Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    A problem crated by women, for women. It aint mens' magazines that are plastered with "find out how <celebrity Z> lost her baby fat PLUS 10 tips for a perfect bikini body PLUS Kim Kardashian's ass". That said, I don't think it's healthy to tell women they can be disgustingly obese and they're still healthy and attractive either. That's just a deception that will lead to unhappiness anyway when they realise nobody wants to date them and oh, they have diabetes now. The makeup shit - whatever. Aren't they always saying they wear makeup for themselves because they enjoy it anyway? Doubt that if secretly like 80% of them are insecure.

It's totally acceptable and advantageous to society to maintain a standard that, ideally, everyone should be roughly in proportion for their height and practice good hygeine. If you don't want to adhere to that, that's fine. Just don't get pissed and stroppy when nobody wants to fuck you.

Oh, and I've also seen lots of evidence to suggest that women's expectations of men are much higher than men's expectations of women. Yet women are the ones with the image issues. Maybe they're just too judgmental and hyper critical in general.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-07-27 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    There really is no point to this. You don't want to wear make up, shave, do all that 'girly' shit? Then don't. But don't get pissed off when guys won't talk to you. You can change all you want. Don't try to make the rest of us change for you. If you DO want to make yourself look good, do it for YOU, not because society wants you to. People finding you attractive is just a bonus to finding yourself attractive.

Now, being a patriarchal white male apparently, I am getting overweight. I look repulsive. But I do not give a single growing fuck if anyone else finds me either attractive or repulsive. I want to look good for ME. Everyone should think like that. You make yourself look good because it makes you FEEL good. Self-confidence is something largely lacking in society today. Instead we just roll bullshit like what this thread is going on about, attacking things for no reason. People that feel bad about themselves lashing out at anything they can to make themselves feel better. It's stupid and childish.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If we don't pressure them to look better they become obese.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Why not? What's gonna happen when you're old and single?
    You can be in a relationship without kids, If you can't see yourself being with a significant other without kids holding you two together, you probably don't love them very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This thread has to do with beauty topics not being healthy.
    Being healthy is part of beauty.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'll admit that I'm very self conscious. However, my physique is definitely among the least acceptable looks to men (and women, to a certain extent). What would be important to me is seeing more leads/heroines in film/tv/fiction, that have different body types. Brienne of Tarth is one of the most exciting characters to me, because she's somewhat of an action hero, and she's not the traditional body type (even though she's literally 15 inches taller than me), and she's not even a lead character.
    Isn't that actress a model?

Though I'll admit I don't think she looks any good, so I have no idea why she's a model... but then I think a ton of models fail to look any good.

You're right that there aren't very many genuinely strong-looking women on the big screen, though. Seen a lot of conversations about that concerning the latest Wonder Women movie, actually. Some people think Gal look flimsy and unimpressive and that a more genuinely strong-looking woman should play the role, while others say that it doesn't matter because her strength is magic anyway. Personally, I'm in the former camp, and wish that female action heroes didn't all look like a gentle breeze could knock them out of comission.

But I guess the reason that's so rare is because you're right about genuinely strong looking women being unpopular among men. Most guys seem to prefer even fat women to 'too-strong' women.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2016-07-27 at 08:52 AM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    But I guess the reason that's so rare is because you're right about genuinely strong looking women being unpopular among men. Most guys seem to prefer even fat women to 'too-strong' women.
    Can I just clarify, do you mean "too strong" as in body builder types?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Can I just clarify, do you mean "too strong" as in body builder types?
    I'm thinking more the kind of women who have e.g. arms and shoulders that wouldn't look out of place on a kind of fit man; the kind of women you never (?) see in movies, but you see all over the place in sports. Like this woman, for example (who I just saw on TV):

Not the kind of women who look like male body builders.

Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    I could find them. It's not easy though because people like you exist (man haters).
    Oh please, get a grip. Find the studies then or make/fund one if you're genuinely interested: we'll listen. Or, go down the easy route of blaming women because they're fighting something that's affecting them in a very bad way. How is it our fault if people like you prefer hating on women rather than explaining your issues? It's not always a competition, for god's sake.

I'm thinking more the kind of women who have e.g. arms and shoulders that wouldn't look out of place on a kind of fit man; the kind of women you never (?) see in movies, but you see all over the place in sports. Like this woman, for example (who I just saw on TV):

Not the kind of women who look like male body builders.
    True, you don't see that often in movies, but I don't know of men on general (do we have any evidence of this?) don't find this attractive, I certainly do. This is way different from body builders, which, no, I don't find attractive, they look like men.

True, you don't see that often in movies, but I don't know of men on general (do we have any evidence of this?) don't find this attractive, I certainly do. This is way different from body builders, which, no, I don't find attractive, they look like men.
    Well, my "info" is anecdotal, from conversation and listening to people talk in media and such. Personally, I find that woman, though not the ideal appearance I would choose if I had that option (which I suppose would be a reason to cast a smaller woman in the role of a strong woman, if people - even if they still like the bigger women - prefer the smaller women, and we all know attractiveness is more important ot hollywood than things like authenticity), still very attractive, but you rarely see anyone talking about women who look like that when they're talking about attractive women. A lot of the time they're derided for looking like men.

