Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need help picking out a GTX 1070

So right now I have:
    Z170 UD5 Gigabyte MB
    I7 6700k CPU
    16GBs ram
    Corsair CX600 PSU

I got some extra cash coming in and I'm looking at getting a graphics card however there are a ton of different varieties and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'm looking at something in the 425-465 range but would go a little higher based on certain things but as far as I can tell the only thing that changes is the case and the number of fans per different type??

Anyone have suggestions on this?
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

I have the MSI gaming X here, and it runs pretty damn silently and looks great (although everything in my case is red)

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    I have the MSI gaming X here, and it runs pretty damn silently and looks great (although everything in my case is red)
    I have a blue and orange (like portal) theme going on inside my case

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    I have a blue and orange (like portal) theme going on inside my case
    Palit Gamerock then, it has some blue going on.

I would also get a new PSU.... I would not pair such a high end rig with such a mediocre/bad PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Palit Gamerock then, it has some blue going on.

I would also get a new PSU.... I would not pair such a high end rig with such a mediocre/bad PSU.
    Whats wrong with the PSU? Its a 600 watt

Whats wrong with the PSU? Its a 600 watt
    It's bad quality, simple as that. I would go with MSI, but I guess I'm biased in this.

Practically, you can go with ASUS, MSI, Zotac, Palit, Gainward, Gigabyte and EVGA. Stay away from other brands. Also, stay away from heavily factory overclocked cards - they are not worth the price.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-07-27 at 08:24 AM.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-...PSU+gold+rated

Is this fine then? Also are all PSU's one size fits all? My Corsair one gives me about the thickness of a paper between it and my mobo

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-...PSU+gold+rated

Is this fine then? Also are all PSU's one size fits all? My Corsair one gives me about the thickness of a paper between it and my mobo
    https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV.../dp/B0106RDI3W. Go with 750W only if you're planning to do SLI (that PSU in your link is fine then).

Ugh, I wanted to pick up an SSD too. Don't think I can afford all three @_@

Ugh, I wanted to pick up an SSD too. Don't think I can afford all three @_@
    You can sell your Corsair PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You can sell your Corsair PSU.
    Its like 5 years old, who would buy it?

If your psu is working fine, then don't worry about it. You can always upgrade that a bit later, but it isn't like the 1070 is going to push it harder than whatever you have already, since the trend is less power consumption and more performance (like going from a 560ti to a 980ti in my case). You don't need a shit ton of power like some people claim either; 750w is overkill ... the 1070 uses about 150 watts, 300 in sli, a 6700 uses about 180w ... that is 330-480w and overclocking doesn't draw that much extra power and neither does the mobo, drives, or other peripherals. a 550-650w psu is more than enough for 1070 in sli and a 450-550w is plenty for a single card; in fact, that is still overkill.

here is a video to prove I'm not just talking out of my derriere.

SSDs are pretty cheap, if you just want your OS and a couple games then 500 GB is enough (160-185) or go smaller and save more:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH4...ve-mz75e500bam

The Gigabyte G1 gaming is black and orange and fits your price range (430-450):
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/YpH48d/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-g1-gaming-video-card-gv-n1070g1-gaming-8gd

My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    ]
    Again I've had the PSU since shortly before D3 came out (I think 5 years?) should I worry about power failure and damage?

Right now I'm running a GTX560 which I assume is similar in power consumption?

Thank you for the information btw! (God I wish Cali was still tax free via internet..)

- - - Updated - - -

So I checked out corsair

it states:
    MTBF 100,000 hours

so I did some math (100,000) divided by 24 > then that number divided by 365 and thats 11 years of constant play time. Which would mean that my PSU could last me until say Christmas/black friday and I can just pick one up then with this GPU right?
    Last edited by DesMephisto; 2016-07-27 at 09:08 AM.

The GTX 560 and the GTX 1070 I linked are both rated at 150W (GTX 560 power use pulled from gpuboss.com).

You definitely could wait until the holidays to replace your PSU. It isn't a ticking time bomb. It may not be at the quality of the higher end Corsairs, but it also isn't the same as a knock-off waiting to melt in your case and burn your house down state either. I do recommend gold 80 or better, whatever you get, and a reputable brand, do some research ... if you can see it, remember to pick something aesthetically pleasing as well

You might even want to decide if you even want/need a 1070 if you are waiting that long. See how well the 1060s do and if they come out with a 1060ti this generation. Those are usually great bang for buck cards, and by later this year the dust will settle and production will catch up with demand. Realistically you'd be able to get a 1060/1060ti, a 250-500 GB SSD, and a quality PSU for less than $500 if you are on a budget. If you plan to run one card, remember your total system draw might be in the 250-350W range, so that could save you a few bucks alone by buying the appropriate PSU for your current and near future power needs.

