Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Advances in technology make certain jobs easier and we can reallocate those workers to other areas
    Except that over the past 40 or so years, the practise among the capital-holding people has been to instead kick those workers to the curb and pocket those wages.

Hence the "need to learn how to share".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    It is sad how selfish and naive you are. It scares me to think that our kids (not mine) have been brainwashed to think that being rewarded for success is somehow inherently evil. People used to look up to the wealthy and had a goal of someday becoming wealthy themselves.

So let me ask you a question Mister Entitled-to-more-than-you-are-worth: If I am a trader working at Goldman Sachs and through my skill, proprietary trading algorithms, and hard work, I make my company $100 million in profits in a year. That is more profit than almost anyone else produces, period! If the company chooses to pay me $10 million ($5 million after Federal, NY State, and NY City taxes) what is wrong with that? First my contributions generated profits for shareholders and investors. Second, I contributed $5 million to Federal, State and Local tax coffers. And third, I got to enjoy the fruits of my labor and skill.

What is wrong with that scenario?

Let's say the government decided to tax me at 100% over $1 million in earnings. I could work less hard, generate $10 million in trading profits and only make $1 million and spend the rest of the time on the beach. What is the net outcome? Investors and shareholders make 90% less profit, Federal, State, and Local governments get 90% less. I am still wealthy and have more free time, but am out $4 million dollars.

You falsely assume that people are interchangeable. There might not be a trader as skilled as I am, so the net contribution to society of restricting my income is a huge loss to everyone.

So what is your solution? Should I be a slave and be forced to work 90% harder for you?
    This is a horrible example. The finance sector in the western world is utterly broken. They make up a massive chunk of the economy while contributing almost nothing to society. What does a trader produce? What is his contribution to society? Numbers on a spreadsheet. Maybe we would be better off as a society if that money went to people who were contributing to the greater good of society like scientists or farmers or doctors, rather than people who were doing ultimately nothing.

pffffttttt....i aint sharing anything

their fault for not having rich parents...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    This is a horrible example. The finance sector in the western world is utterly broken. They make up a massive chunk of the economy while contributing almost nothing to society. What does a trader produce? What is his contribution to society? Numbers on a spreadsheet. Maybe we would be better off as a society if that money went to people who were contributing to the greater good of society like scientists or farmers or doctors, rather than people who were doing ultimately nothing.
    Is HOW he made is money really THAT important if he's paying taxes on it? the Goverment doesn't give two shits about your money as long as its legal and they get their cut.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Is HOW he made is money really THAT important if he's paying taxes on it? the Goverment doesn't give two shits about your money as long as its legal and they get their cut.
    1. They receive non-sensically preferential treatment as far as taxes

and

2. They regularly don't even pay those low taxes, as evidenced by things such as the Panama Papers.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    your right, I think stealing is a much more realistic outcome.
    What about Piracy? That's not stealing right? That's copying, which is like sharing but doesn't cost you any money or resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Absolutely, maybe not to the government, but to society at large. The money that a trader makes doesn't just appear out of thin air. Its generated by the collective productivity of people that actually work for a living. If actually contributing to society was more rewarding than leeching off of it, maybe more people would be motivated to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Im not sharing shit.
    You were that kid in kindergarden class who hogged all the Transformers, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You were that kid in kindergarden class who hogged all the Transformers, huh.
    No I used to share all the time, but people took advantage of my kindness so I made a resolution to not share anymore.

Deleted
    People wont have to learn how to share more. That's not how humanity works.

Many people will have to learn to do with less though while others wont notice a difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Until everyone else has such skills and know-how...and then they pay you minimum wage if you're lucky enough to get a job that pays for the water you'll need to survive on.
    If they had such skills and know-how then they wouldn't have minimum wage jobs in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    If they had such skills and know-how then they wouldn't have minimum wage jobs in the first place.
    Or need to have another man share with them.

Post your resume, please. I'm hiring at more than minimum wage.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    It's always fun to see these threads and how people start throwing arbitrary numbers at what is too much. You need to realize that not a lot of people give a shit about you or your situation to help you hence taxes. Now we don't have that many people dying because they can't afford food, hooray!

Now the big question is why do you think that some guy who makes exorbitant amounts of money should help your situation? For them you're literally no one. They're not going to interact with you, not going to rely on you for anything etc. In the end what happens is that some things are worth more than other not necessarily for the amount of work/resources put into them, the skill needed, or anything else. They are worth a huge amount because people are willing to pay a huge amount for it. Saying that a CEO isn't worth more than Xmil a year is going to do nothing. All it means is that people are going to settle at the highest paying job they can where they need to put in the least amount of perceived effort(based on their preferences, capabilities, etc).

