Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

why do you play it?

When i saw MMO.CHAMPION i said "Should be fun to hang on a forum with other ppl that likes the same i do A.K.A. World of warcraft".
    But there is something weird here, not the mayority, but a LOT of ppl, seems to hate the game, blizzard, and all the decisions.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

I know a game can be the best of your life, and then go to trash and u feel bad about it, but with WoD you at least had 2 years to be dissapointed and quit the game.
    Why you still here complaining about a game that you already dont like (before it launches) comparing it to the older version of it "WoD" (that had already let you down).?

Dont mean to be rude, but im curious.

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    Speaking only for myself: I come down on Blizzard a good bit for many things, and did not in fact play for most of WoD.

Why I'm back for Legion? Mostly, it comes down to dungeons and raids. There are a ton of other MMOs out there, and there are a few that I think do virtually everything better than WoW, but Blizzard has consistently done quality work on dungeons and raids. Not that I haven't had gripes with some of the tiers mind (Fireland and Dragon Soul were both abysmally short, I dislike the split-tier style they used with Highmaul/BRF, etc), but compared to other games I've tried the dungeon and raiding experience of WoW is consistently one of the best.

Beyond that, there are only a few aspects of the game I consider to be inherently better with a larger community. Raiding and dungeons are both on that list, so while WoW's large player base is largely immaterial when it comes to questing, leveling, professions, etc, it makes finding raiding or dungeon groups much easier.

Or to put it another way: There are a lot of things I think Blizzard screws up, but when they get it right, they get it very right, and the hope that they'll do that again is often enough to keep people around, just in case.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2016-07-26 at 08:43 PM. Reason: used != sued

10+ Year Old Account
    If you notice it is not WOW champion or Blizzard Champion, it is MMO, this is where I come to learn all the news about WoW even though its not WoW specific, it just happened that most are WoW players like me, most however are X-WoW players, haters who love to hate, for this we've(they've) created this forum, tends to catch more haters than lovers

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    gambler's fallacy.

Deleted
    Can't say I understand it either OP.

I've been playing since Vanilla launch, I've probably invested way, way more time in this game than the average forum whiner, my only real break (roughly 1 year) was during WoD. I have something stupid like over 12,000 hours in this game.

And yet, I took that break without being a massive drama queen about it. I just let my sub run out, I didn't come to the forums to let everyone know that I'm quitting and what a terrible job Blizz is doing and how the sky is falling.

I went on to play other games (you guys remember those ? Other games ? ) without feeling the need to compare them to WoW all the time and proclaim how much better they are and how Blizzard can suck it.

I didn't feel like some kind of victim of mean ol Blizzard that took all my toys away and destroyed my life. It was just a game I was bored with at the time so I went on to do other things, it felt completely natural and I didn't write a thesis about why I stopped playing.

Now I came back a bit before the prepatch and I'm having fun and am excited for Legion. Will I play Legion 24/7 all the way until the next expansion ? Don't know, probably not. I'll probably quit at some point to make more time for other games, again, without announcing it from the rooftops and spending most of that new free time discussing why I quit.

But I'm probably just a weirdo like that. To the whiners, please do continue your years and years of frothing at the mouth about how you hate this video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, I still voice my complaints because I do want the game to be good again. It is just frustrating that they're going so far with the Legion changes in the wrong direction. The camera distance reduction, every fucking change they've made to Ret, and the ability prune is going much too far this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Right now, there's nothing else particularly compelling for me to play in the genre (which speaks volumes about current MMO's), and the new expansion is just around the corner. How long it holds my interest remains to be seen.

I play it because I enjoy it. I love my class (paladin}, I love the lore behind the game, I love the lore going into Legion. I love a lot of things about the game. Theres obviously some changes that I dislike, as with every game ever, but I like more about the game than I dislike, so I play it. I can go to other MMOs if Im taking a break but they still feel worse than WoW to me.

Deleted
    When i saw MMO.CHAMPION i said "Should be fun to hang on a forum with other ppl that likes the same i do A.K.A. World of warcraft".
    But there is something weird here, not the mayority, but a LOT of ppl, seems to hate the game, blizzard, and all the decisions.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?
    Lot of the people who hate everything that Blizzard does claim they don't even play the game - but still post here, year after year.
    That's not very healthy, but seems many game forums are like that.

I'm not love with everything that Blizzard does, but I like WoW - and I like the fact that it changes (for the better or worse) with every expac.
    I raid - without raids/guild I would have quit long time ago.

But I'm also 11-12 years older now and I realize how little challenging and rewarding content the game offers for casual players - it's getting harder and harder to justify sitting 3x3.5h evenings raiding every week when you have a family and obligations.

So I'll try to keep up with it through T19 - and call it quits afterwards if there's no casual content - and who knows, maybe I'll become one of those bitter vets complaining about how Blizzard ruined my life .

I'm used to it, it's like comfort food. Something I can turn my brain off and play because I'm so acclimated with it. Though, that's also why I'll never pay cash for a sub ever again (unless tokens were to go insanely high).

At any point in it's life, WoW wouldn't even make it in my top 100 games list, even though I've probably sunk thousands of hours into it since 2007 or so. Not that I think it's awful or anything. It's just simple, easy and familiar.

Been raiding with these people for 8 years now.
    WoD was not a good expansion, but its still WoW. The game hasn't suddenly changed so much that I would throw away all this time.

But luckily Legion is breathtakingly good compared.
    Its the second time this has happened now though, so hopefully it doesn't happen again AFTER legion.

