Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yes but people who are assassinated by a mob hitman arent innocent people going about the regular days. They got involved with the mob and refused to pay them, or snitched or something. The mob doesnt just go out and randomly kill lots of people for no reason like terrorists do. You cant avoid terrorism, but you CAN avoid the mob by not getting involved with them. Thats why the fear of terrorism is rational
    You haven't made a single argument that fearing terrorism is "rational". You're just ignoring the point that the actual risk to Americans is vanishingly miniscule. We don't have to rely on emotional reactions like fear, we just have to look at the actual data to see how much of a non-risk it actually is.

It's still tragic, when those events do occur, but it doesn't bear the level of fear. Much like how it would be pointless to refuse to go outside in the rain because you're afraid of lightning. That some people do get hit is not a justification for the irrational fear you're expressing.

Again, at this point, all you're admitting is that the terrorists have beaten you. You being afraid of them is their entire goal. If you're afraid, you lost, they won.

I have more respect for Americans than to think they're all that easy to intimidate.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    You think they would to distract from all the email scandals.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that night club shooting, I'm over it.
    As you should be. 50 deaths or whatever is pretty irrelevant in a country of 300 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    How can anybody be happy with the republicans?
    Oh, you think I'm a republican and that this thread is now about republicans?

Both parties are equally stupid. They constantly show the worst qualities of humanity.
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just proves if Clinton is elected, ISIS can add 4-8 years to their life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    As you should be. 50 deaths or whatever is pretty irrelevant in a country of 300 million.
    no death is ever irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Just proves if Clinton is elected, ISIS can add 4-8 years to their life expectancy.
    Don't worry about them, they are the JV team

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I should have said "tumblr echo chamber". There, you happy? There was zero intelligence in what they were saying. How can anyone outside of tumblr be happy with this party?
    Boy you sure built credibility with your follow up.

People on the left think the RNC was a tumblr echo chamber that had zero intelligence in what they were saying. People on the right will think the same of the DNC. The question is which the people in the middle will find more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Because the RNC said it.

Politifact also wrote: "It’s worth noting that the first night was not intended to have a specific focus on foreign policy"

Sorry for RT, but this is the best video I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPNhzipJha8
    "Hey, I know my party sucks, but what about them republicans!!!!!!"

Is a terrible argument. They're both terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember kids, every time a politician says "radical islamist" a member of Isis finds Jesus!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Like I said; tragic, but not an argument that everyone should be running around, afraid. Same deal if a meth lab exploded and killed a bunch of people; that doesn't mean you should be expecting meth lab explosions around every corner.

You can draw a distinction between having empathy for the tragedy others have suffered, without fearing similar attacks yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Republicans’ claim that Democrats did not mention terrorism or ISIL on the first night of the Democratic National Convention is correct, Politifact said Tuesday morning.

Following Monday night’s speeches, Republicans blasted the Democrats for a lack of focus on terrorism from the 61 speakers.
    Story Continued Below

“Based on our searches of C-SPAN closed-captioning text, Congressional Quarterly transcripts and other video archiving services, we couldn’t find any speaker who mentioned "ISIS," "Islamic" "terror," "terrorist," or "terrorism" during the first day of the convention,” Politifact wrote.

The fact-checking website did add the caveat that the Democrats still have three days to discuss terrorism at the convention and the first day of the convention was not meant to focus on foreign policy. Additionally, Hillary Clinton on Monday called for action against ISIL at a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“We need to lead other countries in stopping ISIS, Al Qaeda, and other radical jihadist groups,” she said. "We shouldn’t leave that to the rest of the world to figure out on their own. That won’t keep us safe."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...vention-226202
    Tempest in tea pot.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Proves", sure. Mathematically and logically perfect proof!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear mongering is not mandatory. Last I checked most terrorist attacks in US have been domestic. Also, there are tons of more important issues affecting Americans.

Fuck the terrorist craze. I am much less worried about ISIS than I am peoples' ability to support families.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You haven't made a single argument that fearing terrorism is "rational". You're just ignoring the point that the actual risk to Americans is vanishingly miniscule. We don't have to rely on emotional reactions like fear, we just have to look at the actual data to see how much of a non-risk it actually is.

It's still tragic, when those events do occur, but it doesn't bear the level of fear. Much like how it would be pointless to refuse to go outside in the rain because you're afraid of lightning. That some people do get hit is not a justification for the irrational fear you're expressing.

Again, at this point, all you're admitting is that the terrorists have beaten you. You being afraid of them is their entire goal. If you're afraid, you lost, they won.

I have more respect for Americans than to think they're all that easy to intimidate.
    Many people dont go out in the rain because of fear of being struck by lightening. Just because you are some super intellectual emlightened being who never experiences fear, doesnt mean that it isnt totally rational for others to express fear. Is it also irrational to get excited when you scratch off 2 $100,000 spots on your instant lottery ticket before you scratch off the last spot because there is a good chance youll lose? People cant control emotions.
    Last edited by Orlong; 2016-07-26 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    "Hey, I know my party sucks, but what about them republicans!!!!!!"

Is a terrible argument. They're both terrible.
    Just like an average poor in the US is the same as an average poor in India, because they are both poor? ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    no death is ever irrelevant.
    In terms of the political spectrum, it can be. There are diseases that kill 10x that amount of people that the government spends 1/1000 of the resources.

Of course it's not irrelevant, but judging by its severity, it can be safely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Boy you sure built credibility with your follow up.

People on the left think the RNC was a tumblr echo chamber that had zero intelligence in what they were saying. People on the right will think the same of the DNC. The question is which the people in the middle will find more appealing.
    Okay? Apparently most people in the US think both candidates are fucking awful. And slightly less than half of democrats realize their party is corrupt. Dunno how anyone can defend anything about either party at this point. It's an absolute joke.

10+ Year Old Account

No. Im admitting that we need to show the bastards why we are the greatest nation on the earth and remove them from it. Not just handwave them away and act like they dont exist, But our current leadership seems to have a problem with doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    The Republicans are a bunch of fearmongering sons of bitches. If they would die from a terrorist attack I would laugh my ass off.
    Honestly, at this stage, I think that's more an issue of people being afraid of talking about it. There's nothing to monger, people are being killed regularly now.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Just like an average poor in the US is the same as an average poor in India, because they are both poor? ^^
    Apples and oranges. You suck at analogies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said; tragic, but not an argument that everyone should be running around, afraid. Same deal if a meth lab exploded and killed a bunch of people; that doesn't mean you should be expecting meth lab explosions around every corner.

You can draw a distinction between having empathy for the tragedy others have suffered, without fearing similar attacks yourself.
    How many terror attacks do we need to have until its ok for us to show fear or take revenge?