Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    In New Jersey, Servers make 2.13 an hour by law. If you do not make enough in tips to equal out to minimum wage for the week, the company must compensate you.

I was a server for 7 years. Know how often I didn't make minimum wage? Never. I always made well above that.
    Honestly, a decent server will make far more in tips than his actual salary. I was making $36k a year as a teenager.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    And where exactly is this place, with a minimum wage of 2.13?
    In the United States of America.

This particular place is in Arizona. I confirm the law is the same in New Jersey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Honestly, a decent server will make far more in tips than his actual salary. I was making $36k a year as a teenager.
    Absolutely. If you care about your job, and have empathy and social skills, you can make a killing as a server.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Yeah. Looked that crap up. Thats insane. I mean, if you work in a good location. Living off a low, flat check is anxiety-inducing [...to me]. Glad I went the army route and now working IT in the hospitality industry. /shivers

edit: And walking around with all that loose currency...

My cousin worked at a high price restaurant, was in college and drove a sweet BMW, you do good at the right place. He's now a professor at a university.

One thing I learned from all of this is that when you tip by credit card they can take out the CC fee out of your tip, I didn't know that, ill have to remember to tip with cash from now on...

I've seen deviantArt accounts less delusional than her. Holy shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    Yeah. Looked that crap up. Thats insane. I mean, if you work in a good location. Living off a low, flat check is anxiety-inducing [...to me]. Glad I went the army route and now working IT in the hospitality industry. /shivers

edit: And walking around with all that loose currency...
    That is exactly why I left the industry. It was fantastic while living at home and going to school. But once I had to have a steady income to have my own place and such, I went into the IT field.

The rollercoaster pay scale was not reliable enough for adult life. One week it could be slow and I only make like $200. The next could be hopping and I could make like $500. You just never know how much you will have at the end of the month.

Also: I advocate with the removal of tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    One thing I learned from all of this is that when you tip by credit card they can take out the CC fee out of your tip, I didn't know that, ill have to remember to tip with cash from now on...
    Not to mention that the government knows about all CC tips - i.e. you're paying taxes on them. Cash tips leave no trail. Sure you might have to claim 8-10% of your sales at the end of the night in the POS just to clock out, but that should be significantly less than what you have in your pocket.

Tip cash people - the server/bartender gets to keep more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    In the United States of America.

This particular place is in Arizona. I confirm the law is the same in New Jersey.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely. If you care about your job, and have empathy and social skills, you can make a killing as a server.
    Or have boobs, I will openly admit to giving a higher tip because of cleavage and nothing else, I feel dumb doing it but I have in the past. It's kind of one of those "why did I just do that?..oh well" type of things lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Or have boobs, I will openly admit to giving a higher tip because of cleavage and nothing else, I feel dumb doing it but I have in the past. It's kind of one of those "why did I just do that?..oh well" type of things lol
    And the women are WELL aware of it. Some places actually have dress codes that do not allow cleavage showing since they find it to be an unfair advantage, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Not to mention that the government knows about all CC tips - i.e. you're paying taxes on them. Cash tips leave no trail. Sure you might have to claim 8-10% of your sales at the end of the night in the POS just to clock out, but that should be significantly less than what you have in your pocket.

I can't say I can get behind on someone cheating on their taxes even though I can't blame them lol

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The employees signed a contract to allow them to, if they didn't agree with it they shouldn't have signed the contract

- - - Updated - - -

They can when they sign a contract allowing them to.
    Even with a contract, they cannot legally keep your tips. Contract clauses that go against public policy (like the FLSA) are unenforceable and void. It's in the same vein as not being able to use a contract to pay your employees less than the minimum wage.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-07-27 at 07:36 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post

Yes do what this guy said.

Cheat on your taxes and if your cough just blame this guy....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

You must have never been a waiter/waitress because if you don't suck you make way more money than minimum wage.
    That's heavily dependent on where the restaurant is located, the prices of its food and the clientele.

