Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Yeah it's a good addon. It still causes stuttering (for now) in the Beta, for example in Highmountain when some fel taurens hit you with some green AoE I CBA to remember. disabling ElvUI immediately fixed the stuttering, so there you go.

I'm sure they will fix it. No need to be defensive about this.
    Not at all about being defensive, just haven't personally seen anything that would point towards ElvUI specific being something that is a hardware hog on things. With 0 addons at all on the Beta, several of the AoEs caused a hitch because the effect or the spell itself was firing off rapidly and causing the issues.

It's not an 11 year old engine.

The internals of the engine got a massive revamp in Cata, and again in MoP. But visually speaking (which refers to the problem) Legion's new rendering systems are by far the biggest revamp of them all.

It's just patently dishonest bullshit and I don't know why people say it. WoW's engine is 11 years old in the same way Unreal Engine 4 is a 18 year old engine. Guess what: you can still use the same primitives, Unrealscript (well not for long on that) and elements of original UE1 codebase is still there. You can actually pretty easily import UE2 engine stuff into UE4.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a 6 year old PC too, and am pleasantly surprised by how well WoW runs on it. Playing on graphic setting 7 I get an easy 60fps out in the world. Maybe 30-40fps in crowded places with 50 people around. Considering the age of my PC I think this is pretty great.

dont understand guys, play the game with a hd7700 amd and i3-3220, 6g ram and can play it at ultra, putting shadow to minimum only, have 50-60 in big zone and 150-200 others zone, how can you not be able to play the game ? :P i mean its not like i have the most better pc out there

I've noticed since the patch that certain areas make me slow down to horrible levels of FPS, and my computer is fairly up-to-date (only about 2yr old but sadly integrated graphics) so at least I can say it's not just you.

I hope it's not an issue that will be addressed, but if not then goodbye to my plans of raiding seriously in Legion. I'll still play but there's no way I can bank my raiding ability on random extreme FPS drops.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    ElvUI is buggy atm. It also shows additional stuff compared to the default UI and that takes CPU power, in a game starved for exactly that. I'm not sure if they fixed it, but Elvui created some really annoying stuttering on the Beta, depending on what stuff you stood on,. also buffs/debuffs showed on the unitframes had issues.

It's a great addon and it's usually stable and working great, but as expected for what is essentially a Beta version, it has some issues that they will iron out in time.
    My ElvUI is currently using half the resources that Ackis Recipe List is using, so no, it not causing fps issues.

Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    WoW is an odd one. My rig (i7 4790k, GTX 980, 16GB) seems to struggle to keep a nice 60fps at max settings, and since pre-patch it hits even 28fps in effect-heavy areas.
    So I guess I need a goddamn Titan X?
    No, your graphics are not the issue (from what I can gather). There is no processor strong enough to hold you at 60fps max settings in populated areas... Maybe one day, but I doubt it
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

I remember on PTR my MBP Early 2015 was fucked up on lowest settings possible. Before that I could play WOD on somewhat minimum settings and be fine with the picture/performance. I hope they fixed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noobadrood View Post
    WoW is an odd one. My rig (i7 4790k, GTX 980, 16GB) seems to struggle to keep a nice 60fps at max settings, and since pre-patch it hits even 28fps in effect-heavy areas.
    So I guess I need a goddamn Titan X?
    Upgrading your GFX will do almost nothing in terms of performance in a game such as WoW, it's bound to the CPU in 75%ish of all the performance increase you can get. Sitting with a 1080 ontop of i5-4670k and it's diving to 50-60fps in very populated places like Stormspire on a healthy realm, though the render resolution is set to 200%, 7 in quality with MSAA x4 and CMAA. The problem with the Legion prepatch was addons interferring with the ingame performance, especially npcscan overlay did that.

