Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

If Naxx40 released in today's modern raiding enviroment, how long would it last?

Let's say that vanilla Naxx and wotlk Naxx never existed, this raid releases tomorrow and it only has one difficulty, it releases tomorrow, how long would it take for the first guild to kill KT.

Obviously it'd be a little hard to properly introduce many of the mechanics today but let's assume it's as pure of a copy as possible in terms of difficulty.

Some things are still a factor: resist gear, consumables, Patchwerk etc are scaled to require the same high amount of dps relatively to current dps.

I imagine it wouldn't take very long but I'd like to read opinions.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would take about a week max. Naxx is very simple in mechanics compaired to todays. Imagine putting vanilla raiders into todays raids, they would quit in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    It would take about a week max. Naxx is very simple in mechanics compaired to todays. Imagine putting vanilla raiders into todays raids, they would quit in a day or two.
    This has been done before by the main tank of Nihilum came back to wow and was able to clear the current raids in under a week the best players are the best for a reason regardless of what you idiots think

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-07-26 at 03:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Naxx 40 was simplistic mechanically, but had cock-block bosses (such as Patchwerk) which couldn't be outskilled, you either had good enough gear or not. That would require a few weeks to gear up on other bosses just to have a geared enough raid to take him on.

That said I doubt many raiders these days have the stomach for 40 man raiding where bosses drop 4 items of loot, and the drama that comes from it. Not many raid leaders (even the most hardcore) would want to have to manage such a large roster either.

As Tommi said putting those hardcore Naxx 40 / C'thun world first teams in appropriate gear today and drop them in Hellfire Citadel or Siege of Orgrimaar and they'd wet themselves.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by spain20 View Post
    This has been done before by the main tank of Nihilum came back to wow and was able to clear the current raids in under a week the best players are the best for a reason regardless of what you idiots think
    So he got carried? Got a link?

Dunno how long it would last - maybe a week or two - but whats sure, that most of the people would not even enter it, they'd just go to forums and rant about how fucking shitty the new content is

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of the reason Naxx took so long was grinding gear for/recruiting tanks for 4 Horsemen. Assuming that cockblock is still in place, a similar time frame I would guess.

If not, it would go down pretty quickly, players tool kits are much bigger/better than in Vanilla, for instance most classes had 0 self sustainability, healing was entirely on your healers outside of bandages (Which people did use in raids), and AoE healing pretty much wasn't a thing except chain heal, this lead to things like needing frost resist pots and using them on things like KT's frost volley ect. And healers getting behind because people failing mechanics like are generally what lead to wipes. AoE healing to the extent we have now would trivialize a majority of vanilla content tbh.

Deleted
    Guilds do not have 40 people today. Guilds are not used to get only 3 items per kill for 40 people. Guilds are not used to be gear checked.

Guilds are not used to guild breaker bosses... 4 horsemen... guilds are not used to lose their maintanks because only a few hight end guilds have the needed roster.

So no...it would takes months...as it took months when is was current content.

It wouldn't take long...

Naxx 40 existed when gear mattered far more then it did today and it was harder to get.

Naxx 40 released into todays wow would drop 12 items per boss with some of them randomly being 20ilvs higher then they should be with classes that are tenfold as powerful as vanilla ones.

Hell the healing fight would be a utter joke with leech alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you got carried, literally impossible, the gear grind in Vanilla was intense, 40 man raids where most bosses dropped 2-3 pieces of loot, and Naxx required about 8 tanks in full tier (From Naxx) for 4HM. Also, I don't remember Kungen quitting WoW until like, Cata? Been awhile though.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2016-07-26 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    So he got carried? Got a link?
    He did get carried, watched a couple of his videos, dude's a scrub skill-wise in most games.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    He did get carried, watched a couple of his videos, dude's a scrub skill-wise in most games.
    Got a link to the player in question? I never followed that guild. Wouldnt mind seeing some of his videos right after coming back.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because they leave their jobs and any other obligations behind every time new content comes out to sit in front of their computers for days or weeks straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    Guilds do not have 40 people today. Guilds are not used to get only 3 items per kill for 40 people. Guilds are not used to be gear checked.

Guilds are not used to guild breaker bosses... 4 horsemen... guilds are not used to lose their maintanks because only a few hight end guilds have the needed roster.

So no...it would takes months...as it took months when is was current content.
    Just want to address this "Guilds aren't used to guild breaker bosses." idea. So people just quit at Gorefiend eh? Or Blackfuse, Klaxxi, Garrosh, Blackhand, Blast Furnace? THere are fights just are guild breakery as 4hmen in the game these days.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    He got carried bro, watch the video

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well unlike back then, today 4HM would be easier since you'd have a lot of dualspec characters with a tank spec to take them on. The big issue as everyone has said is if Naxx 40 was still gear starved as it was back then. If yes then it would take longer to clear the place because of that. If not, it'd be cleared very fast.
    The biggest problem with 4hmen and tanks was the taunt miss chance which a single missed taunt could wipe you. Since taunt can't miss any more and we don't need 4 or 6 piece T3 I don't remember which to never miss with it the gearing requirement is much less for that fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drattz View Post
    Just want to address this "Guilds aren't used to guild breaker bosses." idea. So people just quit at Gorefiend eh? Or Blackfuse, Klaxxi, Garrosh, Blackhand, Blast Furnace? THere are fights just are guild breakery as 4hmen in the game these days.
    The reason 4HM was a guild murdering machine was tanks. Allll about the tanks. Guilds wanted the tanks from other guilds because you needed so many geared tanks, and when your tank got sniped it was hard to replace them, and gearing new tanks took so long. My server had a guild notorious for approaching any tank that reached decent AQ40 levels. I don't think any boss in WoW history has created such a cut throat environment.

Compared to today, our tank quit mid BRF and I stepped up and had similar gear in about 2 weeks, and was able to tank just fine with meh gear until then. in Vanilla, you lost your MT, you might not even be able to raid current content that week.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2016-07-26 at 09:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Let's say that vanilla Naxx and wotlk Naxx never existed, this raid releases tomorrow and it only has one difficulty, it releases tomorrow, how long would it take for the first guild to kill KT.

Obviously it'd be a little hard to properly introduce many of the mechanics today but let's assume it's as pure of a copy as possible in terms of difficulty.

Some things are still a factor: resist gear, consumables, Patchwerk etc are scaled to require the same high amount of dps relatively to current dps.

I imagine it wouldn't take very long but I'd like to read opinions.
    Depends if you have the old battle system or not.

History already taught us that with the current battle system (post wow 3.0) naxxramas didn't last long (it's what happened during WOTLK).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Got a link to the player in question? I never followed that guild. Wouldnt mind seeing some of his videos right after coming back.
    Dude's name is Kungen, sorry.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Naxx is very simple in mechanics compaired to todays.
    Just because something is simple/straightforward to understand doesn't make it easy. I.E Thaddius is fairly straightforward (swap when you're supposed to, do the adds right, etc) but I would take mythic Gorefiend over Thaddius any day of the week.

Having lots of convoluted mechanics alone doesn't make a fight hard, I would say Naxx 40 was more challenging than mythic HFC.