Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PC and WoW after launch of pre-patch

Hello,
    I had a rather old pc (intel core 2 duo, 8GB ram, NVidia GTS250 4GB) but up until the pre-patch I was able to play wow with no fps issues (at normal settings) and stuff.
    Since then, it became pretty unplayable in raids especially on pull where it freezes for a couple of seconds (on the lowest settings available) and beyond where the fps drops to 10 even lower sometimes.

Currently I don't have the budget to upgrade fully to a new PC however I am considering to buy a new video card.
    Do you guys think the new card will fix the fps issues or it is not just only a GPU's problem but also the CPU's as well?

Thanx in advance.

Deleted
    No, a new Card makes no sense. WoW needs a good CPU, but your GPU is also way too shitty.

15+ Year Old Account
    What socket is your motherboard? Maybe you could squeeze out a new CPU and GPU cheaply (they certainly won't be bleeding edge, but practically anything would be an upgrade for you at the moment) :-/
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't happen to just have force loaded some old addon? For example Grid caused the behaviour you're describing, before they updated it for 7.0.3.

Replacing either CPU or GPU would probably make the game work better in general, though. I'd opt going for a new GPU just because it's easier and likely cheaper to do than replacing the combo of CPU/RAM/Motherboard. With a new GPU you can take full advantage of WoW's DX11-mode and thus free up at least some CPU resources.

You need a whole system upgrade but like above try and find a cheap GPU to see if it helps to run in dx11 mode. You should be able to find a gtx 460 for very cheap (20-30 bucks) this would run the game in dx11 and is about ~30% faster than your card as well. Other cards to look for would be gtx 560/560ti/465/650/650ti, all of those should be cheap on used market.

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate all of your suggestions, I m planning to buy a GeForce GT 710 2GB it costs about 50e and it supports up to DX12, I hope at least this could make the game playable until late November.

Quote Originally Posted by ant13 View Post
    Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate all of your suggestions, I m planning to buy a GeForce GT 710 2GB it costs about 50e and it supports up to DX12, I hope at least this could make the game playable until late November.
    No, dont do that lol. A 710 is not a gaming graphics card, its barely faster than onboard graphics and its likely slower than the card you currently have. Look to the used market here like the advice i gave above.

You are right, I noticed that after, and while i was about to edit the post I saw your reply.
    I end up finding a GTX 750 either 1 or 2 gb there is a 20-30e difference 90 to 110-120 so i m considering one of them, most probably the 2gb one.

You are right, I noticed that after, and while i was about to edit the post I saw your reply.
    I end up finding a GTX 750 either 1 or 2 gb there is a 20-30e difference 90 to 110-120 so i m considering one of them, most probably the 2gb one.
    Dont consider anything below GTX 660 Ti/GTX 750 Ti. 2GB minimum.

15+ Year Old Account
    You need a new CPU not a new GPU. Well, as other have stated, you need both. Badly. But CPU will net you better gains.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Dont consider anything below GTX 660 Ti/GTX 750 Ti. 2GB minimum.
    I can pull my 760 out of my machine and throw in my 465 and not tell a difference between the two on 7 (recommended) settings. If he just needs to get by til november, buying a gtx 460 for 20 bucks is a solid move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    You need a new CPU not a new GPU. Well, as other have stated, you need both. Badly. But CPU will net you better gains.
    Agreed but you cant find super cheap mobo/cpu/ram combos like you can video cards on used sites.

15+ Year Old Account
    Has the OP mentioned a max budget?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Think he is looking for ultra cheap just to get him by til november when i assume is when he would build a pc.

Currently I can spend about 100-150e that is how much I ve found the GTX 750ti 2GB on the market.

Currently I can spend about 100-150e that is how much I ve found the GTX 750ti 2GB on the market.
    You can get a GTX 950 for 160 and GTX 960 for 185.

Hello all, I finally managed to get ASUS GTX 950 OC 2GB DDR5 on my hands.
    The problem is that it is not compatible with my motherboard... i can't explain otherwise the thing that when windows 10 starts, the monitor goes into power save mode.

What 950 did you get, does it require a PCI-E power cable and did you plug it in?

yeah it requires a 6-pin one and ofc i plugged it in:P
    My mobo is rather old though... Asus P5K premium ...

Motherboard has nothing to do with anything, its all backwards compatible. Other than checking power options in windows dunno what to tell you, very odd issue you have.

I even tried to re install windows, but I cant, because the monitor goes to power save mode... ffs..... my power supply is good I think it is a 535W one...