Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's ancient history at this point. there's not a single point in caring or thinking about it in today's society. it's pointless.
    Believe what you want.. no amount of understanding is going to change your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I am sick of it too. It has become the crutch of the black community. You dont hear Asians bring up slavery every time someone mentions our great rail system.
    No they bring up Japanese internment camps everytime someone mentions walls and deportations. To be fair the chinese were not slaves, they just got paid an extremely low wage. They died on the job a lot because it was dangerous but no one 'owned them' or could sell their children.

10+ Year Old Account
    What racists hold power?
    You mean aside from pretty much the entire party leadership right now? The Tea Party completely hijacked the GOP right after Obama's election in 2008, and they've been charging to the right and coasting on the evangelical, corporatist, and white supremacist votes since. Trump himself, THE guy currently running the GOP shitshow, has a huge white supremacist base.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

the world's mostly different. instead of wining about what happened a couple hundred years ago, go fight current slavery in africa and the middle east. but that's a lot more dangerous than wining about the evil white man, isn't it?
    Or lets help solve the generational problems that slavery and racism still present today.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Old white conservative men should probably not talk positively about slavery.

It never ends well for them.
    Interesting considering the democratic support for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's ancient history at this point. there's not a single point in caring or thinking about it in today's society. it's pointless.
    Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. That's why dictators are able to rise to power, time and time again; those people failed to learn from their history and are basically just repeating the grade, over and over.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Right, because there were no free black slave owners in the South...
    They made up like less than 1% of the population... and the overwhelming majority of them were from Louisiana

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    It's quite disturbing how he can see some good in slavery.

Seriously...
    The "good" in slavery is that the generations that came after were given a far better opportunities than they would have otherwise, assuming they would have even been born.

I don't care if people rip me apart, truth is truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Old white conservative men should probably not talk positively about slavery.

It never ends well for them.
    Michele Obama, a member of the ruling elite, if she had a conscience she would have realized the absurdity of getting up in front of an audience of people who had just been screwed over by a rigged political system, and then brow beating them 'into line'. How progressive it is that black people can now be slave masters, that a black president can betray the fundamental values of liberalism and then go on to reap a massive paycheck for his complicity in the endless cycle of corruption. I wonder what people will think when Barack Obama makes hundreds of millions of dollars after being president, maybe more people will realize that the mantra of 'hope and change' was really only skin deep.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    So you have never seen the CSX Rail commercials? Despite what you think, a lot of our shit is still moved by freight.
    Almost all of our shit is moved by freight. This country would stop if rail stopped.

Why is everyone bringing up Slavery again? So our nation has a shady past, gratz, so do most of them. If you'd all let the whole thing die then maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal every time someone brings up something that happened in the past. Race has been a problem, but when you're "insert life here" mattermovements cause violence and death you are part of the problem. To borrow from peaceful leader MLKjr “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” The more we perpetuate all this hate, the more hate will come of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    The "good" in slavery is that the generations that came after were given a far better opportunities than they would have otherwise, assuming they would have even been born.

I don't care if people rip me apart, truth is truth.
    How can you say that with any certainty? You cant pretend to know how the world plays out if slavery didnt happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Michele Obama, a member of the ruling elite, if she had a conscience she would have realized the absurdity of getting up in front of an audience of people who had just been screwed over by a rigged political system, and then brow beating them 'into line'. How progressive it is that black people can now be slave masters, that a black president can betray the fundamental values of liberalism and then go on to reap a massive paycheck for his complicity in the endless cycle of corruption. I wonder what people will think when Barack Obama makes hundreds of millions of dollars after being president, maybe more people will realize that the mantra of 'hope and change' was really only skin deep.
    Calling Michelle Obama the ruling elite, what the what? You must of lost your mind, she is just the wife of a president, she doesn't have rule over anything. This entire paragraph stinks of conspiracy theories and an over active imagination and fear of people with money, like being successful makes you evil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Here's the relevant section:
    "You see, Hillary understands that the president is about one thing and one thing only, it’s about leaving something better for our kids. That’s how we’ve always moved this country forward, by all of us coming together on behalf of our children, folks who volunteer to coach that team, to teach that Sunday school class, because they know it takes a village. Heroes of every color and creed who wear the uniform and risk their lives to keep passing down those blessings of liberty, police officers and the protesters in Dallas who all desperately want to keep our children safe. People who lined up in Orlando to donate blood because it could have been their son, their daughter in that club. Leaders like Tim Kaine, who show our kids what decency and devotion look like. Leaders like Hillary Clinton who has the guts and the grace to keep coming back and putting those cracks in that highest and hardest glass ceiling until she finally breaks through, lifting all of us along with her. That is the story of this country, the story that has brought me to this stage tonight, the story of generations of people who felt the lash of bondage, the shame of servitude, the sting of segregation, but who kept on striving and hoping and doing what needed to be done so that today I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves. And I watch my daughters, two beautiful, intelligent, black young women playing with their dogs on the White House lawn. And because of Hillary Clinton, my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States."

And here's Bill O'Reilly's response:
    "Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor. So, Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House, but there were others working as well."
    thanks.
    I look at where we were and where we went and it feels like the initial point she made is bullshit about doing just one thing better. It feels like often it went like doing one thing better and making one thing worse. And something with making it better just had a bad effect as well. But i think that fits Barrack Obama he did one thing well and the rest he made worse or kept the status qou.
    What it should be doing something better without making things worse.

As for the second part, guess my response was very valid to what she said. In a way though doesn't what she said ignore all the white people that helped improve the lives of the blacks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    How can you say that with any certainty? You cant pretend to know how the world plays out if slavery didnt happen...
    Well go live in the territories of Africa they were pulled out of, let me know how it goes for ya.

Well go live in the territories of Africa they were pulled out of, let me know how it goes for ya.
    Youre missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. That's why dictators are able to rise to power, time and time again; those people failed to learn from their history and are basically just repeating the grade, over and over.
    we've already learned from it. that's the thing.

all of this now is just whining about evil whites instead of dealing with your own problems. live in a ghetto? evil white man's fault. can't even walk down the street for dangerous gangs? evil white man's fault. step back and have some self reflection there's a problem in your so-called "culture" that's breeding this kind of horrible shit.

i know what whites have done, i also know you're not even the worse persecuted people in the americas. go talk to the like 20% of native americans that are left alive, living on reservations that are pretty fucked. but y'all don't care about that, you care about yourselves and what you can get from scream "muh evil white mans, muh racisms" when they hardly exist in any significant way anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Youre missing the point.
    No I'm not, the Africans wouldn't have been brought to America if not for slavery. There would be no black Americans like we have today without slavery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Calling Michelle Obama the ruling elite, what the what? You must of lost your mind, she is just the wife of a president, she doesn't have rule over anything. This entire paragraph stinks of conspiracy theories and an over active imagination and fear of people with money, like being successful makes you evil.
    Think your taking ruling elite to literal. The ruling elite sort of takes into account the bush and clinton family because of their constant influence andhaving multiple family members been presidents or high status in goverment.

But i also think Big corperations are part of it with the lobyist element. And this is where Michele Obama fits in, she's in a lot of interest groups that are involved in policy and influence.

No I'm not, the Africans wouldn't have been brought to America if not for slavery. There would be no black Americans like we have today without slavery.
    Yeh you are, either willfully or ignorantly. You cant say that slavery made the lives of Africans better when we cant possibly compare the alternative because the alternative didnt happen.