Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FPS drop after pre-patch

As the title says, I went from 95ish FPS to 50-60 FPS once the pre-patch hit AND I cranked up the settings. I was running windowed(fullscreen) on Ultra with MSAA 4x AA. When I launched the game into 7.0, I bumped the new settings up to MAX and switched the AA to MSAA 4x like I had it before.

I feel like my rig should be able to handle it. Is anyone else having this issue? Am I expecting too much? Is there something I should change that won't impact my experience?

relevant specs:
    i56600k oc'd 4.4ghz
    16gb ddr4 ram
    sapphire nitro radeon r9 390x 8G
    Crucial 500gb SSD

So you did not expect an FPS drop after increasing graphics to 3 levels higher than before? lol

Max settings now are much higher than they were before.

Your rig is not suited for WoW Max setting.

Go for i7 or one of the latest nVidia/Radeon V-cards. 1070 prices will decline late autumn or so, so start saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruujik View Post
    Your rig is not suited for WoW Max setting.

Go for i7 or one of the latest nVidia/Radeon V-cards. 1070 prices will decline late autumn or so, so start saving up.
    An i7 is not going to make any difference. WoW stresses only 1 core. Hyperthreading would do more harm than good in regards to wow.

I' running a GTX 970 and go from 144 fps down to 75, sometimes 55, when sitting in front of certain things like Torches in my garrisons. Cranking down Sunshafts, SSAO and Particle density seems to have the biggest effect on not getting that drop. I'd suggest tweaking those and seeing how much it does or doesn't help.

I was running SSC on my druid and apparently the new swipe seems to cause massive drops as well. Didn't see it on other toons, like Warrior, so there might be some optimization tweaks needed.

Else buy a pair of 480s or maybe a 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I' running a GTX 970 and go from 144 fps down to 75, sometimes 55, when sitting in front of certain things like Torches in my garrisons. Cranking down Sunshafts, SSAO and Particle density seems to have the biggest effect on not getting that drop. I'd suggest tweaking those and seeing how much it does or doesn't help.

I was running SSC on my druid and apparently the new swipe seems to cause massive drops as well. Didn't see it on other toons, like Warrior, so there might be some optimization tweaks needed.

Else buy a pair of 480s or maybe a 1080.
    The GPU has almost no effect on these drops, I get 45-50 FPS in the garrison and some areas with a 1080 on FHD

Mine dropped, but that's cause my computer is old ; _ ;
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

are you sure it isnt addon related? MY fps went UP after the patch on my 6 year pc (once i disabled/updated all addons)

Feel free to correct me if I'm off, but consensus seems to be that the max settings are designed for current gen or even future hardware and that I should back my settings down a touch.

Thanks for the input people!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    As the title says, I went from 95ish FPS to 50-60 FPS once the pre-patch hit AND I cranked up the settings. I was running windowed(fullscreen) on Ultra with MSAA 4x AA. When I launched the game into 7.0, I bumped the new settings up to MAX and switched the AA to MSAA 4x like I had it before.

I feel like my rig should be able to handle it. Is anyone else having this issue? Am I expecting too much? Is there something I should change that won't impact my experience?

relevant specs:
    i56600k oc'd 4.4ghz
    16gb ddr4 ram
    sapphire nitro radeon r9 390x 8G
    Crucial 500gb SSD
    You're running windows 10, full updates, and your AV/system is clean correct? - If you decide to test this route, make sure you backup your shit like 2x at least on external hard drives before going HAM.

I'm running a system MUUUCH crappier, again not comparing to full max AA, etc, but even though the draw distance is on Enhanced mode now on LIVE, you should of actually seen an increase in FPS IMO.

Just make sure the basics are taken care of, all updates, av checks out (no spyware or shit like that), try it without any add ons, hell maybe even a fresh install of windows 10, fresh install wow from battle.net, check it out? Or maybe on a separate partition?

Your system seems like it should run wow on max 1080 IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Added note: Just because a system can run wow on Max with amazing FPS - SOMETIMES situations like 60+ multiboxers/major cities/major raid environments can glitch and cause unknown fps drops - that's NOT your issue, it's a game design problem (most issues have been worked out).

Mine dropped too.
    Then i deleted my out-of-date addons and now i'm back up again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    An i7 is not going to make any difference. WoW stresses only 1 core. Hyperthreading would do more harm than good in regards to wow.
    WoW should of been able to max at least two cores on 64-bit client (circa end of Cata), as far as I can tell, it's using at least 2 cores on the 64-bit client.

Quote Originally Posted by Svens View Post
    The GPU has almost no effect on these drops, I get 45-50 FPS in the garrison and some areas with a 1080 on FHD
    Thats funny today my settings where altered by blizzard I am assuming and I was getting big drops too. They turned off my anti alias and the screen was so blury on texts but my fps was like 200. The big drops happened thou as soon as I started going to the garrison as well.
    When I turned anti alias to CMAA it cleared up the blurry issue but had a huge drop in frames where I was normally at 100fps I am now down to 50fps on max setting 10. I have been at max setting 10 since it was changed I even have videos to prove it. So yea something has happened between last night and today.
    Maybe its to do with there so called motion sickness changes....
    I dunno when they turned that anti alias off I ended up getting head aches from the blurry stuff real bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Svens View Post
    That's both interesting and disappointing, though maybe encouraging that more tweaks will resolve the issue and I can hold off on an upgrade a bit longer

Thanks for the suggestions @dacoolist, but I have zero desire to fresh install my OS because of this. Everything is indeed updated and it is a fairly fresh Win10 install - 2 months maybe. Also, no malware/virus etc.

I do think it would be prudent to go ahead and give the addons folder a nice wipe and start over. I'm looking to redo the UI anyway, so we'll see if that helps.

Thanks again everyone. The game is by no means unplayable, I'm just a stickler for optimization.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Yes it will.. wow uses more then 1 Core.. so stop being a fool

Okay, but here's the problem that you PC elites don't get.
    PC peasants like me, who has always run WoW on almost all the lowest settings, have to use EVERYTHING on low and STILL I get FPS drops into the 18-23's.

The new zones are just getting too graphically good for old or just, bad PC's..

-NVidia Geforce GT 620-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions @dacoolist, but I have zero desire to fresh install my OS because of this. Everything is indeed updated and it is a fairly fresh Win10 install - 2 months maybe. Also, no malware/virus etc.

I do think it would be prudent to go ahead and give the addons folder a nice wipe and start over. I'm looking to redo the UI anyway, so we'll see if that helps.

Thanks again everyone. The game is by no means unplayable, I'm just a stickler for optimization.

Cheers,
    Turn your shadows to low and your problems will be solved. Or at least down a couple notches.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Okay, but here's the problem that you PC elites don't get.
    PC peasants like me, who has always run WoW on almost all the lowest settings, have to use EVERYTHING on low and STILL I get FPS drops into the 18-23's.

The new zones are just getting too graphically good for old or just, bad PC's..

-NVidia Geforce GT 620-
    Is it possible to update the system, graphics card or anything?

I'm a big laptop/mobile guy - I've seen a ton of amazing brand new systems on sale with dedicated 970GTX's for like 600-800U$D with really good i7's, ram etc - again, I mean obviously dumping money into a computer doesn't seem viable, but it will take your game play/fun to the next LEVEL.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I was talking about, again it's a laptop, so a desktop custom built would be probably around 500$ or less, not a bad choice to really get a SOLID system running wow at least at high high settings (idk about AA to max though hahah): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...15&ignorebbr=1

I don't want a laptop. I don't use a laptop lol