Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I put out a hundred resumes. It's a lot of work but it always gets me a job. I also work on my resume a lot to make sure it's correct in grammar and spelling, that all the information they want is easy to find, references, etc.

I make sure I get back to people when they contact me cause they might hire me in the future if not now.

I start interviewing I know I'm going to fail the first 10 or so, these are for practice.

It's a lot easier now cause there are so many empty jobs. If there are no jobs were you are at consider moving.

Have skills that people want.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I put out a hundred resumes. It's a lot of work but it always gets me a job. I also work on my resume a lot to make sure it's correct in grammar and spelling, that all the information they want is easy to find, references, etc.

I make sure I get back to people when they contact me cause they might hire me in the future if not now.

I start interviewing I know I'm going to fail the first 10 or so, these are for practice.

It's a lot easier now cause there are so many empty jobs. If there are no jobs were you are at consider moving.

Have skills that people want.
    Good tips! Thanks! The job market here is very good and lots of demand for my skillset so that's good.

Indeed.com - Monster.com

I found a great job after being laid off from my pharma job by sifting through the Monster.com emails. You will get a ton of junk - tons of recruiters just filling a quota - but if you find a job that someone from that actual company reaches out to you from their HR department you should definitely look closer at those companies. I had never heard of my company(different field) but I noticed their HR head is the one who emailed me, not some random recruitment company.

You will get tons of random stuff too - security system installer, bank teller, life insurance, health insurance, blah blah blah totally unrelated to your field. It paid off for me though.

Also pay for the upgraded LinkedIn that helps you job search - as soon as you get a job just cancel - it helps you be seen more by recruiters on LinkedIn.

You pretty much nailed the scheduling aspect - treat the job hunt like it is your job. Wake up and knock out a few solid hours of work, make different resumes, research career specific cover letters(some want photos, some don't). Look up company mission statements and use that knowledge to your advantage in your cover letters.
    Good luck!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonia View Post
    Also pay for the upgraded LinkedIn that helps you job search - as soon as you get a job just cancel - it helps you be seen more by recruiters on LinkedIn.
    Yup -- already did that part!

Thanks for the tips.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Lucky. All the recruiters here in the software field tell me over a page is almost always in the trash. However, your position probably has far less candidates than lead developers do.
    Ugh, such a PITA in this field. All that education stuff? Trim it down until it's just a list of what I finished. All that job and volunteer experience? Trim, just a list. I hate updating my resume because of how this field handles them.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Ugh, such a PITA in this field. All that education stuff? Trim it down until it's just a list of what I finished. All that job and volunteer experience? Trim, just a list. I hate updating my resume because of how this field handles them.
    The job industry gets away with a ton of crap like that mainly because they can due to the overabundance of workers and a short supply of jobs. For my entry level job search they are pretty much looking for a Harvard grad to fetch their coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Hey folks -- so in a refreshing change from politics where everyone can post here and have a nice dialogue I wanted to pick the collective MMO-C brain on job hunting tips.

My situation: After a 15 year run I'm getting laid off this week. I've known about this for quite some time and am not terribly upset about it as I've been pondering moving on for a while and have a nice severance package to give me a while to find the next opportunity. However I started working here right out of grad school -- thus never really had to do a full on external job search before.

I'm looking for advice, tips, tricks, etc.

Couple of points -- the jobs I'm looking for are upper management type so it's not an entry level role search. I will have access to an outplacement service that has a very good reputation.

Here is what I know so far:
    -Network, network, network. That's generally how jobs are obtained these days. I'm currently in the process of activating my network and setting up lunches over the next few weeks to see what jobs are out there.
    -Tailor resume to roles to try to align the job description to how your resume reads.
    -Linkedin is probably the #1 spot for online job searching -- but hit up company specific boards as sometimes there is a lag before they show up on Linkedin -- and being at the head of the pack gives a huge advantage.

And some quality of life tips:
    -Have a schedule. I'm going to start each morning with a nice breakfast, then hit the gym, then come home and spend a few hours each day job hunting...after taking a week off to just relax of course.

Anyone else go through this recent? Any tips? Tricks? Let me (and other posters here) know!
    http://linkedin.com/

I had to delete my profile because I kept getting job offers

Or Try a head hunter firm, that's how we found our engineers.

