Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Using my already mentioned arguement. I'm yet to meet anyone that quit Wow over being hacked, myself included. They ticketed and waited it out untill everything got restored.

Taking into consideration that people in League of Legends have been perma banned up to five times yet still insist on making new accounts and continue playing, getting an easily removed 'unjustified silence' is a rather tame reason to quit. Suppose you have to be INCREDIBLY easily butthurt to do it.
    Tame reason from your opinion, unfortunately for you everyone else has their own opinion and they could be different. And what kind of asshole calls people who get punished for no reason butthurt? The only butthurt here is among the ones getting people silenced for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Can you really get him if he doesn't write anything? Afaik he needs to type something in public chat.
    The funny part is that he's just silenced. The mailbox is still blocked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilfish View Post
    Tame reason from your opinion, unfortunately for you everyone else has their own opinion and they could be different. And what kind of asshole calls people who get punished for no reason butthurt? The only butthurt here is among the ones getting people silenced for no reason.
    Do you even read bro?

I just used an example that took a lot of people into consideration. Sure you can have an opinion, but it's stupid. Logically speaking, people would not quit the game for something so trivial as an unjustified silence punishment for reasons ALREADY STATED IN PREVIOUS COMMENT. GO LOOK THEM UP.

Secondly, I never said that people are butthurt because they get punished, I said they are butthurt if they quit the game IF they get punished. There is a difference, see?

If you still fail to grasp what I'm saying then please don't respond, because I will never get nicer. You clearly don't deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    It's funny how some people here are scared to death to discover someone is actually superior to them in any way. We have equal rights and we are equal but this doesn't mean we a have the same intellect. Some of us are indeed superior. Sorry no one ever told you and you had to learn it from me.
    I feel like there is a Game of Thrones quote appropriate for that...

"Any man who must say, 'I am the king' is no true king." - Tywin Lannister

I believe that is 100% applicable to your superiority claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    I feel like there is a Game of Thrones quote appropriate for that...

"Any man who must say, 'I am the king' is no true king." - Tywin Lannister
    Don't take fiction as a guide for real live. It's a nice sentiment but practically it worked out different.
    If you think about it they made great effort to make their role believable with shiny toys of crown, scepter, etc. , ceremonies to show off who is king, all to proof their status as without them they were not different to anyone else. Especially after all the inbreeding they were most likely even more retarded than the average peasant. So it's just about making people believe in it even if you were unfit to rule.

It's funny how some people here are scared to death to discover someone is actually superior to them in any way.
    How did this thread end up here?

Nice picture "Dacoolist". I should take notes of how to argue a standpoint, post memes (check). I know it's a part of the game, it's why i'm against it. It's why i'm going to report anyone posting anything about boosting in trade, it will probably not have any effect if not more are doing it but it's what i can do. And before you reply, you know, people are selling the gold they make for real money right? At least where i'm from and on my realm people (not bots, regular players) are also spamming about selling gold for real money. Something that's very likely to be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    How did this thread end up here?

Nice picture "Dacoolist". I should take notes of how to argue a standpoint, post memes (check). I know it's a part of the game, it's why i'm against it. It's why i'm going to report anyone posting anything about boosting in trade, it will probably not have any effect if not more are doing it but it's what i can do. And before you reply, you know, people are selling the gold they make for real money right? At least where i'm from and on my realm people (not bots, regular players) are also spamming about selling gold for real money. Something that's very likely to be illegal.
    Hahahahahahahahaha you think selling in game items/currency for real money is illegal hahahahasahahaha.

This guy.

It's against Blizzard's TOS sure but there is absolutely nothing illegal about it. Actually you'd be hard pressed to convince me it even has a negative impact on the game anymore.

I've played this game on US Illidan since launch. Illidan was the first server that opened and it was by far the most populated and busy server in the game up until WOD.

At no point in this game did gold selling ever effect the in-game economy in a negative way anywhere close to what garrisons did.

So I'm pretty neutral on all that, with the exception that account hacking goes hand in hand with a lot of that.

