Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Good. I'm more interested in what will be done to improve the nation rather than hearing about what the latest "common enemy" is that we're all supposed to unite against.
    Is it Eurasia or Eastasia whom we are currently fighitng?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So when are either party going to address the problem of high crime areas?
    You can't, not without being called a racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How many Americans have faced an actual terrorist attack in the past 10 years, on a per-capita basis? It's just really not the expansive threat people make it out to be. Sure, the attacks that do happen are tragic, but for example, in 2015, toddlers killed more people in the USA than terrorists did. Why didn't the DNC mention the "threat" of armed toddlers?
    Because those are all accidental. Nobody accidentally commits a terrorist act. And the fear comes from the fact that we dont know when or where another one could happen. Who would have though one would happen in a small town night club. The next one could be a daycare center in Jackson Hole Wyoming. They arent sticking to just attacks in big cities like LA and New York. Thats why people are worried. It could happen literally anywhere.

And more people have been killed by terrorism than there has been African Americans killed by police, yet they are going to devote a whole day to that. And well over half of the ones that were shot were shot because they were either armed or trying to get to a weapon and not following orders. Why shouldnt we gloss over that too, not enough people are affected by it to worry about it.

Lets just spend the whole convention demonizing Trump, deflecting the dischord in the democratic party, silencing the Bernie supporters, and putting up a false facade that they love America
    Last edited by Orlong; 2016-07-26 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    IF someone had killed them earlier, there would be a good chance ISIS would've never existed. I firmly believe that the world would be a better place without them.

I mean, come on. they are following a man that openly advocates war crimes. and I can't wish death upon them?
    Well... seeing as you are supposed to be on the side of so called compassionate, understanding, caring, and accepting individuals... the fact that you show the true face of the progressives, i expect nothing less.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    im not saying they shouldn't care, just that a lot probably wont, so the best tactic for the dnc here is to just act like it never happened
    That will outrage people more.

There's a reason why she's the most disliked democrat and why so many wanted Bernie. Because they see how fucked and corrupted their party is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    But being randomly shot in a nightclub is absurdly rare. Orlando was shocking and devastating, and I won't say ISIS isn't a threat, but it isn't nearly as much of a threat, on American soil, as people make it out to be.
    Part of it being rare is deterrence put into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Well... seeing as you are supposed to be on the side of so called compassionate, understanding, caring, and accepting individuals... the fact that you show the true face of the progressives, i expect nothing less.
    I am personally in the middle of the spectrum, just because I hate US republicans does not mean I am a progressive. But whatever, believe in fairy tales if you want. I would like to see those republicans gone for the massive damage they did to this world. If you cannot see the damage they have done, then you are too indoctrinated to have a discussion with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    you must be unfamiliar with the concept of a party convention. An echo chamber is basically what it is supposed to be.
    I should have said "tumblr echo chamber". There, you happy? There was zero intelligence in what they were saying. How can anyone outside of tumblr be happy with this party?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The republican convention was "BE AFRAID OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE! BE AFRAID BE MORE AFRAID BE EVEN MORE AFRAID!"

Do we really need a repeat of that?

Terrorism is simply not a top domestic issue. Republicans focused on it because they didn't really have any other points to focus on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    But if they don't chant it, how will we know to be afraid and buy guns?
    They did not even chant 'USA!USA!USA!'.

Well, at-least Obama's wife called America the greatest country on earth, so atleast we got 1 stereotypical line.
    Try to keep up, Democrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Because those are all accidental. Nobody accidentally commits a terrorist act.
    That is completely and utterly irrelevant. Getting murdered by a mob assassin is a deliberate, intentional murder, but that doesn't mean Americans should be running around scared of the "threat" of mob assassins, rather than actual, relevant issues, that actually have direct impacts on a wide swath of Americans.