Small places with inexpensive food and cheapskate clientele don't tip as well as high end restaurants.

You can definitely make decent money waiting tables, but that doesn't mean everyone is and it's not always because they don't put the effort in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny that a lot of people on these forums have advocated that we shouldn't have to tip people for their jobs that they should be paid a higher wage, Amy does it and gets slammed for doing it. LOL.
    I lol'd a bit at that as well. People say wait staff should get 12-15 an hour, which is fine by me. They also then wont get tipped. I know when I worked at a bar, id sure as shit rather make 2.50 an hour and get tips because I cleaned house. Typically I made closer to $30 an hour and getting 12-15 minus taxes would have halved my income.

If you make less than 12 or 15 an hour (over the course of a week, you have to work downtimes obviously), your either not working hard enough, or you work in a s-hole and should find another place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    That's heavily dependent on where the restaurant is located, the prices of its food and the clientele.

Small places with inexpensive food and cheapskate clientele don't tip as well as high end restaurants.

You can definitely make decent money waiting tables, but that doesn't mean everyone is and it's not always because they don't put the effort in.
    The variables is why I feel they should just get a regular wage. It is too uncertain to maintain a consistent budget.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dyzz View Post
    I lol'd a bit at that as well. People say wait staff should get 12-15 an hour, which is fine by me. They also then wont get tipped. I know when I worked at a bar, id sure as shit rather make 2.50 an hour and get tips because I cleaned house. Typically I made closer to $30 an hour and getting 12-15 minus taxes would have halved my income.

If you make less than 12 or 15 an hour (over the course of a week, you have to work downtimes obviously), your either not working hard enough, or you work in a s-hole and should find another place.
    As was said there's a difference between:

A company that pays their staff a living wage/benefits, and informs their customers that they do not accept tips.

and

A company that pays their staff a living wage/benefits, but does not inform their customers and steals the tips the customer left for the server, not the owners.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    What did they do that was illegal? That bitch is crazy but I don't think they did anything illegal.
    They pocketed server tips, which alone is extremely illegal.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't think some people realize how bad the tipping thing was.

Tips aren't payment to the business. They're a gift from the customer directly to the server. By saying the "house" owns the tips, they're essentially confiscating gifts the customer has given the servers. It's outright, direct theft.

When I worked in hospitality (not in the food industry), when we were working for a place that wanted to take the "tips", the way our contract was designed was that we weren't allowed to accept tips; we were to recommend donating it (this was at museums and historic sites; they needed the donations, and we were decently paid, in the USA today it would've been at around $10-11/hour).

There are no circumstances that I'm aware of where an employer can seize your tips.

The ONE sort-of exception is tip-pool arrangements, and even there, the employer/owner cannot be a part of the pool, in every jurisdiction I know.

What ABC was doing was theft, straight-up, and the only reason I wouldn't want to see charges brought is that I truly believe she's legitimately stupid enough to just not know any better.

I find it funny that a lot of people on these forums have advocated that we shouldn't have to tip people for their jobs that they should be paid a higher wage, Amy does it and gets slammed for doing it. LOL.
    Because understanding the difference is obviously to hard for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    They pocketed server tips, which alone is extremely illegal.
    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...say-dishonest/

According to an insider close to the Bouzaglos, this proves that Miranda intentionally stole money from them, despite signing the agreement.

“Samy and Amy did nothing wrong, because while they took the servers tips, they also paid them a much higher hourly wage than most other servers. And Miranda signed that agreement, so the Bouzaglos just want everyone to know how dishonest she is,” the source told Radar.

“Legally they have the option to prosecute her, but they’ve chosen not to.”

The source continued to defend the Bouzaglos, stating that a higher hourly wage gave the employees a secure income when business was slow.

Wish I had a more reliable source, but seeing how there is nothing on the web saying they are going to jail over pocketing tips and how high profile they are I assume they where legally in the right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Because understanding the difference is obviously to hard for you.
    Please explain it to me then.