Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not sure how much healing through DL is lost from applying SE Dots but you're probably right. I am not specced into math.

However it seems to synergize really well with some artifact traits.

All 3 specs are in a bad spot not just affliction, I don't think we will see more than 1 lock in raid comps. Blizzard intended it this way, death to all locks.
    I played with the talent a bit and the reward should be much greater when you are looking at the skill required to manage it.
    With one target is doable but when you get like adds in the mix(which 90% of encounters have), gl keeping track of your dots on that damn thing which might be out of range too, recast it, lose all your dots..
    GG blizzard, time to reroll.

Deleted
    I like it. Prefer to throw dots around than just casting a filler spell on single target fights. More Dots ftw!

10+ Year Old Account
    You may not life stuff like Soul Effigy, Mana Tap and Soulburn (which does still exist for pvp) but believe me when i say they are very needed to be competitive in arenas and rbgs in this expansion so far. Sure it sucks for raiders, but try to remember the game isn't made for only you (raiders) to enjoy.

Deleted
    One one hand, I really like SE. It gives me shit to multidot on ST fights.

On the other hand, I hate it, because it is basically a mandatory talent, a thing Blizz said they want to remove.

If SE was baseline, I'd prob. be more okay with it.

But then again, I also want the Haunt talent reworked to make it viable hard-cast filler instead of spamming DL.

My main issue with SE is just how non-exciting or interactive it is. Both this and Mana Tap are essentially another "press this for more damage" button, which Blizzard keeps talking about wanting to get away from.

I think with different graphics it would be a lot more welcome. It *feels* bad to dot this thing up as it is now, when in essence multi-dot is what aff is all about. The mechanics of it also allow them to balance aff for ST while keeping its multi-dot within reason. The talent itself is a genius design, I think its just the aesthetics / interaction that make it feel bad.

If it looks like a soul / ghost version of the target you placed it on and really reinforced that you were attacking that target with some kind of animation I think the talent would be better received than it is now just recycling an old animation.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    If it looks like a soul / ghost version of the target you placed it on and really reinforced that you were attacking that target with some kind of animation I think the talent would be better received than it is now just recycling an old animation.
    I dunno. Sure, it seems boring now using it on training dummies or farm content. But once we're back on progression boss pulls again, would you really want something big and distracting that covers up important encounter telegraphs? I'm pretty sure I don't. Yes, Afflic is a whole is visually unimpressive, but I don't think a blinged out Effigy is the right fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    The mechanics of it also allow them to balance aff for ST while keeping its multi-dot within reason. The talent itself is a genius design, I think its just the aesthetics / interaction that make it feel bad.
    Agreed. The core concept of Soul Effigy is fantastic. They just need to fix it so you can't cheese it with AoE on add fights, and they need to change Phantom Singularity so the talent choice isn't a binary one between Effigy and Conduit.

I, for one, love it -- it's exactly what affliction needed imo. Just assign it to focus and make a focus macro for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    I dunno. Sure, it seems boring now using it on training dummies or farm content. But once we're back on progression boss pulls again, would you really want something big and distracting that covers up important encounter telegraphs? I'm pretty sure I don't. Yes, Afflic is a whole is visually unimpressive, but I don't think a blinged out Effigy is the right fix.
    Doesn't need to be massive, could be the size of a player or a bit smaller.

Consider what an effigy is:

effigy
    a representation or image, especially sculptured, as on a monument.
    a crude representation of someone disliked, used for purposes of ridicule.

doesn't say anything about it having to be life size, but it looking like the thing you're attacking is what would make it an effigy. By the standard definition the current soul effigy isn't actually an effigy. And maybe some other brainstorming for some way that the effigy has an animation / interaction with the target to make it more visceral than just dotting up our soulburn animation.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I'm not a fan either. I guess what I was hoping for was something that allowed dot spreading or something that made the dots tick faster, not something else I have to dot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul Effigy is making me want to play literally any other class. Complete shitheap of an idea and the execution of it is even worse.

