Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    oh yeah but for example a patchwork fight ... those talents would be absolutely useless
    Right, which is why 1) there's usually only one of those per raid instance and 2) you've got talents like Soul Effigy.

Again, strengths and weaknesses. No one is supposed to shine in every situation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    Right, which is why 1) there's usually only one of those per raid instance and 2) you've got talents like Soul Effigy.

Again, strengths and weaknesses. No one is supposed to shine in every situation.
    that is very true

(except for mages they alway shine in every situation ^___^)

Normally it isn't a problem. I would just switch a spec if I realize one spec is heavily underperforming. The big but with LEGION is artifact weapons. If I have a destro weapon with lots of artifact power in it and I want to switch to affliction because I realize destro doesn't scale well with gear or is heavily underperforming or isn't fun .. then chances are affliction with no artifact power points does even less damage at that point

Deleted
    that is very true

(except for mages they alway shine in every situation ^___^)

Normally it isn't a problem. I would just switch a spec if I realize one spec is heavily underperforming. The big but with LEGION is artifact weapons. If I have a destro weapon with lots of artifact power in it and I want to switch to affliction because I realize destro doesn't scale well with gear or is heavily underperforming or isn't fun .. then chances are affliction with no artifact power points does even less damage at that point
    While I understand your frustration, it also has it perks. It makes your "main spec" has additional power, favoring it in situations where the other spec might be slightly ahead.

What to do will come down to tuning. The safe bet is most likely destruction, but I am confident that being a mainspec Aff/offspec destro will also be viable, as most bosses should be ok as aff (assuming scaling is ok). Ofc there is some outliers like Ilgynoth (I guess it depends on how long the adds are alive).

My main concern is mythic+ as Affliction - which is most likely going to be severely behind destruction. I adore Affliction, and would prefer to play it - but will prob play my mage instead if it is severely lacking behind destruction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    While I understand your frustration, it also has it perks. It makes your "main spec" has additional power, favoring it in situations where the other spec might be slightly ahead.

What to do will come down to tuning. The safe bet is most likely destruction, but I am confident that being a mainspec Aff/offspec destro will also be viable, as most bosses should be ok as aff (assuming scaling is ok). Ofc there is some outliers like Ilgynoth (I guess it depends on how long the adds are alive).

My main concern is mythic+ as Affliction - which is most likely going to be severely behind destruction. I adore Affliction, and would prefer to play it - but will prob play my mage instead if it is severely lacking behind destruction.
    affliction looks fun for LEGION PvP. would be sad if AFFL is bad in PvE, because then I'd raid as destro and play pvp as affliction ... making me basically halving all my artifact power

affliction looks fun for LEGION PvP. would be sad if AFFL is bad in PvE, because then I'd raid as destro and play pvp as affliction ... making me basically halving all my artifact power
    What people don't seem to realize yet is that the artifact's strengths are in the passive 3 pointers not the golden rings, once you understand the true power(of the dark side) of soul reap, it is terrifyingly strong. it's just that people are tunneling too hard on the flashy golden dragon rings atm because they expect a certain power up to happen when they pick said flashy rings, I mean it's there and flashy so it must be strong, sadly that isn't really the case for affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by solshine2510 View Post
    Does pandemia point apply to Siphon Life? Just askinc because SP timers show it for all 3 DoTs but this one.
    SP timers? What is that? I would love timers which showed Pandemic effects like affdots did

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    What people don't seem to realize yet is that the artifact's strengths are in the passive 3 pointers not the golden rings, once you understand the true power(of the dark side) of soul reap, it is terrifyingly strong. it's just that people are tunneling too hard on the flashy golden dragon rings atm because they expect a certain power up to happen when they pick said flashy rings, I mean it's there and flashy so it must be strong, sadly that isn't really the case for affliction.
    Reap Soul also isnt working properly on Beta last time it was checked. Which means there are more improvements to be had

Quote Originally Posted by CuchuCachu View Post
    SP timers? What is that? I would love timers which showed Pandemic effects like affdots did

- - - Updated - - -

Reap Soul also isnt working properly on Beta last time it was checked. Which means there are more improvements to be had
    It bugs sometimes, but when it doesn't it's insanely good, though bugs will be fixed don't you worry about that, they don't wait long when it comes to things that directly impact high end raiding, unlike pvp

Reap soul has no cd, and even if you don't kill anything you passive generate your own souls, which makes it's usage quite flexible, I think most people aren't considering the impact it can do with proper timing on things.

7+ Year Old Account
    If I take Grimoire of Supremacy on my afflic lock, which pet should I use for groups and which for solo? I'm referring to the Doomguard/Infernal of course. Couldn't seem to find anything on wowpedia or wowhead about which one is the tanking pet and which is for dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    If I take Grimoire of Supremacy on my afflic lock, which pet should I use for groups and which for solo? I'm referring to the Doomguard/Infernal of course. Couldn't seem to find anything on wowpedia or wowhead about which one is the tanking pet and which is for dps.
    If you summon the Infernal and look at its spells you have your answer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    If you summon the Infernal and look at its spells you have your answer.
    Ok, thank you. This is my first warlock. Still trying to decide between supremacy and sacrifice.

