Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bill O'Reilly is a retard.. lets move on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Slavery was outlawed 150 years ago. It's time to move on or this country will be torn apart.
    Yes slavery was outlawed. However racist laws and "legal" disenfranchisement existed until less than 50 years ago. It takes time to recover from stuff like that. You can't just say "whoops" and expect everything to suddenly be perfect.

Stuff happened before you were born, and stuff that's happening now will affect things that happen after you die. You need to deal with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    "So, Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House, but there were others working as well."

Seriously, that's what bugs me about this story, why did he even need to say anything? She never claimed that 100% of the labor building the White House was slaves. It's clear that she was stating how far we've come as a nation where people were deemed as nothing more than property based on the color of their skin, now anyone (regardless of skin color) can become the President.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Slavery was outlawed 150 years ago. It's time to move on or this country will be torn apart.
    The problem is it hasnt moved on. Generational racism is a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    You need to deal with that.
    No, no, no.. move on..

This just in - O'Reilly tries to pick holes in anything remotely related to democrats. More on these unexpected new developments at 11.

We now go to Asian reporter Tricia Takanawa outside the Quahog Park Barrington.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, for those who missed it, Michelle Obama gave her speech at the DNC and one key part was talking about how the White House was built with slaves, but now there is a black president and her black daughters play on the White House lawn.

It was a great speech and shows how far we've come as a nation, so why not find a way to complain about?

In comes Bill O'Reilly...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...eech/87604632/

Remember kids, slavery is only bad if you don't feed or shelter them.

/eyeroll
    Havn't seen the speech so cant put it in proper context. But how she relates to it is also a matter of tribalism that continues racism. Before black slaves, europe used white slaves during roman times and the great things that was built with them.

But if it was in the context of look at how far we have gotten than i get it. Although i wouldn't be suprised that more voted on obama because he's black and those refused to vote on him because he's black. I wouldn't be surpsised if black lives matter caused more not to vote for a president candidate because he's black.

As to what Riley said, well if i'm not mistaken the Dutch Sinter klaas got famous part because of how well he treated his black slaves. It's kind of like how you'd look at an orphanage that was not for personal gain back in the day. And Santa claus was based on Sinter Klaas if i'm not mistaken, just made more magical and 'zwarte pieten'are replaced with small people :P.

Mind you, this is the same guy who tried to say that Christianity wasn't a religion, so the government could give it preferential treatment. He's catering to his racist and ignorant viewers.

Thanks Obama. /10chr

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    also slavery was better for the blacks then what they have today in some aspects.....*NOTE I AM NOT SAYING SLAVERY WAS GOOD*

people love to go on about how families were torn apart as slaves...... but black children today are less likely to grow up with 2 parents today then as slaves....... soo yeah..... very bad
    I'm pretty sure if you give anyone the choice between freedom or two parents...they'd take freedom every time.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    This is how you do it: You leave your own country / continent. Seize a new continent like locust and murder all the natives. Then you force black people against their will into your country and enslave them. At the same time have Chinese immigrants build a railroad for you and also treat them like shit. Then get Mexicans in for cheap labour. And in the end complain about fucking immigrants and how they all should be shot (including their families) for anything criminal they are accused of.

Hey..what's the problem? It was four hundred years ago we did that to the natives and slavery ended a hundred years ago. So we can pick and chose today.
    You forgot the Irish, railroad builders, immigrants, and slaves. We're the box tickers of historic things.. and that's ignoring Cromwel's lil slaughter of Irish people.
    Last edited by Felnoire; 2016-07-27 at 06:59 PM.

"Slaves weren't mistreated"

I have no words for the insanity of that. I...wow.
    I've got one image for that.

Ah, cozy.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-07-27 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PpV0evc.png[/]

Seriously, that's what bugs me about this story, why did he even need to say anything? She never claimed that 100% of the labor building the White House was slaves. It's clear that she was stating how far we've come as a nation where people were deemed as nothing more than property based on the color of their skin, now anyone (regardless of skin color) can become the President.