Deleted
    Quick question. Whats the deal with vsync? why do people change it? Myself and everyone i know say that the quality looks a lot better when its capped to your refresh rate (60 for me) instead of changing it to get higher fps numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Upgrading your GFX will do almost nothing in terms of performance in a game such as WoW, it's bound to the CPU in 75%ish of all the performance increase you can get. Sitting with a 1080 ontop of i5-4670k and it's diving to 50-60fps in very populated places like Stormspire on a healthy realm, though the render resolution is set to 200%, 7 in quality with MSAA x4 and CMAA. The problem with the Legion prepatch was addons interferring with the ingame performance, especially npcscan overlay did that.
    I've got the same rig atm, a 4670k (@4.2ghz) and a 1080, never realized just how severely CPU dependent the game was until i got the 1080 which makes barely any difference to a 780 (apart from render scale and other GPU features) when it comes to WoW.

Well the game is getting more and more demanding despite it being 12 years old.
    Before the prepatch my recommended graphics setting was 10 (everything maxed), now in this patch my recommended setting is 7 which is basically everything on High.
    I'm sitting on a 6700k clocked to 4.7GHz and a GTX1070 and only running 1080p and if I try to use the new maxed out settings I will drop to 20-30 FPS on occasion even if I will usually stay above 60, before the patch however I rarely dropped below 100 and in many areas I would be at 200+ if I didn't limit it.

WoW is NOT 12 years old. If you want to check your shit with an 12 years old game, get a vanilla client and watch it run exceptionally fast.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul360 View Post
    Quick question. Whats the deal with vsync? why do people change it? Myself and everyone i know say that the quality looks a lot better when its capped to your refresh rate (60 for me) instead of changing it to get higher fps numbers.
    Vsync is both hard on FPS, and it can (often) create input lag, and slight delay between taking an action and seeing it on the screen. It's just overall bad for gaming unless your computer is WAY powerful for the game you are running. If you have any questions at all about how well you can run a game, or if you play competitively where input delay could hamper your gameplay, vsync should be turned off.

is 6700k and gtx 1080 able to max the new "10" preset setting in 1080p?

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    dont understand guys, play the game with a hd7700 amd and i3-3220, 6g ram and can play it at ultra, putting shadow to minimum only, have 50-60 in big zone and 150-200 others zone, how can you not be able to play the game ? :P i mean its not like i have the most better pc out there
    Are you running little to no addons?

Similiar to OP. I have two 6 year old computers and both are REALLY struggling with this prepatch. Had no issues in WoD at all though. The FPS drops is crazy. Was getting steady 60+ fps in WoD. Had to turn all my settings down to low now and even then it's difficult to play..

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Im not saying it is the main problem here. It was even stated it was turned off, so it couldn't be. It is a resource hog though in part because it does so many things.
    If by resource hog you mean it uses 8MB of my 32,768MB (32GB) of RAM?

There's no way ElvUI will cause FPS issues on a modern computer unless it's throwing errors and isn't updated. ElvUI coders are very good, I know a few of them personally and ElvUI uses far less resources than many other addons that do far less. I can assure you ElvUI is almost never the problem, because if it is, it will be fixed within a day.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    I have a 6700k (will OC to 4.7-4.8GHz) coming tomorrow, and I will be buying the new Titan X Pascal edition for $1200 when it releases on the 2nd. I still don't expect to be able to max WoW at 4K and maintain 60fps everywhere. The game is not very well optimized.

The new legion "10" preset is super demanding at 4K.
    Curious as to why you would buy a new Titan X and not just wait for a 1080 Ti.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Curious as to why you would buy a new Titan X and not just wait for a 1080 Ti.
    Why wait on a card that could never exist, and if it does, won't be more than a couple hundred $ cheaper with slightly worse performance (based on past Titan > Ti releases).

Earliest I would expect that is Oct/Nov, way too long to wait for a computer part. By the time the 1080Ti comes, if it comes, Votla will be a few months off which will beat both of these cards. It's a never ending cycle.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2016-07-26 at 10:39 AM.