Thread: Cinderstorm

Cinderstorm

Ok so I suck with this ability, and AT suggest I use it, maybe I read it wrong cause other stuff says kindling or meteor but in any case, how do I aim this thing so that 1. I hit the boss with it, and 2 so I don't pull entire rooms in dungeons like a hunter using barrage lol.

Think of it as a fire frozen orb. You aim it the same way and it does damage the same way.

Deleted
    You are not crazy. The ability can't be used that well if the hitbox can't accommodate it well, if the mage doesn't have the right positioning or if the mage can't retain that positioning well. I expect the spell will end up being much weaker in real logs in various situations because of those 3 conditions that can't be met.

On the upside, on progression fights that last for more than 20 wipes, people tend to streamline their positioning pretty well so it should be more reliable in those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    how do I aim this thing
    On average the 6 cinders converge at a point 31 yards in front of you. Alternatively, they "converge" right out of your body as they leave. So in most practical situations, either the boss' hitbox is big enough to aim well and ~31 yards away or you're just near/on the boss.

Hitting the boss with it isn't that hard because their hitboxes are pretty big.

Hitting mobs in dungeons requires a bit of practise though but it's pretty fun If you're having trouble with ninjapulling you need to stay further back or aim it sideways / backwards into the mobs :P

I thought I'd hate this talent because it's clumsy but have actually been enjoying playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Hitting the boss with it isn't that hard because their hitboxes are pretty big.

Hitting mobs in dungeons requires a bit of practise though but it's pretty fun If you're having trouble with ninjapulling you need to stay further back or aim it sideways / backwards into the mobs :P

I thought I'd hate this talent because it's clumsy but have actually been enjoying playing with it.
    One trick I've been using on mobs is getting into melee range (Since you're gonna be DB-ing anyway), turn roughly 30 degrees to the left, and cast cinderstorm. I've been having good attempts at hitting all 6 cinders on the mobs this way (assuming they're clumped)

My suggestion is to just practice with it in dungeons. After one or two I felt really confident with it, and I definitely love taking it in M HFC.

To avoid ninja pulling, either do as Nickseng said and stand in melee and face away from other mobs, or get acquainted with its turn pattern and range and it becomes pretty easy to avoid pulling. Hitting bosses just takes practice, but it honestly doesn't take too long. If you're close: Aim slightly to the left, middle-to-long range: aim dead on, and max range: aim slightly to the right.

When I was playing with it on Alpha I didn't like the ability at all, but honestly it's grown on me a lot. It flows nice, is fun to try to aim correctly, and does really good damage. I just hope it's competitive with Kindling in Legion.

Deleted
    Practice with it and you will get used to it.

Or re-spec out of it because it is literally the worst added spell I can ever remember in the history of wow mage with the exception of ROP. Where do they come up with these terrible ideas? Fuck it, bring back ignite stacking and old combustion, this new rotation is trash.

Actually, I've grown to like Cinderstorm. It's awkward to use at first and you WILL ninja pull a few packs, but once you get the hang of it it's not that difficult to aim. Note that you don't have to hit with ALL cinders to make it worth casting, but with some practice in positioning (and a tank that does not include Dance Dance Revolution in their rotation) you can hit quite well. And that's in dungeons, where bosses have small to medium-sized hit boxes. I imagine in raids a huge dragon or the likes will be significantly easier to hit.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Actually, I've grown to like Cinderstorm. It's awkward to use at first and you WILL ninja pull a few packs, but once you get the hang of it it's not that difficult to aim. Note that you don't have to hit with ALL cinders to make it worth casting, but with some practice in positioning (and a tank that does not include Dance Dance Revolution in their rotation) you can hit quite well. And that's in dungeons, where bosses have small to medium-sized hit boxes. I imagine in raids a huge dragon or the likes will be significantly easier to hit.
    I didn' like it initially either, preferring to go with Kindling for faster Combustion cooldown. However, after playing with all three options for several days now, I have come to enjoy it. The short cooldown, coupled with actually learning how to aim it, means that it is now my 4th most damaging spell in mythic dungeons - the top three being Ignite, Pyroblast, and Fireball in order.

Meteor, I've found, has too long a cooldown to really be useful for anything but medium cooldown burst. So far I haven't found any use for it outside PvP, as both Kindling and Cinderstorm out-perform it in raids and mythic dungeons.

Kindling is good for killing bosses. That's about it. Really potent on raids, where it gives you almost double uses of Combustion over the duration of a regular fight. In mythic dungeons, however, it isn't as potent, as you spend comparatively more time fighting thrash mobs.

Cinderstorm sits somewhere in the middle. It is a short cooldown burst that is good for both single target and AoE. Painful to aim at times, and it does come at the cost of a global, however, the added damage is amazing. Especially in mythic dungeons, where it helps clear trash packs so much faster

If you want to practice Cinderstorm do some BGs. Nothing like hitting a moving object 40 yards away

Maybe this image will help?

I'm trying to decide if it should be taken over Kindling for Single Target or keep it for AOE fights only.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOtaku666 View Post
    I'm trying to decide if it should be taken over Kindling for Single Target or keep it for AOE fights only.
    This may vary with various variables, but on pure ST it's quite possible that Kindling is the straight winner.