I've gone through two significant job hunts in my life. One took 18 months, the other took 7. The first time, I was a freelancer working about half time. The second time, I was full time, but underpaid and looking to leave town to be with my then girlfriend, now wife.

Networking is key, as you say. Let everyone you know you are looking for work.

Failing that, I found indeed.com has the highest quality postings and search function. Customize your cover letter (e-mail body) for each application, but don't go on at great length.

For your resume, focus on what you accomplished, not just a list of duties, and bullet points are generally better than paragraphs. They catch the eye better.

For the interview process redirect the conversation (within reason) to what you can do for the client (your prospective employer). What challenges and problems do they have that you can solve? Stay away from historical questions (such as where you worked and when).

For the entire job-hunt process, I highly recommend "What Color is Your Parachute?" by Richard Bolles. His discussion on interviews is especially good.

You don't say what industry you are in, but if you (or anyone else reading this thread) is a software developer, I recommend "Cracking the Coding Interview" by Gayle Laakman McDowell. Aside from her general tips, there are many exercises which help prepare you for the coding challenge part of the interview.

Finally, treat looking for work as your new job. You don't necessarily have to put in forty hour weeks, but at least twenty hour weeks is not unreasonable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Keep the resume tight and down to one page, tailored to the position and the company.
    I'm surprised to see this mentioned again; the other recent mention was in the thread by a guy looking for a job.

What industry are you guys, who believe a resume should still fit on one page, working in? Outside of college interns, I can't remember the last time I saw a one page resume. After ~27 years in the tech industry my own resume is currently just a little over 3.5 pages. There's no way I could fit all that experience on to one page.

Anyone else go through this recent? Any tips? Tricks? Let me (and other posters here) know!
    You say you knew about this layoff happening for "quite some time now" but decided to wait until the last minute to set up networking and looking for a job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont just attach your resume and click submit on a website. Actually show up at the place you want employment and drop off your resume in person. It shows determination and allows the employer to get a visual impression of you. Often you will get an interview on the spot. Ive gotten several jobs this way.

Also follow up after dropping off your resume if you dont hear anything back in a couple days. You need to show desire for the job and not look like you just went to a career center and sent a resume to every business like youre trying to comply with work search requirements for welfare or unemployment.

Also clean up all of your social media pages and make sure there is nothing in appropriate on them, most employers WILL look at them.

Lastly delete all of your anti-Trump posts on MMO-C
    Last edited by Orlong; 2016-07-26 at 05:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You say you knew about this layoff happening for "quite some time now" but decided to wait until the last minute to set up networking and looking for a job?
    Hardly the last minute given I've already lined up meetings with my network.

But that aside if I jumped the gun too quickly and found a job before I actually got laid off I'd give up my severance. Which is substantial and significant motivation to time this correctly.

My original degree was in Chemistry, but I've subsequently picked up my MBA. I worked in the pharma industry and most recent jobs were Project Management, Internal Consulting, and Business Development Implementation (so doing the post-close work for integrations and divestitures).

- - - Updated - - -

My severance package lasts until March. My time, at least for now, would be better served networking, job hunting, and interviewing rather than typing up my time with low paying jobs.
    If you are a good project manager they are known to make good money and tying it in to the Pharmaceutical field or even branching out a bit to something Project managing in general companies love good project managers. How ever if something goes wrong on the project the shitstorm always goes to the PM fair warning. also as others have said keep the resumè to one page neatly formatted and tailored for specific companies that you are applying for and keep it relevant. I don't use LinkedIn because of the spam emails but thats just me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Dont just attach your resume and click submit on a website. Actually show up at the place you want employment and drop off your resume in person. It shows determination and allows the employer to get a visual impression of you. Often you will get an interview on the spot. Ive gotten several jobs this way.
    It's funny there is some really split opinions on whether or not this actually helps or harms you. The advice I've received from my HR colleagues in my field is to stick to online as in-person resume drop-offs are more likely to get dumped or never make it to the right desk. *shrug*

Also clean up all of your social media pages and make sure there is nothing in appropriate on them, most employers WILL look at them.
    The only social media page that's accessable by the public is linkedin and that's clean.

