Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Uh... I'm sure someone else will hop in but Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.
    Oh boy here we go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    If you ignored the beatings, rapes, seeing family members sold off, being sacrificed to the gods anytime things got strange, then yea it was very charitable.
    In some ancient cultures, that was not the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    "some ancient cultures" Name them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    They were a small, small, small minority.
    Yes, a small, small, small minority... some members of which owned thousands of slaves.

Well to be fair I'm sure it wasn't that bad for the slave owners.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

*snipped*

Infracted - Spam
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-07-27 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, for those who missed it, Michelle Obama gave her speech at the DNC and one key part was talking about how the White House was built with slaves, but now there is a black president and her black daughters play on the White House lawn.

It was a great speech and shows how far we've come as a nation, so why not find a way to complain about?

In comes Bill O'Reilly...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...eech/87604632/

Remember kids, slavery is only bad if you don't feed or shelter them.

/eyeroll
    Where did he say slavery wasn't that bad? He pointed out it wasn't all built by slaves, and that they weren't miss treated (other than being a slave).
    Last edited by zenkai; 2016-07-27 at 05:51 PM. Reason: For clarity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Yes, a small, small, small minority... some members of which owned thousands of slaves.
    So you're telling me that not just one, but several blacks owned thousands of slaves each?

Even though the most prolific slave owner in the history of the country owned 1092 slaves at the height of his wealth, more than anyone else in the country during his lifetime...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Where did he say slavery wasn't that bad? He pointed out it wasn't all built by slaves, and that they weren't miss treated.
    "Slaves weren't mistreated"

I have no words for the insanity of that. I...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You know, some of the old ones, the ones with the agriculture and the pottery and no airplanes.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the part where he said it wasn't that bad because they certainly were mistreated the moment they were made slaves to say nothing of further insults and he's trying to distract from them by pointing out other people helped too.
    I think it's just a factual thing to correct saying it was more than just slaves who built the white house.

- - - Updated - - -

"Slaves weren't mistreated"

I have no words for the insanity of that. I...wow.
    Being a slave is being miss treated and is a terrible thing that happened in American history but we all know people are picturing a guy on a horse bull whipping black workers when they think of slavery, because you know people get their History from TV shows these days. I expect a generation will learn about the Heart of the Ocean lost in the Titanic

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Oh boy here we go.
    Well, considering Lincoln was a massive racist I don't see what the controversy is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    "some ancient cultures" Name them.
    I'll start with the Roman Empire. To understand slavery in these cultures, people today must divorce themselves from their preconceived notions of it. Those notions stem from the racial slavery of the pre–Civil War American South, which bears only some resemblance to slavery in the early Roman Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I was picturing people being forced to work for no pay while they had no rights. Weird that you went to a stereotype...
    How is it weird to expect people to think that way? You obviously haven't read enough shit on the internet to think people don't see it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, for those who missed it, Michelle Obama gave her speech at the DNC and one key part was talking about how the White House was built with slaves, but now there is a black president and her black daughters play on the White House lawn.

It was a great speech and shows how far we've come as a nation, so why not find a way to complain about?

In comes Bill O'Reilly...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...eech/87604632/

Remember kids, slavery is only bad if you don't feed or shelter them.

/eyeroll
    O'Reilly is very oblivious on that aspect of color.

btw..

That was intended to be the President's residency, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 1790s.
    To my knowledge,
    neither Washington nor his successor wanted to occupy it, claiming it was too pompous.
    Truth likely is, that they just did not want to be in that neck of the woods, because their staff of slaves would have likely been helped and freed.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2016-07-27 at 05:34 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

What if I told you that everyone is racist, but some people are able to suppress their behavior/actions better than others. Even the "least racist person" and who others see as a hero for equality has emotions/inclinations toward distrust/envy etc. Black Lives Matter use their aggression from low opportunities and bad neighborhoods on the white people who they perceive as the problem. However, by blaming white people for slavery 150 years ago or blaming white people for you not going to school or volunteering in your neighborhood, or blaming white people for gang violence, etc is racist in itself. They are judging someone by the color of their skin and directing hate and guilt toward them for things they have no control over. Its not my fault the neighborhood you grew up in was bad. Unfortunately this cycle will repeat until there is less poverty, less single mothers, and more programs to help black youth/teens who need help. Although Blacks seem to hate Trump, he is the one who pointed to the real problem which was the inner cities and the poor infrastructure and lack of good education and programs.

btw.. about Bill O reilly... Did you really have to flame the race war like this? Great job making white people look like they think "slavery wasn't that bad". Now Blacks will be like "See that is what whites think. They don't care about us and belittle the pain our ancestors went through etc..".. Seriously great job Bill...
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2016-07-27 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    What if I told you that everyone is racist,
    Then I'd agree with you.
    Since we're bigots by nature.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Never said there wasn't.

But when you're an old white conservative, especially one named Bill O'Reilly, you're already fighting an image of being an old racist prick (whether a valid criticism or not) so maybe such topics should be avoided.
    Asian women should probably just not drive, am I right?

There were certainly some forms of historical slavery that were "not that bad." Plenty of Muslim sultans employed nominally slave soldiers and bureaucrats that in practice formed the ruling class in their societies. But American slavery wasn't quite like that, and was arguably the worst possible form of the institution ever witnessed in history.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    In some cases, yes, slaves were treated very well. For some, it was closer to indentured servitude and they even earned wages, especially if they had a trade or useful skill beyond normal manual labor, and could purchase their freedom.

For others though, they were tortured, raped, over-worked, sold like cattle, separated from their families, and beaten or killed like dogs.

So yes, a portion of what happened with slavery wasn't horrifying, but the rest of it was.

It's not like we aren't slaves right now anyways