Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    How can they plan that, based on THAT, and not be called insane?
    Because typically the insanity defense applies to what most people think of as crimes of passion. IE: voices whispering in your head, hallucinations, etc... that you suddenly act upon, not pre-plan for months.

They may be mentally damaged, but even mentally damaged people can and do understand the law on a regular basis and subsequently don't violate it. The insanity defense doesn't really apply to cultists or fanatics, it applies to people who have completely lost perception of reality.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

so i guess now that they are adults they can vote and have sex with other adults, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Exactly.
    Some arbitrary excuse of age does nothing to define how capable someone is of understanding their actions.
    They had full knowledge of their actions, and should be tried accordingly.
    If you are deemed to understand your actions, then you should have to accept the consequences of that.
    Regardless of how old you are.

Then they should have acted like children.
    They did not.

What difference does 1 day or 1 year make between someone being an adult or not.
    It doesn't.
    Their behaviour, what they do or do not understand does not change like that overnight.

Just remove the "adult" distinction.
    Decide on their understanding of the events.
    So i guess everyone whom is charged with sex with an underage person, will have the right to have the person "examined" to see if they were an "adult" or not at the time of the sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    so i guess now that they are adults they can vote and have sex with other adults, right?

- - - Updated - - -

So i guess everyone whom is charged with sex with an underage person, will have the right to have the person "examined" to see if they were an "adult" or not at the time of the sex.
    How did you work that out ?
    I was talking about behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    They, and the victim, were 12 years old at the time of the crime.

12 years olds are by definition not adults. They should be committed to a juvenile psychiatric facility and have a judge regularly review their case.

Deleted
    The thread have been dead for almost a year and a half lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There are some very specific guidelines for when a juvenile can be tried as an adult. It's not just "whenever the hell we feel like it".
    Yes, usually minors have to be age 16 or older and be charged with a serious offense, such as rape or murder. This case involved two 12 year olds who stabbed a fellow classmate 19 times, who survived.

That is not to downplay the seriousness of events but this case does not meet those guidelines. Also we are seeing a trend where minors are being tried as adults more often than they are not. This is due to several legislative changes that came out of the mid 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_as_an_adult

this is a dumb meme.

Why the fuck do people insist that if you cna't vote you're not eligible for equal punishment? Wtf is this mentally retarded way of logic? It's no less wrong to do something just because you can't fucking vote yet, MY GOD. Sure, children shouldn't be punished as harshly for petty crimes like shoplifting or just getting in a fight but when you attempt murder or rape someone you cross a fucking line! It doesn't matter if they doesn't "understand what they're doing" a SIX YEAR OLD know what stabbing someone leads to. Reflect back to your past self, couldn't you understand what murder was when you were in 5th or 6th grade? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

After reading your link I find that 23 states have no minimum age guidelines. After reading this https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta.../938/III/183/4 I see no mention of a minimum age for Wisconsin. Sorry it was actual link to the relevant laws and not Wikipedia.
    Yes, goes rather against the "rather strict guidelines" in your earlier comment, doesn't it? I guess you didn't actually know what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Sure, children shouldn't be punished as harshly for petty crimes like shoplifting or just getting in a fight
    Why not?

but when you attempt murder or rape someone you cross a fucking line! It doesn't matter if they doesn't "understand what they're doing" a SIX YEAR OLD know what stabbing someone leads to. Reflect back to your past self, couldn't you understand what murder was when you were in 5th or 6th grade? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
    Are you saying these twelve year olds should be put to death?

I think the question comes down to whether you believe if prison is meant to rehabilitate or punish.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Why do we even have the whole "You are a minor, tried as a minor," if we regularly just try kids as adults?
    There are very few crimes worth trying someone as a minor for these days. Shit like murder regardless of age should be an instant felony to be treated as though the accused are adults.

Did you read the laws? They have very specific conditions that have to be met. It isn't negated just because they can be under 16.
    Enlighten me, what specific conditions needed to be met for the Slenderman case?

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Why not?

Are you saying these twelve year olds should be put to death?

I think the question comes down to whether you believe if prison is meant to rehabilitate or punish.
    We don't have the death penalty in my country and I'm not for it either so I don't really have to defend that. If they commit murder they should be charged for murder. As I said, there is a line.

Edit: Petty crimes shouldn't be punished as harshly if you're a kid because...they are underdeveloped and these petty crimes aren't as big a "nono" as bloody murder or rape. Again, there is a line.
    Last edited by mittacc; 2016-07-27 at 10:39 PM. Reason: missed first part

Did you read the laws? They have very specific conditions that have to be met. It isn't negated just because they can be under 16.
    Did you read the Wikipedia link Celista put above?

The "strict laws" isn't federal. It depends on the individual state- many do not have any "strict guidelines", and out of the 250,000 youths tried in adult courts every year, 2/3s of them are non-violent (let alone not serious).

In one study, they found over 40% of juveniles being tried as adults simply due to that state's individual law.

Maybe put those two girls in an enclosed area with virtual reality headsets that can't come off. Forced to play slenderman until they die or kill themselves.

Good, I hope they get death sentences. This is literally attempted murder

We don't have the death penalty in my country. If they commit murder they should be charged for murder. As I said, there is a line.
    1) The United States does have the death penalty.
    2) The children have been charged with murder.
    3) The decision to try them in juvenile court or criminal court will determine if they are given a chance to rejoin society. If found guilty in juvenile court, they'll get have their teenage years taken away in jail and given professional help. If tried in criminal court they'll be in jail until their mid 50s.

3) The decision to try them in juvenile court or criminal court will determine if they are given a chance to rejoin society. If found guilty in juvenile court, they'll get have their teenage years taken away in jail and given professional help. If tried in criminal court they'll be in jail until their mid 50s.
    The victim is not dead, they have been charged with first-degree intentional homicide. Which is ridiculous because again, the victim survived.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...tutes/940/I/01

Edit: Petty crimes shouldn't be punished as harshly if you're a kid because...they are underdeveloped and these petty crimes aren't as big a "nono" as bloody murder or rape. Again, there is a line.
    So you're saying a fourteen year old doesn't understand why you shouldn't steal as well as an adult, but a if an eight year old shakes their baby sibling because they're crying, do they get life in jail because they should have known what "shaken baby syndrome" is?

What about kids that have accidentally shot someone with a real gun they thought was unloaded or a toy?

How about mimicking wrestling moves that cause neck injuries?

Are you saying that without meeting these girls, they are not suffering from any mental illnesses and fully understood the concept and gravity of what they're doing, but couldn't do the same when it comes to doing drugs?

Read my edit. Having the death penalty is on you, the Americans, not me. I'm just debating principles. You know that muder is wrong at 12, period. They should be tried as adults for attempted murder. Too bad you guys like the death penalty so much...

Edit: Still, if you murder someone you kinda deserve the death penalty, depending on how and why you murdered said person/s ofc. "Oh, so you decided to take this person's life. Let us take yours!". The reason I'm opposed to death penalty is that people may be falsely convicted.
    Last edited by mittacc; 2016-07-27 at 10:52 PM.