Gpu for 1080p 144hz

I'm wondering what graphics cards would be able to hit max graphical settings for WoW or close to max while maintaining close to the 144fps of the monitor. I was hoping to stick with AMD as I have a freesync monitor, but I'm guessing to get that performance that I'm seeking, I'll have to wait for the Vega cards they are working on currently? Or if it'd be better to simply get either the Fury X or the 1070? Wasn't sure if getting the 1070 is worth sacrificing the freesync?

I wouldn't want to go above 450-500 USD but I'm patient enough to wait for the right card.

For reference, I have an i5 4690k currently.

Thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're not going to maintain anywhere near 144 FPS in raids, not even close. It's CPU dependent, not GPU. Unlike some games that can do this by throwing a high end GPU at it, WoW is sadly not like this.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    You're not going to maintain anywhere near 144 FPS in raids, not even close. It's CPU dependent, not GPU. Unlike some games that can do this by throwing a high end GPU at it, WoW is sadly not like this.
    WoW has been GPU Dependent since 6.0

Please stop spreading this myth.

There isn't much to gain from a better cpu in your case, it'll be just fine. Freesync isn't worth sacrificing in my opinion, I wouldn't be able to part with my G-Sync monitor myself. The problem is that AMD doesn't quite have anything that comes close to a 1070 which is the easy recommendation for 1080p ~144Hz for the next couple of years. I'm not familiar enough to know when AMD might be coming with an equivalent, but it could be a while since iirc they are doing some mainstream and laptop gpu's for a while. Quite the predicament dude, shame you went for Freesync.

Quote Originally Posted by Knupzz View Post
    There isn't much to gain from a better cpu in your case, it'll be just fine. Freesync isn't worth sacrificing in my opinion, I wouldn't be able to part with my G-Sync monitor myself. The problem is that AMD doesn't quite have anything that comes close to a 1070 which is the easy recommendation for 1080p ~144Hz for the next couple of years. I'm not familiar enough to know when AMD might be coming with an equivalent, but it could be a while since iirc they are doing some mainstream and laptop gpu's for a while. Quite the predicament dude, shame you went for Freesync.
    Yea when I bought my computer I went with AMD because freesync is so much cheaper than gsync, but hadn't anticipated the lack of graphics card to come for a while that could push 144hz without sacrificing graphical settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    WoW has been GPU Dependent since 6.0

Please stop spreading this myth.
    LOL. Oh Paula Deen.

LOL. Oh Paula Deen.
    You are factually incorrect. WoW is now just as dependent on a CPU as it is a GPU. All you have to do is monitor GPU and CPU Usuage and see that a GPU is fully utilized. You don't even have to leave the damn forum to see that. Go read the huge thread about how the 1080 is having issues in WoW. People posting shots all over the thread showcasing that, outside of that card, WoW is using close to 100% of GPU Utilization.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are factually incorrect. WoW is now just as dependent on a CPU as it is a GPU. All you have to do is monitor GPU and CPU Usuage and see that a GPU is fully utilized. You don't even have to leave the damn forum to see that. Go read the huge thread about how the 1080 is having issues in WoW. People posting shots all over the thread showcasing that, outside of that card, WoW is using close to 100% of GPU Utilization.
    I think all that butter is clogging your arteries. In the context of this thread, you're making so sense and contributing nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's true that WoW has benefited from a better GPU since 6.0, your CPU remains the highest priority in terms of overall game performance.

Yeah, when you crank the settings up, it will utilize the GPU. However, if you turn the settings down, you'll notice that in a raid situation, your min FPS will be right around the same. The CPU is still the bottleneck in most systems as it still has to make all the draw calls. When you get into a situation with a lot going on at once or heavy particle effects, the time your FPS tanks to the lowest, you are limited solely by the CPU.

7+ Year Old Account
    Paula Deen you better watch your dia-beetus coming in here saying that WoW (or any other MMO) isn't CPU bottlenecked!

Its exactly what Lathais said.

The "Ultra" settings of Cataclysm and MoP were much different (and less) than the settings that exist today and in WoD.

And the whole game changed Polygon/Texture wise.

Basically a 960 and a 1070 wont see a difference, but as an example older media cards will have a massive improvement because they simply changed the amount of textures passively and everywhere.

I have seen this live basically around 5 days ago..

Both terrible PC's for a budget net cafe thats more of a cafeteria now than a Gaming Station for the kids to play LoL, both build 4-5 years ago, just got a few upgraded with a 950.

AMD FX 4300/GTX 650 vs AMD FX 4300/GTX 950

Both used same settings, and the difference was massive during stress, think they either went LFR or Kazzak since i was informed in Facebook a couple hours later.

The GTX 650 dipped to 4 FPS with 0 addons enabled, the person playing doesnt really use much apart from damage meters.

The GTX 950 was running LUI and all sorts of addons, and didnt dip below 20 FPS during the same thing.

Do note, in Garrison while fixing their settings to be identical and playable, they GTX 650 had around 95-110 FPS while moving the camera.

And the GTX 950 had around the same, 100-120 FPS.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-07-28 at 01:45 AM.

1070 is the perfect 1080p card for high fps

1070 is more then enough for high fps just overclock your cpu

The Fury X is the only AMD card that will get you close to that. Probably in the 130-140fps range. So imo it's a choice between that or waiting. There's no point sacrificing Freesync.

Deleted
    Cpu aside, for gpu @1080p and wow anything above a gtx1060 will be fine. If you play other more gpu intensive games you can jump to a gtx1070 but i doupt you will notice any difference in wow.

Thanks for the all feedback guys. Think I may just keep an eye out on any cheap Fury X's, otherwise I'll wait for any news on the new Vega GPUs

Deleted
    If you can play at around 60fps with your current GPU beter wait AMD
    1070 is good VGA but the trick who Nvidia do to keep their prices high draw me out of them...

I think all that butter is clogging your arteries. In the context of this thread, you're making so sense and contributing nothing.

Butter doesn't clog arteries, but are any CPUs fast enough to run wow at 144fps at 1080p?

15+ Year Old Account
    At constant 144, even in raids? No. Not even in your garrison. WoW's shitty engine is too CPU dependent.