Lastly delete all of your anti-Trump posts on MMO-C
    Hah! Well even if somehow someone were to figure out my MMO-C username I live in a veeeeeeeeeeeery blue city.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jon234 View Post
    If you are a good project manager they are known to make good money and tying it in to the Pharmaceutical field or even branching out a bit to something Project managing in general companies love good project managers. How ever if something goes wrong on the project the shitstorm always goes to the PM fair warning.
    Oh yeah, I'm well aware. I've been a PM for...what...8 years now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I'm surprised to see this mentioned again; the other recent mention was in the thread by a guy looking for a job.

What industry are you guys, who believe a resume should still fit on one page, working in? Outside of college interns, I can't remember the last time I saw a one page resume. After ~27 years in the tech industry my own resume is currently just a little over 3.5 pages. There's no way I could fit all that experience on to one page.
    I doubt you need to display all of your experience. I sure don't. It doesn't matter that 17 years ago when I started my career that I did two-bit crap for Chicago Public Schools or that my first programming job was converting a DOS-based program into a series of access databases...unless the job I'm applying for calls for it. So keeping it simple tends to let someone going through 50 resumes see immediately if I have experience relevant to the position.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    What is this I don't even...

Are you saying that people who deliver pizza and wash dishes are trash?

Honestly I can't make heads or tails out of whatever you just posted.
    I am saying that you been blunt doesn't help.
    It is discouraging it might be true but it is not what he asked for.

Rest well i'm a bit mad at the whole situation that people who are actually valuable members of society have to be put in the same place as others who are just starting or are worthless lazy ass clowns.

He/she worked for 15years he/she should be able to be a bit picky especially if you go trough the system correct.

Hey folks -- so in a refreshing change from politics where everyone can post here and have a nice dialogue I wanted to pick the collective MMO-C brain on job hunting tips.

My situation: After a 15 year run I'm getting laid off this week. I've known about this for quite some time and am not terribly upset about it as I've been pondering moving on for a while and have a nice severance package to give me a while to find the next opportunity. However I started working here right out of grad school -- thus never really had to do a full on external job search before.

I'm looking for advice, tips, tricks, etc.

Couple of points -- the jobs I'm looking for are upper management type so it's not an entry level role search. I will have access to an outplacement service that has a very good reputation.

Here is what I know so far:
    -Network, network, network. That's generally how jobs are obtained these days. I'm currently in the process of activating my network and setting up lunches over the next few weeks to see what jobs are out there.
    -Tailor resume to roles to try to align the job description to how your resume reads.
    -Linkedin is probably the #1 spot for online job searching -- but hit up company specific boards as sometimes there is a lag before they show up on Linkedin -- and being at the head of the pack gives a huge advantage.

And some quality of life tips:
    -Have a schedule. I'm going to start each morning with a nice breakfast, then hit the gym, then come home and spend a few hours each day job hunting...after taking a week off to just relax of course.

I didn't read most of the other stuff people said, looks a little like fighting.

Anyways, my main advice would be, dont be afraid to apply for things that you dont meet the "recommendations"
    Most companies ask for way more than they need to weed out unwanted people.
    If you're okay with commuting, I'd look for things outside of your area too.

Other than that good luck.... especially if you live in Chicago, its rough out here.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Or Try a head hunter firm, that's how we found our engineers.
    In my last job search a few years back, I went through a head hunter firm. I was very happy with the prospective job offers they found me, and it definitely streamlined who I had to go through. They did all the grunt work and when I was getting calls from companies, it was with the HR higher ups who could make offers/deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    What a wonderful way of thinking.
    Basicly what you just said is you are scum no matter what you have been trough no matter that you study and finished collage and u worked for 15 years .
    You are just as trash as the next person next to you cause you see job is a job till the better one comes a long.

I'm sad for this world.
    Im sad you think the way you do.

You've just labelled every pizza delivery driver and dishwasher as scum.

The best workers will roll their sleeves up and do anything it takes to get a job done.

Your attitude is what causes unrest if it is allowed to breed. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wealthshare View Post
    Im sad you think the way you do.

You've just labelled every pizza delivery driver and dishwasher as scum.

The best workers will roll their sleeves up and do anything it takes to get a job done.

Your attitude is what causes unrest if it is allowed to breed. Shame on you.
    I didn't label any job as scum i labeled people who refuse to work as scum.
    I think you need to learn to read better.