I don't shit talk, troll or act like a 12 year old boy so I can assure you I won't ever be silenced. Some people seem to be confusing 'acting like an anonymous shit head' with 'socializing'. Most of the bitching is people who were forewarned of the consequences but still walked dick first into them because they didn't understand that rules apply to them too and there are consequences to actions.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-07-28 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    This is why I love asmongold - he's always testing everything out PROPER
    yes. "proper" forces the system to silence him, and complains about it. Doesnt even have the common sense to realize, of course you get auto silenced with enough reports, then the report will be checked. the system isnt going to flag someone, then let them continue to spam until a GM can check it.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    You're just not cut out for it then. I for one grow in an environment where everyone want to be at their best.
    like no one ever was?

pvp isn't for everyone; and the stereotype is that most competitive people have poor sportsmanship, which isn't necessarily the case.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    yes. "proper" forces the system to silence him, and complains about it. Doesnt even have the common sense to realize, of course you get auto silenced with enough reports, then the report will be checked. the system isnt going to flag someone, then let them continue to spam until a GM can check it.
    The original post was that blizzard stated the silence was not automated, and that a real GM would be making the call - he proved it wrong day 1... common sense has nothing to do with the point of this entire post was to show it WAS automated - and the system can, and has already been abused by several thousand people. Blizzards already deleted hundreds of threads on this, and the damage control isn't even cutting the mustard this time. I'll let you get silenced for nothing a few times before you come back and fully understand how bad the system can be

"This system is great!" - A bunch of people who think they're magically immune to being silenced for completely arbitrary reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    "This system is great!" - A bunch of people who think they're magically immune to being silenced for completely arbitrary reasons.
    It's what usually happens when you force people rather than incentivize them..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    I told someone to kill themselves and got silenced. THE INJUSTICE.
    injstice seriously, telling someone to commit suicide is one of the worst things you can do, what if that person was upset and was on the edge and what yo usaid actually made them kill themselfs, how would you feel, hopefully terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    Well, considering I rarely (if ever) talk in public chat channels, and only tend to report people that spam or troll. I love the system, because I'll never be silenced. Never been banned in 10+ years of playing, either.

The system *is* great.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Dude, 200 posts back I and others already explained the problem. Waiting for a human review before silencing the reported player is a problem because it leaves that player a significant window of time in which to continue the abuse.

In the end it's actually about assessing what is worse:

Allowing a few players to get abused by getting silenced for a short while or
    Allowing gold sellers/boosters/etc to effectively operate unimpeded, allow players to verbally harrass others etc
    Increase the penalty then if the person kept abusing for a long time after being reported. Had several abusive sentences? Silenced for X hours / days. Flamed for two hours? Silenced for 10*X. This avoids issues with auto-silence by players.

You know why they are doing auto-silence by players, by the way? Because they don't want to spend time on that themselves. That's the entire reason - this measure might be them cutting costs where they can because they aren't sure how well Legion and WoW in general is going to be, ie, it is perhaps a glimpse at what's going on in the labs. We are talking here about auto-silence by players being bad because it's prone to abuse, but we might be missing a bigger thing which is that WoW is kind of winding down and that's one of the measures in their orderly retreat into, I don't know, Overwatch and CandyCrush.

This also puts into perspective all these expectations of some kind of due process to detect abusers, etc - this is very likely simply wishful thinking. But that's a side point.

(By the way, regarding your last para - you *want* players to auto-silence boosters??? Gold sellers, I understand - and they're being reported through the roof already, not sure what the measure adds - but boosters, as in, pay however much gold to get carried through CM?? If you are *fine* auto-silencing for that instead of for language, well, I don't see how you can object to any sort of abuse from auto-silence, because you are essentially doing it yourself - you just think it is fine because your criteria is good. I can assure you that who you'd call abusers also think their criteria is good. If you meant strictly gold sellers, then fine, this does not apply.)
    Last edited by rda; 2016-07-28 at 05:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about works same way as the silence penalty you advocate for. I warned you I will give you a taste of your own medicine. Stop being abusive and you will be safe. Bye now

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny how some people here are scared to death to discover someone is actually superior to them in any way. We have equal rights and we are equal but this doesn't mean we a have the same intellect. Some of us are indeed superior. Sorry no one ever told you and you had to learn it from me.
    Yeah, good luck, I'll be waiting for the day this happens, because it only does so for angry trolls. And it clearly shows in this thread. Sucks to be a bully, now that the punishments are going out.