Now lets go into minimum wage and what does it actually mean. It means that you pretty much don't have any skills whatsoever and as replaceable as any other thing there are millions of sitting around. Minimum wage shouldn't be there so you can afford a house, car, latest smartphone, etc. It should simply be enough so that you can afford your basic necessities and it pretty much is. You don't need to be able to afford rent in an expensive area with minimum wage; go live with your parents etc. When you have some skills that can be put to good use you can go and get a job and get some amount of money out of it. If the skill you chose is useless i.e. not wanted or there's no need for a lot of people with it then you had better be the best there is to get a chance to use it else you're just a nice replaceable piece that gets to work for minimum wage.

Sure, circumstances aren't equal and that sucks. In the end you're the only one who will improve your circumstances not some CEO. Instead of trying to get free shit given to you from someone who is already contributing through taxes fix the actual problem - people making shit decisions and then thinking they don't need to deal with the consequences because someone is going to act mommy and hold their hand.

TL;DR - Complaining that some people are more successful because of reasons, as valid as they may be, doesn't do jack shit. Get off your ass and work in order to achieve what you want. If you want to a be a CEO and currently can't afford to go to college it's going to be hard but there is such a thing as grants given to the exceptional. There also is working so you can pay your tuition and expenses. It's the same as healing - you don't get it randomly, you actively take it in order to ruin every other healer's day.

Deleted
    Yeah..... no. I ll share things with who I want to share things. I will share things with my gf who I love, with my sister, with my parents, with my friends. I will share with people who contribute to society and I will share with those that want to advance it! If my success can lead another aspirant to succeed then so be it.
    I will not share with randoms who contribute nothing to my life. I will not share with the people who are ruining my university because of their extreme political views (a lot of which are about said "sharing"). I will not share with lazy people who refuse to work. And I will never share with someone who demands it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    TL;DR - Complaining that some people are more successful because of reasons, as valid as they may be, doesn't do jack shit. Get off your ass and work in order to achieve what you want. If you want to a be a CEO and currently can't afford to go to college it's going to be hard but there is such a thing as grants given to the exceptional. There also is working so you can pay your tuition and expenses. It's the same as healing - you don't get it randomly, you actively take it in order to ruin every other healer's day.
    Want to guess how much I pay myself? I have a B.S. in Physics and a J.D.

Then guess how many hours I work.

It's 5:10am here. Also guess when my day started.

Let's play.

I personally gave up caring about main stream success, it sounds rather depressing but as i've gotten older I see the zero sum game we're all playing for what it is, no amount of wealth would make me unrealize this. your born with nothing you leave with nothing however successful you may think you are, is pretty arbitrary in the end.

Although the OP has a point on redistribution, eventually something like that will happen again money seems to flow mostly in one direction, so at some point your gunna have another revolution, simply because there will always be more ppl fighting for scraps than not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Or need to have another man share with them.
    They dont need to have another man share with them. You set a goal in life and move towards it. If you bump into a obstacle start figuring out how to go around it. After you get around it stay on course. Rinse and repeat untill you reach your goal. You may have to do extra work, jump extra hoops, and see other people have it easier. That doesnt matter, you are not other people. You are yourself and relish the fact that if you can overcome obstacles they didnt had to then you have experience and built in hardiness to tackle them again if they show up.

Dont bitch on hardship, let it temper you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Post your resume, please. I'm hiring at more than minimum wage.
    I already earn much more than minimum wage so I'll respectfully decline.

They dont need to have another man share with them. You set a goal in life and move towards it. If you bump into a obstacle start figuring out how to go around it. After you get around it stay on course. Rinse and repeat untill you reach your goal. You may have to do extra work, jump extra hoops, and see other people have it easier. That doesnt matter, you are not other people. You are yourself and relish the fact that if you can overcome obstacles they didnt had to then you have experience and built in hardiness to tackle them again if they show up.

Dont bitch on hardship, let it temper you.

- - - Updated - - -

They dont even pick up garbage in front of their homes, they don't have any goals besides where to find the weed that day. You give them way too much credit.

You haven't heard the opportunities yet. Depending on your skill-set, I might offer $15/hour.

Oh wait, that's barely living wage. C'est la vie.