Thread: Rip yahoo 2016

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I can't believe anyone would buy yahoo for that much. What can you possibly do with it when Google is not only dominating the market and is innovating so much.
    Simple. Yahoo News is the most used news source on the internet. So it has the traffic. It just needs to leverage that traffic in new ways, and not stay stuck in 90's mode of operation.

I wish I could be paid 232 million to push a company into irrelevancy in just 4 short years. I mean, I don't have a business degree or anything, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    what do people think about when they think of Yahoo? A shittier version of Google? Those ads from the 90s?
    I think of Yahoo! chat. Hard to believe that just over a decade ago, that was a hugely popular app, now I don't think anyone uses it.

My Wife still makes daily use of her Yahoo! email, but I have not used the service in years. Although I still use my AOL email that I have had for 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Oh boy. Some of my older email accounts are Yahoo accounts. They'll continue to be okay to use, right?
    They should be fine. My AOL still works fine today since it's decline many years ago.

Verizon got ripped off.

I had not used yahoo for ten years until I married a Chinese woman, took a trip to China and discovered Google is a blocked site in China. The Chinese alternative to Google is called biadu but it gives a lot of results in Chinese characters. Yahoo was the next best thing for a guy like me. I hope it at least remains this way under Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Simple. Yahoo News is the most used news source on the internet. So it has the traffic. It just needs to leverage that traffic in new ways, and not stay stuck in 90's mode of operation.
    Still doesn't justify the price.

The only value Yahoo has was it's stocks in Alibaba and Yahoo japan (which they get free money from). The so called core business is totally worthless and no amount of traffic justifies the price.

Normally startups get sold for stupid amounts because the new parent company wants either some of the tech or the people behind it. But Yahoo at this point has what? Some useless startups they bought for to much money and some websites that aren't actually bringing in money.

btw the guys at Microsoft that wanted to buy Yahoo for 10 times the amount should get fired and banished from every executive position out their.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    What has Yahoo been for the last 15 years, other than PUP and bloatware?
    They threw $1b away somewhat recently buying Tumblr, that's about as much as I can remember of them.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

What's funny is that I'm working in a building that had the German yahoo headquarters for a while. I still saw their logo on the glass doors leading to their floor. Got taken down and replaced with a call center couple years ago. Walking by that door was such a blast from the past. And a bit sad to see it scraped off, there goes another pioneer without whom we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    yahoo was sold to verizon for $4.83bn (£3.7bn) www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36881101
    I am actually amazed that they managed to run alone for this long.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I am actually amazed that they managed to run alone for this long.
    Well, they were #1 at some point. You could probably make a good case for their management not being totally inept and slowing down atrition to drag it out this long. But everyone knew it was inevitable once Google started going full throttle. I remember seeing the Google search engine for the first time and deciding to never visit that horrible Yahoo directory ever again.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Well, they were #1 at some point. You could probably make a good case for their management not being totally inept and slowing down atrition to drag it out this long. But everyone knew it was inevitable once Google started going full throttle. I remember seeing the Google search engine for the first time and deciding to never visit that horrible Yahoo directory ever again.
    Oh, I am not disagreeing, someone had the pieces enough to keep them sailing, and now it has struck rock.

And with the google engine, I had the same opinion myself. Hehe.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I remember when you could log on Yahoo and get (somewhat) informational news. Now its nothing but drivel and clickbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, I am not disagreeing, someone had the pieces enough to keep them sailing, and now it has struck rock.

And with the google engine, I had the same opinion myself. Hehe.
    In hindsight, I'd love to see the Yahoo side of this. I wonder if they ever realised at a certain focus point in time "Shit, we're really losing website visits... like visibly, the last month we lost like 30% visits" or how long they pretended that Google was just "a phase".

They never even attempted to copy the Google search engine, did they? Always with their shite directory.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The only time in my life that I've used Yahoo is when I've started to play Vampire: The Masquerade. I've made a fake email account for one of my NPC's, and used it to send emails to my players. Well, it's nice to have 1tb of free online storage too, but I've never used it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In hindsight, I'd love to see the Yahoo side of this. I wonder if they ever realised at a certain focus point in time "Shit, we're really losing website visits... like visibly, the last month we lost like 30% visits" or how long they pretended that Google was just "a phase".

They never even attempted to copy the Google search engine, did they? Always with their shite directory.
    I remember them being quite strong sitting, to the point where they paid schools to teach kids to use the free website system, geocities, I think the name was. Hehe. And no this..

Deleted
    losing to google is nothing to be ashamed of really, its not like lycos or aol search beat them lol

10+ Year Old Account

For some reason I'm picturing old grey haired white guys "Damn kids, with their googles and bings. They're going too fast. Back when we were in charge, if you wanted to see a naked woman online. You looked in the directory, for blurry thumbnails, then you had to wait. We sat in chairs for 20 minutes. Uphill. Both ways. Buck naked. Um, er, now they have their gigabytes, terabytes, sounds metric, and you know who uses metric? Communists. It's just a phase. Someone will clog the googles and they'll come back to us."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Sweet maybe they'll bring back Geocities.

LOL I forgot about that place... I think my first web site I ever created was on Geocities...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how that decision not to buy Google is working out for them now? :P

Serves them right for making me change my password last year due to "improvements to our security policies". What the hell was wrong with "sonysony"? I already made it eight letters when they started demanding 6+ in 1998! >.>

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrackerzod View Post
    Microsoft offered to buy Yahoo for 44.6 billion dollars in 2008, and Yahoo turned down their offer. I guess that wasn't such a good decision.

https://techcrunch.com/2008/02/01/wo...acquire-yahoo/
    Ouch, guess 5 billion is better than nothing though.