Scratch that, I won't be waiting. The difference between you and I is: I have nothing to worry about. The system is in its infancy, but it's time you thought twice about what you posted online.

The Internet is not a safe space for feelings, and it's certainly not a safe space for idiocy either.
    Anonymity doesn't change the rules we acquire in real life, in public and private places. Nor does it grant you immunity from punishment or consequences.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2016-07-28 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Yeah, good luck, I'll be waiting for the day this happens, because it only does so for angry trolls. And it clearly shows in this thread. Sucks to be a bully, now that the punishments are going out.
    90% of posts in this thread are targets for auto-silence. Including yours that I quote. If you want to not be auto-silenced, being nice won't help, the only thing you can do is limit how much you write. People who are nice but post frequently or semi-frequently are going to be auto-silenced at some point, period, that's just how it works with player-induced silences. (Then they will cry on the forums and someone will helpfully suggest that perhaps they aren't telling the whole story and were saying something bad. After which those silenced will learn their lesson and shut up. The world you are advocating for is that of silence, not that of nice behavior. Silence and occasional abuse.)
    Last edited by rda; 2016-07-28 at 09:15 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Increase the penalty then if the person kept abusing for a long time after being reported. Had several abusive sentences? Silenced for X hours / days. Flamed for two hours? Silenced for 10*X. This avoids issues with auto-silence by players.
    Yes it avoids the issue of auto silence by players. It also completely fails to address the actual problems that need addressing and for which purpose this new mechanism was created in the first place. For example:

1) It doesn't do anything to solve the gold seller and other cheating activities because they will be able to carry on for hours before their stolen account gets stolen, at which point they make a new fake account to continue. Which is exactly the way things have been for years now, and no, it's not ok. If they get banned after 1 minute, then suddenly they cannot do this anymore.
    2) When a player is being abusive towards other players, that should be stopped immediately. Allowing the abuser to continue with abuse and then punishing them harder later on does nothing to help the victims of the abuse. It's like going to the police and complaining that you have been assaulted, and them saying they'll come back in a week. And hey, if the assailant ends up murdering you before then, at least they'll go to jail for longer.

You know why they are doing auto-silence by players, by the way? Because they don't want to spend time on that themselves.
    Them saving time, money and resources is not anti-player behaviour. It's a good business practice that is mutually beneficail.

This also puts into perspective all these expectations of some kind of due process to detect abusers, etc - this is very likely simply wishful thinking.
    I am a systemes engineer. I see a problem, so I think of how I would solve the problem. To me it's not a case of wishful thinking that Blizzard will "do the right thing". It's a case of there *if* there is this obvious *potential* problem there is an obvious *potential* solution. Their systems engineers are also smart people so it makes sense that they would find the obvious solution, or in the very least another solution that also works.

(By the way, regarding your last para - you *want* players to auto-silence boosters??? Gold sellers, I understand - and they're being reported through the roof already, not sure what the measure adds
    In the past gold sellers could advertise their services for hours before being silenced. With the new system they can be silenced almost immediately. The new measure adds an order of magnitude improvement in effectiveness.

but boosters, as in, pay however much gold to get carried through CM??
    I never said anything about the bolded part. I am (obviously) referring to the illicit (as in against the ToS) boosts advertised in trade where people end up redirecting you to a skype account so that they can charge real money for their services. While I can understand that some people might be fine with such practices, it is objectively rational to not allow the advertising thereof to happen in game.