Put it another way, two 1080 = 270x2 = 540w + 6950x 10 core 140w (actually most i7s draw same power) = 680, give 10% for overclock and you are at about 750w ... so even an overkill system really doesn't need more than about 850 watts even if it has a ton of drives and peripherals; so a 6700k @ 140 watts and 1070 at 150 watts is under 300 watts combined so even a 500 watt PSU is enough for you to run SLI if it has the power connectors for it, and if you watched the video, you'd see power from the wall at heavy cpu + gpu load doesn't really pull as much as people would like to think.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

The GTX 560 and the GTX 1070 I linked are both rated at 150W (GTX 560 power use pulled from gpuboss.com).

You definitely could wait until the holidays to replace your PSU. It isn't a ticking time bomb. It may not be at the quality of the higher end Corsairs, but it also isn't the same as a knock-off waiting to melt in your case and burn your house down state either. I do recommend gold 80 or better, whatever you get, and a reputable brand, do some research ... if you can see it, remember to pick something aesthetically pleasing as well

You might even want to decide if you even want/need a 1070 if you are waiting that long. See how well the 1060s do and if they come out with a 1060ti this generation. Those are usually great bang for buck cards, and by later this year the dust will settle and production will catch up with demand. Realistically you'd be able to get a 1060/1060ti, a 250-500 GB SSD, and a quality PSU for less than $500 if you are on a budget. If you plan to run one card, remember your total system draw might be in the 250-350W range, so that could save you a few bucks alone by buying the appropriate PSU for your current and near future power needs.

Put it another way, two 1080 = 270x2 = 540w + 6950x 10 core 140w (actually most i7s draw same power) = 680, give 10% for overclock and you are at about 750w ... so even an overkill system really doesn't need more than about 850 watts even if it has a ton of drives and peripherals; so a 6700k @ 140 watts and 1070 at 150 watts is under 300 watts combined so even a 500 watt PSU is enough for you to run SLI if it has the power connectors for it, and if you watched the video, you'd see power from the wall at heavy cpu + gpu load doesn't really pull as much as people would like to think.
    I plan to pick up a 1070 in a couple of days, and then a PSU replacement later on. I think this works out well. I actually run wow on low even with my current set up because I cant stand ANY fps drop or any load screen that takes longer than 1 second (part of why I seriously want an SSD butt...my mobo has some weird ass ports for drives, and its an entire pain to hook up any drive to that shit, so I'm like uggghhh plus my cable management is shit and I have it mostly shoved next to my drive space to get it away from mobo/gpu/etc)

Deleted
    my mobo has some weird ass ports for drives, and its an entire pain to hook up any drive to that shit,
    uh? It has normal SATA ports like all the other motherboards out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    uh? It has normal SATA ports like all the other motherboards out there...
    My old mobo plugged straight into the board, this one plugs on the side. Shit is cramped and I have to basically move the cable back and forth until it slides in since I cant see the slot.

Deleted
    My old mobo plugged straight into the board, this one plugs on the side. Shit is cramped and I have to basically move the cable back and forth until it slides in since I cant see the slot.
    Thats the way it is with 90% of Z mobo's. There is no other way to fit 8-10 sata ports, you have a nice mobo.
    The only gtx1070 that i know off that isn't just black/grey is gigabyte g1 as someone above said.

So for around say 500$ you can get both gpu and an ssd. The psu is not good quality but if it works fine till now then i guess it can work for a little longer till you can get a good one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $509.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 06:15 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Thats the way it is with 90% of Z mobo's. There is no other way to fit 8-10 sata ports, you have a nice mobo.
    The only gtx1070 that i know off that isn't just black/grey is gigabyte g1 as someone above said.

So for around say 500$ you can get both gpu and an ssd. The psu is not good quality but if it works fine till now then i guess it can work for a little longer till you can get a good one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $509.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-28 06:15 EDT-0400
    So is that the recommended SSD? They work just like a normal HDD for installing right?

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up the EVGA FTW edition since it had customizable LED's.

a 6700 uses about 180w ..
    Uh... the 6700K is a 91W part. Maybe.. 120-ish if you overclock the crap out of it.