Paid workers built the white house. I am correct right? I never said slaves didn't help.

But I do agree with her point about how far America has come, wish Obama had been more like her when it came to race relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Never said there wasn't.

But when you're an old white conservative, especially one named Bill O'Reilly, you're already fighting an image of being an old racist prick (whether a valid criticism or not) so maybe such topics should be avoided.
    Bill O'Reilly isn't a conservative, I'm not a conservative but I work with a guy who drinks from the Kool-Aid bowl of Rush every day and he says Bill O'Reilly is the Ted Baxter of the Conservative Party. He doesn't live by the Conservative creed and only has a show on Fox because elderly people love watching his show. Bill will flip on the Conservatives in a second if he thought doings so would make him more popular and get more viewers. Bill would kill his granny and eat her in a second if he hadn't already done that for the deal with the Devil to get the show in the first place, and by the Devil I mean Roger Ailes.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-27 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Paid workers built the white house. I am correct right? I never said slaves didn't help.

But I do agree with her point about how far America has come, wish Obama had been more like her when it came to race relations.
    So it is just as accurate to say that slaves built the White House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of Things!

Lincoln? He was a moderate Republican who spent a lot of time calling out all the extremists. He was the one who used the U.S. Army to protect escaped slaves, and pushed the Congress at the time to ratify the 13th Amendment, which permanently outlawed slavery. At the same time, The President of the Confederate states at the same time in all of this, was a dixie-Democrat.. Pro-slavery, Pro-Military south.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we need to talk about the democrats.. not the republicans. OH I KNOW, ALL YOU LOBSTER BIB LIBERALS are get gonna get so triggered by these facts it might actually make you swallow your own tongue. It can be hard, but I beg you... allow your brain to absorb some REAL knowledge.

The KKK was created by Democrat citizens and members, NOT republicans. While true, there were republican members ( and, in fact, some African-Americans were on the side of Klan).. it was primarily a democrat endeavor. The KKK at the time, and through out American history has been the most violent racists whom have held residence in the US. Lynchings, Church burnings, matricide, Rape, Kidnapping. Perpetuated by a KKK which was at one pointed considered the "Tip of the Spear" for a "Militarist arm of the Democrat Party". Multiple Democrat Presidents, and MMAANNYY Democrat members of congress (both houses) were either card carrying members, or simply supporters.

It was the Democrats who opposed, and voted against the Civil Rights act of 1965, and the backlash of that was sooo bad that some democrats, for the sole-sake of getting re-elected, switched parties so they wouldn't be associated with their party crimes.

And let us not forget that the great Democrat War President, Franklin Roosevelt Banned Japanese and German immigrants during and a short time after WWII, Democrat Jimmy Carter banned Iranian immigrants.... BUT IT IS REPUBLICANS who are the racist bigots? Right? I mean, it's not like we should be in the practice of denying immigrant status to section of population that either we are war with, or has deep ties to an ideology we are at war with (and I am speaking about ISIS, Syrian military members, and Sharia statists)
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post

Party lines have changed a lot in the last 130 years.
    The people have changed the Parties are relatively the same.

Blacks became Democrats because of the New Deal and the 1964 Civil Rights Act which passed with 94% Republican support but was hijack by LBJ. LBJ wanted to erase the racist history of the Democrat party by supporting the Act then waging a PR campaign with his support as its focus. But it was nothing more of a scam "Ill have them niggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years" - LBJ the plantations never disappeared they just changed names and crops. Instead plantations it was ghettos and instead of cotton it was votes.