I don't see how you can object to any sort of abuse from auto-silence, because you are essentially doing it yourself - you just think it is fine because your criteria is good. I can assure you that who you'd call abusers also think their criteria is good.
    I disagree with this line of reasoning. There is a world of difference between someone who erroneously reports someone because they are misguided in terms of what they believe should be a reportable offence and someone who reports someone just they think it will be funny to get them silenced.

The system can be tuned, by setting report thresholds, to effectively filter out overzealous reporters who genuinely don't understand the difference between, for example, a guild charging gold to let you come on a CM dungeon or Mythic raid run with them, and a Chinese consortium charging real money to play your character for you. Which means that essentially, these individuals are harmless, as opposed to actual abusers who are conciously trying to ruin others' playing experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    It won't do anything to combat gold sellers since, AFAIK, they use throwaway accounts already.
    They use stolen accounts. This is a finite resource. While they don't care about getting these accounts banned and silenced, they can't afford to keep doing it indefinitely.

As for boosts being sold... where the fuck else are you gonna advertise it? If you aren't looking to buy/sell anything and can't handle other people trying to sell shit, leave the damn trade channel. Of all the BS that went on in trade, people trying to sell boosts was, well, the most acceptable thing.
    I quite specifically said "Boost for money". You're not allowed to sell anything in game for real money, and advertising it in trade is just plain wrong, not only because it is against the ToS, but also because it is a hostile activity towards players. Not only are they trying to get you to participate in a potentially risky real money transaction (bear in mind that someone advertising a CM boost could easily be a phishing scam to get hold of your credit card details), but it also makes it more difficult for players trying to sell and buy legit boosts (ie for gold). For Blizzard it is a huge risk because they cannot in any way guarantee that once their customer has paid real money for the boost, that the seller ever upholds their end of the bargain - which could result in a very unhappy customer.

3) If people are abusive, you could already report them, if it was bad enough and actually abusive, they'd probably get banned or w/e. It's not like you could verbally abuse someone and walk away unscathed. In fact, if they circumvent the ignore system by using alts you could definitly get banned already.
    It's about what the abuser is able to do in the time it takes for the old system to react that is the concern. There is, absolutely, a lot of merit in ensuring that abusers are dealt with a lot faster than has been the case in the past, and that their victims not be made to suffer any longer than possible.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2016-07-28 at 09:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel as though people who support automated silence, which seems to be what squelching was changed to, were the same people who threw support towards SOPA, because it looked good on paper. It's unnecessary censorship. I'd much rather they improve the ignore system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Yes it avoids the issue of auto silence by players. It also completely fails to address the actual problems that need addressing and for which purpose this new mechanism was created in the first place. For example:

1) It doesn't do anything to solve the gold seller and other cheating activities because they will be able to carry on for hours before their stolen account gets stolen, at which point they make a new fake account to continue. Which is exactly the way things have been for years now, and no, it's not ok. If they get banned after 1 minute, then suddenly they cannot do this anymore.
    2) When a player is being abusive towards other players, that should be stopped immediately. Allowing the abuser to continue with abuse and then punishing them harder later on does nothing to help the victims of the abuse. It's like going to the police and complaining that you have been assaulted, and them saying they'll come back in a week. And hey, if the assailant ends up murdering you before then, at least they'll go to jail for longer.
    This was never a way to punish gold sellers, they are a side issue. This is not how you fight them either.

This is a way to prevent players from being verbally abusive, yes. But the auto-silence invoked by players ruins it, the abuse from it and the subjectivity of the silence won't make the chat a nice place, they will make it a silent place, that's it. The absolutism in your point 2 - "When a player is being abusive towards other players, that should be stopped immediately." - is completely misguided, chat is not by far the only way or the worst way players are abused. There are ninja looters, gankers, etc, etc, etc. Wintraders. Cheaters. Attacking chat in such an idiotic way parading a flag that "the abuse has to be stopped immediately" is intellectually dishonest.

They are doing it to save costs. The end.