’s a common sight to spot Chinese labor in sponsored projects across Africa housed in makeshift containers located on or close to the project sites, often far removed from the dwellings of the local Africans or communities.

As much as this may have the merits of proximity to project site and reduced transportation costs, it often limits the contact between Chinese laborers and the locals, and further produces avenues of discord that help foment workplace disagreements between Chinese and African workers.
    A lot of the Chinese workers can be pretty closed off to their African colleagues. That sort of creates a cultural clash and a lot of negative social stigma. Chinese businesses in resource-rich, but poor countries in Africa like the DRC can also carry over their expectations of work ethic common in poorer parts of China where workers are overworked and underpaid, this sparks some tension between the Congolese and Chinese.

I would argue though, that despite these conflicts, China is really doing Africa a favor. Building infrastructure and selling Chinese products to Africans is ultimately beneficial to both sides. People that would otherwise be unemployed, are at least getting paid and developing a work ethic can can carry over into future careers.

I think Asia is really showing interest in Africa. You have investment into infrastructure, manufacturing and agriculture from China, but also from Japan, Korea, India and even Sri Lanka to lesser extents. A lot of lower middle class and poor Chinese migrate over to African countries to set up businesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    In October 2010 miners gathered outside the Chinese-owned Collum Coal Mine in southern Zambia. They were there to protest poor working conditions and demanded higher wages. Facing them were armed Chinese supervisors, who ended up opening fire on the crowd.
    Their labour dispute resolutions seem a tad more lively than I am used to.

China doing Africa a favor? Let's be honest China doesn't give a fuck about anybody else in this world except themselves and even that I'm not sure. Africa's resources are sought by China for their own personal gain, and the moment those dry up you'll see China abandon ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I think it's strange that the supervisors were armed. I mean even if some sort of protection or weapon was needed for some reason, couldn't they receive batons or mace? Guns seem a bit extreme.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-07-26 at 06:45 AM.

No government is going to invest in another country unless it somehow makes its' own citizens happy. Most likely for resources, or business, and in some few cases: to make its' citizens feel good about themselves when they see how they're helping out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    No government is going to invest in another country unless it somehow makes its' own citizens happy. Most likely for resources, or business, and in some few cases: to make its' citizens feel good about themselves when they see how they're helping out.
    I'm not so sure China is doing it "for their citizens" as much as they're doing it to gain power via resources on a global stage.

Anyway, Africa has a long history of people coming in and exploiting its people and resources. Seems they're more resolved to not let it continue happening.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I always imagined that Chinese projects in Africa were just clicking along.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

China cant deal with the africans, they have no idea how the african brain works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    ...couldn't they receive...maize?
    It would be amusing to see Chinese blokes threatening Africans with corn on the cob, not sure how effective it would be at busting strikes though.

It would be amusing to see Chinese blokes threatening Africans with corn on the cob, not sure how effective it would be at busting strikes though.
    Sorry, I meant mace xD

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    China doing Africa a favor? Let's be honest China doesn't give a fuck about anybody else in this world except themselves and even that I'm not sure. Africa's resources are sought by China for their own personal gain, and the moment those dry up you'll see China abandon ship.
    It will be a long time before african resources dry up, not in our lifetime for certain. By then, the continued economical presence of China (and other countries, but it's China that's investing the most in Africa) may turn many african countries from absolute shitholes to developing or maybe even developed countries, at which point natural resources will not have THAT much importance. There are plenty countries in the world with no natural resources to speak of - Japan being the prime example - yet having huge economies. Obviously, it's not like the change will ever come if the mentality of Africans doesn't change, Japan is world's 3rd economy because Japanese are hard-working people, which can't be said about Africans (unless they happen to have a white overlord with a lash over their heads, tee-hee. That was a joke, by the way).

Is China exploiting Africa? Obviously. Is it doing it strictly for its own benefit? Obviously. Is it helping Africa? Yes, it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

These tensions definitely aren't helped by the sense of ethnic superiority that a lot of Chinese from the mainland carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the Gilded Age, Africa edition. This time with added globalization.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

China isn't doing Africa favours at all.

The infrastructure is simply to allow them to get raw materials to ports to send to China. What they are doing is pure economic self interest.

Not sure what to say really, I live in Africa and prefer it when people comment on stuff they have a clue about.

Deleted
    China is bringing money and some jobs to Africa. They are doing them a favour, since it is universaly known that Africans have a horrible habit of running their countries into the ground.

China isn't racist they are just honest. A trait we honestly lost when it comes to dealing with Africa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I think it's strange that the supervisors were armed. I mean even if some sort of protection or weapon was needed for some reason, couldn't they receive batons or mace? Guns seem a bit extreme.
    It's freaking Africa...go to Liveleak n type Africa...

Makes sense for Chinese to have real protection.

Peoples don't get along due to blavks, example saw a youtube vid years ago with blacks in China, one was being chased by cops n managed to fall down some bridge n die, resulted in mass riot blacks breaking shit...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    China isn't doing Africa favours at all.

The infrastructure is simply to allow them to get raw materials to ports to send to China. What they are doing is pure economic self interest.
    There's a difference between intention and outcome. What China is doing is helping Africa, even if the motivation is pure self interest. It's basic economics, the invisible hand - as Adam Smith said, the baker does not feed people from the goodness of his heart. But he does feed people.

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest"

I'm sure there are some resentments and labour disputes, but many Africans and most African governments welcome China's economic engagement with Africa. The sub-continent was marginalised for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    China isn't racist they are just honest. A trait we honestly lost when it comes to dealing with Africa.

Africans are extremely superstitious, pre colonial sub saharan africans worshpped idols, like when a person dies in a black area you see all the candles and stuffed animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Africans are extremely superstitious, pre colonial sub saharan africans worshpped idols, like when a person dies in a black area you see all the candles and stuffed animals.
    I agree with you.. I just don't get the point you are trying to make?