GoSup infernal is for both solo tanking and AoE. As long as you turn off the taunt and threat aura it'll be fine to use in groups when appropriate. The doomguard is used for single-target DPS.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    GoSup infernal is for both solo tanking and AoE. As long as you turn off the taunt and threat aura it'll be fine to use in groups when appropriate. The doomguard is used for single-target DPS.
    Thank you too. I suppose I'm leaning towards GoSup. Sacrifice seems cool ( eat your demons soul lol) but some people have told me it's pretty weak since the prepatch compared to before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    Bit of a tangent to affliction stuff, but how many targets does it take for the infernal to win out these days? I know pre-patch it was something absurd like 8 for a lengthy time?

I imagine that's fixed, but does anyone have numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Bit of a tangent to affliction stuff, but how many targets does it take for the infernal to win out these days? I know pre-patch it was something absurd like 8 for a lengthy time?

I imagine that's fixed, but does anyone have numbers?
    Well, the doomguard's Doom Bolt is 190% sp / 3 seconds, and the infernal's Immolation Aura is 45% sp / 2 seconds (plus a bit more from awakening and melee damage). Eyeballing it, infernal should pull ahead at 3+ targets, which sounds about right as most AoEs appear to be balanced around 3-4+ targets now.

It bugs sometimes, but when it doesn't it's insanely good, though bugs will be fixed don't you worry about that, they don't wait long when it comes to things that directly impact high end raiding, unlike pvp

Reap soul has no cd, and even if you don't kill anything you passive generate your own souls, which makes it's usage quite flexible, I think most people aren't considering the impact it can do with proper timing on things.
    Our single target dps is looking good then? Affliction and Destro are sufficiently versatile so all we need is that last box checked. Though I realize it is too early to say

Quote Originally Posted by CuchuCachu View Post
    Our single target dps is looking good then? Affliction and Destro are sufficiently versatile so all we need is that last box checked. Though I realize it is too early to say
    Well I expect affli to scale higher than destro on ST, as long as that immolate bug is fixed.

As for overall ST , meh I can't really say, honestly I would be grasping at straws if I gave you an answer to that but if I would to make an estimated guess I believe affliction can still be relatively close to top line with a ST build ( though I doubt it will be N1 ST ).

While Destro will be good at ST , amazingly good at cleaves and relatively good at aoe, basically a very polished well rounded spec.
    Last edited by wholol; 2016-07-28 at 04:10 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh, I thought they removed the passive generation.. Is it still the "rumored" one soul every 40 secs or so, or is it that 4.5 PPM?

Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    Oh, I thought they removed the passive generation.. Is it still the "rumored" one soul every 40 secs or so, or is it that 4.5 PPM?
    Well in a very low death environment like arenas ( where death usually means the end of the match ), it does seem to proc a tad more than every 40 secs, or it could be my imagination, I can't be sure.

So, I'm wondering about a spec for Affliction leveling right now (for 100-110 obviously). Of course nothing really matters at this point because literally any spec would work, but I like to optimize and I'm planning to do so when I level. I figure the fastest way to go about it is, if possible, mass multi-dotting, primarily with instant casts alone.

For that, I figure the following talents would be best:

Level 15: Writhe in Agony

The other choices just have a cast time, and are not worth it. Haunt might be worth considering, if and only if the mobs we're fighting have too much HP to die from our instant cast DoTs alone.

Level 30: Absolute Corruption

Definitely the go-to choice in my opinion, as we're going to want to DoT/DoT/DoT/tab/repeat. A permanent Corruption with higher damage will probably lead to it being our highest output spell.

Level 45: Demon Skin

Only real choice.

Level 60: Siphon Life

Another instant cast DoT, and everything else on this tier seems irrelevant. A big AoE pull would work well with Sow the Seeds, but mobs aren't going to live long enough I imagine.

Level 75: Burning Rush

Faster run speed is better. We don't need survivability while leveling.

Level 90: Grimoire of Supremacy

Probably the best with an Infernal pet. Infernal does good AoE damage and taunts as well.

Level 100: Soul Effigy?

It's hard to even tell here. We're generally not going to be using Soul Shards I imagine, and Phantom Singularity is garbage. For a longer boss fight Soul Effigy would be a real DPS boost.

If anyone has any other input on this I'd like to hear it. This seems to make the most sense to me atm.

I get the feeling demo will be our "st spec", considering its mechanics don't really lend to it being able to do cleave / multi-dot well. Though I've seen solid results out of aff / destro for ST.

My guess is at the end of the day demo will be stronger for ST but weaker at cleave and multi-dot which are destro and aff's niches respectively. And all 3 will be ok at aoe, with aff having the add death cheese for fights like scorp.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.