It would be nice if effigy just copied the dots from the target itself. Just dot up target, drop effigy and it just copies the dots on the target and reapplies them as you reapply them to the SE's target. Make it less of a pain in the ass to cast and keep track of.

The way it works now, its all the work of dotting a secondary target but only worth 35% of the damage. If we gotta keep track of 2 targets, we should get the full damage, not just 35% of it. At least if it copied the target's dots and reapplied them when they are refreshed on the main target, it would make it easier to accept only getting 35% damage return.

Not to mention, the way the SE interacts with trinkets that damage the enemy as well as Grim Sac, you are required to drop it in melee range of the boss, otherwise you're losing out on a lot of extra damage. We're ranged casters, not melee. There shouldn't ever be a case where being in melee is beneficial.
    Last edited by Spunt; 2016-07-26 at 10:27 PM.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    It would be nice if effigy just copied the dots from the target itself. Just dot up target, drop effigy and it just copies the dots on the target and reapplies them as you reapply them to the SE's target. Make it less of a pain in the ass to cast and keep track of.
    Then what would be the point of actually having any effigy even? May as well bring Haunt back and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Then what would be the point of actually having any effigy even? May as well bring Haunt back and be done with it.
    That's essentially what it is now, a more convoluted way to buff dot damage on 1 target. Been playing with it on a beta, and just feels nintuitive unless you use macros with it that use /targetlasttarget.
    Last edited by Spunt; 2016-07-26 at 10:31 PM.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Honestly just need to do what Sun said earlier - Focus and use focus commands - Weak auras can easily be set to track focus debuffs.

Does feel clunky and is a lot more work - but if the numbers reflected the amount of micromanaging evolved it would be fun. Right now people out dps me with 3 keys and here I am monitoring 7 curses, shards, and CD's trying to fit in life drain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I really would welcome that, I actually miss it after having it so many years. It serves the same purpose as a ST dot throttle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I really would welcome that, I actually miss it after having it so many years. It serves the same purpose as a ST dot throttle.
    I'd have liked a WOTLK / Cata Haunt baseline with a SB Haunt resulting in the MOP version.

I really miss the old-old haunt, and while I don't really like the MOP SS spender haunt, I'd take that over unstable affliction being tied to shards.

I like the concept because it could lead to a better skill ceiling, and rewarding you for micromanagement and effort into macros/auras/etc.

Problem is that it's just clunky right now. They tuned it to be just average compared to other specs it seems, and the UI from blizzard offers nothing besides changing your target automatic for it, like really? ...

A single target buff amplifier like cata Haunt it's way simpler, maybe more elegant for some, but with Effigy I'd really like the idea if it would prove to be very rewarding dps wise.

After getting some time on raid bosses in the last couple days, I think the whole Soul Effigy question is going to be moot for most of us non-Mythic Raiders.

Is it a DPS increase on a pure single target fight? Yes, obviously. That's what the talent is for. But outside of that? If it's a cleave or council fight and you're already juggling DoTs on two or three targets at once, do you really want to add another? Especially when you could take Soul Conduit and spam 20% more UAs from all those Soul Shards your multiple Agonies are giving you? Or if it's an add heavy fight, and you've already got the boss focused so you can keep your Agony from falling off and resetting while you deal with those adds, do you really want to add the Effigy to that mix?

It it wasn't for the trick were you AoE an add pack right on top of the Effigy, I'd say it's as niche a talent for pure ST as Sow the Seeds is for heavy AoE. So the two questions I'm asking myself are this. Exactly how much of a DPS increase is using the Effigy like that on those fights? Keeping in mind that it's not Effigy or nothing, but Effigy or Conduit. And what level of execution is going to be needed, by both you and your raid, to pull that off without compromising your performance in other important areas? Because I know where my skill ceiling is, and there's a reason I'm a Heroic raider and not a Mythic raider.

I'll hold off any final decisions till there's more info to work with. But my early feeling is that I'll use Effigy on that one pure ST boss per raid instance and just use Conduit the rest of the time, because I'm juggling enough other things at once that I don't need to add another outside of those few encounters.