Well, my "info" is anecdotal, from conversation and listening to people talk in media and such. Personally, I find that woman, though not the ideal appearance I would choose if I had that option (which I suppose would be a reason to cast a smaller woman in the role of a strong woman, if people - even if they still like the bigger women - prefer the smaller women, and we all know attractiveness is more important ot hollywood than things like authenticity), still very attractive, but you rarely see anyone talking about women who look like that when they're talking about attractive women. A lot of the time they're derided for looking like men.
    I find that sad. I think it looks hot when a woman clearly works out, has decent delt development etc. When they rock 20 inch arms and a severe case of man face, then nah. I think you are probably right however, Hollywood is more concerned with attractiveness and having a bit of muscle isn't considered attractive on the widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    Oh please, get a grip. Find the studies then or make/fund one if you're genuinely interested: we'll listen. Or, go down the easy route of blaming women because they're fighting something that's affecting them in a very bad way. How is it our fault if people like you prefer hating on women rather than explaining your issues? It's not always a competition, for god's sake.
    There are many scholary articles related to male body image as seen from this link. This link features more recent articles surrounding the media and body image.

Here is an article from 2012 which looks at male and female body image concern based on a university study.

Both men and women have issues relating to body image and how it is portrayed in the media. So it isn't correct to say the men or women have it worse, there are high expectations portrayed by the media and advertisement on both sexes and it negatively affects them both. Of course the degree to which it effects someone is different, using myself as an example the media has very little influence on my body image, I just get on with my own thing. Whereas I know people who have been heavily influenced by the media.
    Last edited by Kyuuseishu; 2016-07-27 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
    There are many scholary articles related to male body image as seen from this link. Think link features more recent articles surrounding the media and body image.

Here is an article from 2012 which looks at male and female body image concern based on a university study.

Both men and women have issues relating to body image and how it is portrayed in the media. So it isn't correct to say the men or women have it worse, there are high expectations portrayed by the media and advertisement on both sexes.
    No no no. This is a women's issue, they are the victim and men are the oppressors. It is misogyny to suggest otherwise. You need to be re educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
    There are many scholary articles related to male body image as seen from this link. This link features more recent articles surrounding the media and body image.

Both men and women have issues relating to body image and how it is portrayed in the media. So it isn't correct to say the men or women have it worse, there are high expectations portrayed by the media and advertisement on both sexes and it negatively affects them both. Of course the degree to which it effects someone is different, using myself as an example the media has very little influence on my body image, I just get on with my own thing. Whereas I know people who have been heavily influenced by the media.
    I agree both men and women have it equally bad, I'd even go as far as saying men probably have it slightly worse because, indeed, few people are talking about them; it's sort of under the radar yet, especially in the eyes of the general public. What annoyed me was the person I replied to implied women don't give a shit about men's body appearance issues because we're all men-haters while, quite simply, the article did just not touch on the subject. Do I think there should be more awareness concerning men? Yes. Do I think all the article not talking about men too should be dismissed as men-hater feminist propaganda? Hell no.

Also, thanks for the links =)

- - - Updated - - -

No no no. This is a women's issue, they are the victim and men are the oppressors. It is misogyny to suggest otherwise. You need to be re educated.
    That's BS. Why does it need to be a competition? I get the sarcasm but it seems to me that on MMO there are just as many men-hater feminists as there are misogynist men. Both groups disgust me because instead of unite to fight together what's wrong in our society and to get to a point where everyone, regardless of gender, has the same chances (yes I know, naïf of me) they're busy competing on who has it worse for the sake of some weird popularity contest. It's truly sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    That's the problem for me. It's not that there are skinny girls with photoshopped in curves. It's that there's nothing BUT that. It put me to the point of being uncomfortable working out in a normal gym as a professional athlete. I was pretty much as fit as I could possibly be at some points, but I found myself unfavorably comparing myself to the skinny chicks serenely lifting the 2 lbs dumbbells in cute spats while I sweat and grimace with cleans and feel like some monster.

There's like dozens and dozens of ways to be the 'hero' or the cool guy as a guy. You can have muscles upon muscles like Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger. You can be lean and cut like Brad Pitt or Matthew McCaunaughey. You can even be super skinny like Jesse Eisenberg or Adrian Brody, or heavyset like Vince Vaughn or heavy Chris Pratt.

On the other hand, there's pretty much one way to be ideal or awesome as a girl. You have to be kind of fit, but not show any real muscle definition, and have some boobs, but not so much that it's threatening or scary, and you have to be medium-tallish, with long legs, but nowhere near actually tall. Anything else is unacceptable. I'd be fine with the latter if there were 'leading women' with other body types (even super fit other body types) alongside them.
    There are plenty of exceptions, but they are a lot rarer than they are for men. Every time someone outside the mold gets air time, she generates a lot of buzz and a slavish following (admittedly, mostly among men). Let's be honest, though - Chris Pratt didn't get leading man status until he forsook Andy's physique in search of He-Man. He might've been able to land a lead role in a comedy with the old look, but so can Jack Black and Melissa McCarthy. So could Rosy O'Donnel in her day.

I get it, though - white women will accept a wider variety of men into their Cool Club than they will women. I don't know what to do about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. 6 Pages on a gender thread. Interesting.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2423809/fait...ize-superhero/

Then you get these kind of extremes- the plus size (obese, clearly unhealthy weight) super heroine, who has a cut boyfriend (surprise surprise).

I'm on this site for so long, I can read a Threads name and know it's a tennis Thread. Time for a break.