And the fear comes from the fact that we dont know when or where another one could happen. Who would have though one would happen in a small town night club. The next one could be a daycare center in Jackson Hole Wyoming. They arent sticking to just attacks in big cities like LA and New York. Thats why people are worried. It could happen literally anywhere.
    That "fear" is the goal of terrorism. It's why "terror" is in there. If you're afraid, the terrorists have already won. They've achieved their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Of course our resident White-Supremacist sympathiser, Lockedout, would promote this as some fearmongering bullshit. They will... DNC doesn't fearmonger like you and your racist klansmen do.
    You seem very upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, not all candidates use the "external threat" scare as their primary way of gaining votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I should have said "tumblr echo chamber". There, you happy? There was zero intelligence in what they were saying. How can anyone outside of tumblr be happy with this party?
    How can anybody be happy with the republicans?

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    I am personally in the middle of the spectrum, just because I hate US republicans does not mean I am a progressive. But whatever, believe in fairy tales if you want. I would like to see those republicans gone for the massive damage they did to this world. If you cannot see the damage they have done, then you are too indoctrinated to have a discussion with.
    So... because you have shown your true face by being a careless, heartless, and hateful human being, I am to indoctrinated... calling for the death of people who disagree with you... now who does that sound like?
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That is completely and utterly irrelevant. Getting murdered by a mob assassin is a deliberate, intentional murder, but that doesn't mean Americans should be running around scared of the "threat" of mob assassins, rather than actual, relevant issues, that actually have direct impacts on a wide swath of Americans.

That "fear" is the goal of terrorism. It's why "terror" is in there. If you're afraid, the terrorists have already won. They've achieved their goal.
    Yes but people who are assassinated by a mob hitman arent innocent people going about the regular days. They got involved with the mob and refused to pay them, or snitched or something. The mob doesnt just go out and randomly kill lots of people for no reason like terrorists do. You cant avoid terrorism, but you CAN avoid the mob by not getting involved with them. Thats why the fear of terrorism is rational

10+ Year Old Account
    Just in case no one read the actual Politifact findings, they did show a video rebuking terrorist during the first day at the convention. It's just that none of the speakers mentioned it specifically. The quote from the video was:

"From Stonewall to Laramie, and now Orlando, we've seen too many examples of how the struggle to live freely, openly and without fear has been met by violence. We have to stand together, be proud together. There is no better rebuke to the terrorists and all those who hate."
    Eat yo vegetables

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Republicans’ claim that Democrats did not mention terrorism or ISIL on the first night of the Democratic National Convention is correct, Politifact said Tuesday morning.

Following Monday night’s speeches, Republicans blasted the Democrats for a lack of focus on terrorism from the 61 speakers.
    Story Continued Below

“Based on our searches of C-SPAN closed-captioning text, Congressional Quarterly transcripts and other video archiving services, we couldn’t find any speaker who mentioned "ISIS," "Islamic" "terror," "terrorist," or "terrorism" during the first day of the convention,” Politifact wrote.

The fact-checking website did add the caveat that the Democrats still have three days to discuss terrorism at the convention and the first day of the convention was not meant to focus on foreign policy. Additionally, Hillary Clinton on Monday called for action against ISIL at a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“We need to lead other countries in stopping ISIS, Al Qaeda, and other radical jihadist groups,” she said. "We shouldn’t leave that to the rest of the world to figure out on their own. That won’t keep us safe."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...vention-226202
    OMG! The horrors!

You mean the Democrats aren't engaged in the same fear-mongering as the Republicans? Why, that is unthinkable! Fear must be maintained at all costs! There are no other issues on this planet besides terrorism!

Why, today alone, there were 3 or 4 bombs going off in my suburban American neighborhood...right?

/facepalm

Just because Republicans are stupid enough to get sucked into wedge issues at the drop of a pin doesn't mean that those wedge issues are nearly as important as you think. There are a lot of issues on the table that need to be discussed...far beyond the 5 or 6 wedge issues that Republicans talk about over and over and over again (and still have no answers besides "only they can fix it"...somehow).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yes but people who are assassinated by a mob hitman arent innocent people going about the regular days. They got involved with the mob and refused to pay them, or snitched or something. The mob doesnt just go out and randomly kill lots of people for no reason like terrorists do. You cant avoid terrorism, but you CAN avoid the mob by not getting involved with them. Thats why the fear of terrorism is rational
    Holy shit, the fear is real. Just what the Republicans want.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Another day, another thread thats kiiinnnda pointless

may I ask, so what? I do not feel under threat of terrorism. I care about economics, education, etc etc.