Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Who gives a shit?

What does slavery have anything to do with right now?
    Michelle Obama's quip was to show how far we've come, but it stops there. It isn't some call for national introspection.

Bill O'reilley is a cuck who says ridiculous shit for ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Yeah. Back to O'Reilly more or less saying "slavery wasn't that bad" or I guess "slavery wasn't that bad for some slaves". Yeah being held against my will is great as long as I have food and shelter. Which was probably shit in the first place.
    His logic is pretty much that homeless need to try to rob a bank. If the succeed, they are no longer poor and if they fail, they got a lifetime of free food and shelter.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Saying slavery wasn't bad is kind of a republican tradition. Others include:
    -Questioning what really constitutes rape.
    -Saying reverse racism is the real problem.
    -Receiving cease and desist letters from musicians
    -Loving 1950s stuff. (Maybe we should just have them play fallout?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Saying slavery wasn't bad is kind of a republican tradition. Others include:
    -Questioning what really constitutes rape.
    -Saying reverse racism is the real problem.
    -Receiving cease and desist letters from musicians
    -Loving 1950s stuff. (Maybe we should just have them play fallout?)
    If you take a look at their legislative agenda it seems like they want to make the real US into a Fallout type setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    If that is seriously no joke...I am like WTF and you deserve to have 50 messages in your notification box going "DUUUUUDE...what the hell is wrong with you?" - and if you are serious...go advertise your service as a slave somewhere. I just cannot type WTF enough before my keyboard breaks.
    Conservatives in the US need this, come on, just let them have this one thing - slavery wasn't so bad really, vote Trump!
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    I mean, us vikings pillaging England wasn't that bad, it united them and gave them an added vocabulary and some cool town names. I think England should actually pay us for the great service we did in making their nation strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Old white conservative men should probably not talk positively about slavery.

It never ends well for them.
    im not old nor conservative but i am white!
    and yes slavery in america was a cakewalk compared to the arab slave trade.

far more white slaves than black btw, an entire village in ireland went missing in a single night after being raided my muslim pirates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    yes slavery in america was a cakewalk
    Who are you voting for in November?

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9pDExOpSs

There's his actual clip, it doesn't seem to be about making slavery seem like a good thing at all. It feels like someone questioned her statement, so he's clarifying that it was true, though the government didn't mistreat them and others helped, it was still a time when the government owned slaves.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    im not old nor conservative but i am white!
    and yes slavery in america was a cakewalk compared to the arab slave trade.

far more white slaves than black btw, an entire village in ireland went missing in a single night after being raided my muslim pirates.
    It was not a cake walk, regardless what you are comparing it to. Do you blame Christians for slaves in US or British colonization, because Church of England was intertwined with politics? I don't understand the comparison to Muslims ransacking a village, when not a single person brought up the religion of those colonizing Africa. Quit religion baiting...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Who are you voting for in November?

And when he tells you Gary Johnson, are you going to believe him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

There's his actual clip, it doesn't seem to be about making slavery seem like a good thing at all. It feels like someone questioned her statement, so he's clarifying that it was true, though the government didn't mistreat them and others helped, it was still a time when the government owned slaves.
    That doesn't make any sense...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Bc Bill O'Reilly said it wasnt so bad, man.. come on. Im uneducated and have 0 perspective and empathy, so I let "smarter" people tell me what to think.
    What do you mean? Bill is clearly an educated man.

Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, for those who missed it, Michelle Obama gave her speech at the DNC and one key part was talking about how the White House was built with slaves, but now there is a black president and her black daughters play on the White House lawn.

It was a great speech and shows how far we've come as a nation, so why not find a way to complain about?

In comes Bill O'Reilly...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...eech/87604632/

Remember kids, slavery is only bad if you don't feed or shelter them.

/eyeroll
    So basically you misread a quote and give it your own spin? Granted O'Reilly does that himself so it really makes you no better than him. Nowhere in that quote does he say slavery wasn't that bad. He said that particularly the ones who built the white house had better accommodations than others might have had, but that wasn't even the point. The point was that it wasn't built solely by slaves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Slavery in some ancient cultures was very charitable and was an effective preventer of homelessness.
    This isn't an ancient culture. Or would you like to be owned, raped, bred and worked just because someone gave you food and a place to sleep in?

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

You can't reason with the supposed "left" or "liberals" on these forums or pretty much in the world these days. If a conservative said it, they're trying to re-enslave blacks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    So basically you misread a quote and give it your own spin? Granted O'Reilly does that himself so it really makes you no better than him. Nowhere in that quote does he say slavery wasn't that bad. He said that particularly the ones who built the white house had better accommodations than others might have had, but that wasn't even the point. The point was that it wasn't built solely by slaves.
    Does not compute...

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    This isn't an ancient culture. Or would you like to be owned, raped, bred and worked just because someone gave you food and a place to sleep in?
    That's what happens to conquered people. You know how we got our slaves before we started to breed them? Oh that's right AFRICANS sold them because they were people THEY had as slaves or conquered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Does not compute...
    Sorry you can't read. Perhaps get educated... See i can ... too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's true that slavery in and of itself is not the worst thing that can happen to someone. But that's a pretty damn low bar.

Actually, you know what? Let's push this to the logical extreme and assert that some people would be better off slaves than free. For example; a homeless man would have an objectively better life under regulated slavery (preventing abuse) than eking out an existence on the streets.

I do wonder if it will become legal for individuals to voluntarily sell themselves into slavery in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    You are responding to someone who doesn't understand what gave birth to his own religion. When the bible states God removed you from the shackles, it doesn't mean those shackles were made of fuzzy cuffs.

It seems like Michelle almost thinks that she has something in common with actual slaves lol, like she "practically endured" slavery herself or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Sorry you can't read. Perhaps get educated... See i can ... too.
    That's a hell of an explanation of how you say both, that he didn't say slavery wasn't so bad, while saying the slaves who built the White House were not treated so bad. I don't know what you can "too", but it's obviously not the ability to explain what you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were to take it a step further, I might actually argue that the 'wage slavery' we see in many unskilled professions is often worse than canonical slavery, because employers of wage slaves don't have an incentive to take care of their employees since the employee only has value in the work they do (whereas slaves are capital).