The big issue though is when the expansion is bad its hard to keep people motivated on off nights and then the game is less fun overall.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

We don't hate it, we love it and want it to succeed, which is exactly why we criticize and point out the many flaws the game currently has. You on the other my friend are a fanboy, nobody likes fanboys.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

I know a game can be the best of your life, and then go to trash and u feel bad about it, but with WoD you at least had 2 years to be dissapointed and quit the game.
    Why you still here complaining about a game that you already dont like (before it launches) comparing it to the older version of it "WoD" (that had already let you down).?

You don't need to play the game to post here.

Many people form their opinion based on what they read on the front page, not the actual gameplay.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

Just like those who want vanilla back. Only a small portion of the community actually dislikes it. The rest just parrot what others say because of hive mentality.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relnor View Post
    Can't say I understand it either OP.

I've been playing since Vanilla launch, I've probably invested way, way more time in this game than the average forum whiner, my only real break (roughly 1 year) was during WoD. I have something stupid like over 12,000 hours in this game.

And yet, I took that break without being a massive drama queen about it. I just let my sub run out, I didn't come to the forums to let everyone know that I'm quitting and what a terrible job Blizz is doing and how the sky is falling.

I went on to play other games (you guys remember those ? Other games ? ) without feeling the need to compare them to WoW all the time and proclaim how much better they are and how Blizzard can suck it.

I didn't feel like some kind of victim of mean ol Blizzard that took all my toys away and destroyed my life. It was just a game I was bored with at the time so I went on to do other things, it felt completely natural and I didn't write a thesis about why I stopped playing.

Now I came back a bit before the prepatch and I'm having fun and am excited for Legion. Will I play Legion 24/7 all the way until the next expansion ? Don't know, probably not. I'll probably quit at some point to make more time for other games, again, without announcing it from the rooftops and spending most of that new free time discussing why I quit.

But I'm probably just a weirdo like that. To the whiners, please do continue your years and years of frothing at the mouth about how you hate this video game.
    Well said! I'm in almost exactly the same boat; although I didn't play since launch, I started in mid 2005.

I also stopped playing during WoD (although I remained subbed), and it felt perfectly natural to step away from the game and give it a rest. I certainly didn't feel any anger or resentment towards Blizzard, I'd just lost interest in playing at that point.

But now I've logged in and renewed my enthusiasm for Warcraft. I can hardly wait to explore the new content in September!

Deleted

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

Ironically, blindly following a game and pretending everything is perfect when it is not, has a more negative effect than being critical and pointing out where the developers could do better. The devs aren't listening anymore (just look at the legion beta) which leads to more frustration which equals more hating.

Also a lot of greedy decisions recently from Blizzard make for a lot of anger. WoD was a more expensive expansion that was very half assed.
    Last edited by mmoc79cd15b503; 2016-07-27 at 05:58 AM.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

It's MMO champion. Either you come here to complain or you come here to laugh at idiots complaining. Go to Reddit and find the appropriate threads if you want more constructive takes on Blizzard and their games. This place is generally a shitshow of ambiguous statements in regards to the MMO genre or backseat experts rubbing one off with each other.
    Last edited by Schmoyan89; 2016-07-27 at 06:01 AM.

So i ask to them,

Why do you play it?

Putting on my best Morpheus voice: "What if I told you that you can be critical of a game that you enjoy?"

I think a lot of what you might view as hating the game is actuall just people attempting to express themselves about a change and doing it poorly. Or just that tone of voice gets lost in translation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Why do you play it?
    I don't play anymore I haven't really in about a year or so. I only played for 3 months I think when I did last. I am still on these forums because it's a habit I've been here way longer than your average scrub around here. I don't bash Blizzard either though I will comment when I think they do add something stupid like garrisons. I hated Garrisons as soon as they were announced much like i hate the class halls already and never stepped in one. I have no interest in Legion at this point I may change my mind over the next month but I doubt I do. Now, if you ask me what I think of Hearthstone, Overwatch, or Heroes of the Storm I think all of those games suck such a massive cock it's not funny. WoW is the only Blizzard game I could play for more than a week and still play.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    gambler's fallacy.
    Exactly this and a little more.
    Personally I am not playing right now. That is... I recently resubbed due to the transmog from the movie. Coincidentally the new transmog thingy is here and therefor I logged in to do a few old raids that I wanted transmog from. But other then that I am not doing anything. No dungeons no garrison etc etc just the hunt for transmog. Because I am planning to come back for legion and since I paid for the sub due ot the transmog anyway, might aswell make the most of it.

It is like gambles fallacy, but not quite. I care(d) a lot about WoW. Yes due to the investment aswell. But also because the best gametime I ever had was with WoW. And because of that I still check what has become of WoW. Even when I am not actively subbed or playing. And what I see are some good changes but also some very bad changes. Changes that made the game (to me) a shadow of its former self.

The analogy that comes to me is - it is like watching your best friend whom you had such fun with over the years... slowly change to something that you (me) no longer like. You no longer can follow your friends trail of thought and decisions as opposed to before. You want to be friends with this person but well it seems that it becomes harder and harder. Sometimes though this friend will say under the illusion of a promise that he will shape up, but never does. Yet you long for those earlier years of friendship where you had a blast. You do try and talk some "sense" into your friend when he is going to make bad decision or offer help to get him to change his mind, but it falls on deaf ears.

People like me need to stop caring I guess. Or do we?
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2016-07-27 at 10:30 AM.