Southern Whites changed as well. The violence was not aimed only at blacks many southern whites where staunch Christians and hated slavery especially Catholics. The Klan targeted them for lynchings and murders in order to silence them. The first sitting US congressmen to be assassinated was a Republican killed by the Klan in the south because he was a proponent for equal rights. Over 1,297 whites were lynched from 1882 -1968 roughly 28% of all recorded lynchings. By the time the 60s came along the clan was in decline and the power of the racist Democrats was crumbling. The people were tired of it the South had never recovered economically and Democrats were the only party to blame. Then Reagan came he promised prosperity and unity after the dismal Carter years he won in a landslide then things got better. The 80s were a vast improvement on the 70s and 60s and thats all it took to hook the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So it is just as accurate to say that slaves built the White House.
    Yes, although I would have said

Slaves HELPED build the White House. But that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Roundell View Post
    Havn't seen the speech so cant put it in proper context.
    Here's the relevant section:
    "You see, Hillary understands that the president is about one thing and one thing only, it’s about leaving something better for our kids. That’s how we’ve always moved this country forward, by all of us coming together on behalf of our children, folks who volunteer to coach that team, to teach that Sunday school class, because they know it takes a village. Heroes of every color and creed who wear the uniform and risk their lives to keep passing down those blessings of liberty, police officers and the protesters in Dallas who all desperately want to keep our children safe. People who lined up in Orlando to donate blood because it could have been their son, their daughter in that club. Leaders like Tim Kaine, who show our kids what decency and devotion look like. Leaders like Hillary Clinton who has the guts and the grace to keep coming back and putting those cracks in that highest and hardest glass ceiling until she finally breaks through, lifting all of us along with her. That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn. And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States."

And here's Bill O'Reilly's response:
    "Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor. So, Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House, but there were others working as well."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Couple of Things!

Lincoln? He was a moderate Republican who spent a lot of time calling out all the extremists. He was the one who used the U.S. Army to protect escaped slaves, and pushed the Congress at the time to ratify the 13th Amendment, which permanently outlawed slavery. At the same time, The President of the Confederate states at the same time in all of this, was a dixie-Democrat.. Pro-slavery, Pro-Military south.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we need to talk about the democrats.. not the republicans. OH I KNOW, ALL YOU LOBSTER BIB LIBERALS are get gonna get so triggered by these facts it might actually make you swallow your own tongue. It can be hard, but I beg you... allow your brain to absorb some REAL knowledge.

The KKK was created by Democrat citizens and members, NOT republicans. While true, there were republican members ( and, in fact, some African-Americans were on the side of Klan).. it was primarily a democrat endeavor. The KKK at the time, and through out American history has been the most violent racists whom have held residence in the US. Lynchings, Church burnings, matricide, Rape, Kidnapping. Perpetuated by a KKK which was at one pointed considered the "Tip of the Spear" for a "Militarist arm of the Democrat Party". Multiple Democrat Presidents, and MMAANNYY Democrat members of congress (both houses) were either card carrying members, or simply supporters.

It was the Democrats who opposed, and voted against the Civil Rights act of 1965, and the backlash of that was sooo bad that some democrats, for the sole-sake of getting re-elected, switched parties so they wouldn't be associated with their party crimes.

And let us not forget that the great Democrat War President, Franklin Roosevelt Banned Japanese and German immigrants during and a short time after WWII, Democrat Jimmy Carter banned Iranian immigrants.... BUT IT IS REPUBLICANS who are the racist bigots? Right? I mean, it's not like we should be in the practice of denying immigrant status to section of population that either we are war with, or has deep ties to an ideology we are at war with (and I am speaking about ISIS, Syrian military members, and Sharia statists)
    And then the southern strategy happened, and here we are.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post

Yes, there were non-slave workers who were paid for the construction of the White House. Nobody is denying it. Michelle Obama didn't say there wasn't.

The issue here is there was no need for Bill to even go into it. There WERE slaves used to build the White House. There is now a black family living in the White House, that is the point.

He was fine stating that there was a combination of workforce consisting of contractors and slaves in the construction, but he added the part where, "hey, they might have been slaves, but they were fed and had shelter, so it wasn't that bad".

Slavery, regardless of treatment, is BAD. You can give someone the best care and food, but if you view them as nothing more then PROPERTY, it's bad.