Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    $300-$400 a week? My boyfriend is a server and takes that home in 3 shifts lol
    how long are his shifts? And is he a server or bar tender? Also what scale of a place is it? What location?

The figures I used are generalized. I served in several locations, and different types of places. From the conversations i've had with others in the industry, and from my own personal experience, I feel my generalization is quite fair.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    how long are his shifts? And is he a server or bar tender? Also what scale of a place is it? What location?

The figures I used are generalized. I served in several locations, and different types of places. From the conversations I've had with others in the industry, and from my own personal experience, I feel my generalization is quite fair.
    He typically works 5-8 or 5-9 depending on how busy. He never closes, and works days as a kitchen staff at another restaurant (where he doesn't receive tips). He works for a local fish and chip place, not a bartender but does serve alcohol at the tables.

After seeing the wads of cash he pulls out at the end of some shifts I've regretted getting into IT. lol
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Well. RIP. Their customer service skills were atrocious, and I'm saying that knowing full well how much of a handful some customers may be. Their behavior was not justified.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    That was my second favorite kitchen nightmare episode lol.
    Whoa, was there a restaurant WORSE than Amy's? Which one?

10+ Year Old Account
    For example, at Cheese Cake Factory (high tickets, large parties, high traffic) I could make $600 a week working lunch shifts only. But at TGI Friday, I would be making closer to $400 a week working nights and weekends. At a small bistro in town, I was making far less because the volume was very low, and food was cheap and drinks were mostly bar patrons. Then I got to serve at Maggiano's, which was family style dining, so there were always parties of 10+. That place was an easy $600 a week, but I had to work nights since their lunches were not really seating 10 people at 1 table.

There are many variables to consider to make my generalization understandable.

- - - Updated - - -

He typically works 5-8 or 5-9 depending on how busy. He never closes, and works days as a kitchen staff at another restaurant (where he doesn't receive tips). He works for a local fish and chip place, not a bartender but does serve alcohol at the tables.

After seeing the wads of cash he pulls out at the end of some shifts I've regretted getting into IT. lol
    I was making 1/2 what I make now that I am in IT, lol.

He definitely sounds like he is at a hopping joint if it is a cheap place to eat (I can't imagine a fish and chips place is pricey). The guest volume must be pretty high.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well. RIP. Their customer service skills were atrocious, and I'm saying that knowing full well how much of a handful some customers may be. Their behavior was not justified.

Whoa, was there a restaurant WORSE than Amy's? Which one?
    The first episode had some 20 year old chef who was just clueless. He cooked Ramsay a raw dish (scallops I think) and he started puking in the ally out back. I couldn't stop laughing, that's what got me hooked on Gordon Ramsay shows. The first season was the best, it was in Europe and it was uncensored.

... I haven't sat down to watch a single episode of that show, but I still remember seeing her years ago... Her eyes scare the hell out of me!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For example, at Cheese Cake Factory (high tickets, large parties, high traffic) I could make $600 a week working lunch shifts only. But at TGI Friday, I would be making closer to $400 a week working nights and weekends. At a small bistro in town, I was making far less because the volume was very low, and food was cheap and drinks were mostly bar patrons. Then I got to serve at Maggiano's, which was family style dining, so there were always parties of 10+. That place was an easy $600 a week, but I had to work nights since their lunches were not really seating 10 people at 1 table.

There are many variables to consider to make my generalization understandable.

- - - Updated - - -

I was making 1/2 what I make now that I am in IT, lol.

He definitely sounds like he is at a hopping joint if it is a cheap place to eat (I can't imagine a fish and chips place is pricey). The guest volume must be pretty high.
    To be fair I'm in QA so not the high end payscale of IT, and I probably do make more than him it just seems like a lot because he always has wads of cash and huge portions of my pay cheques go to debt repayment.

It's a bit pricey for fish and chips, I think most meals are around $14 - $15 more for more premium fish types. Though it is very good food and is a busy place.

- - - Updated - - -

The first episode had some 20 year old chef who was just clueless. He cooked Ramsay a raw dish (scallops I think) and he started puking in the ally out back. I couldn't stop laughing, that's what got me hooked on Gordon Ramsay shows. The first season was the best, it was in Europe and it was uncensored.
    Most european shows are uncensored. I've seen full frontal nudity on Big Brother UK.

8-12hr is a 376-563% increase from 2.13

Math is your friend
    Reading comprehension apparently isn't yours though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

That was my second favorite kitchen nightmare episode lol. One thing I didn't agree with though was the slack they caught for not allowing waitress to keep tips, they paid them a fair salary, the only thing they did wrong was telling customers they shouldn't tip
    whats the best episode if not battletoads? FeelsGoodMan

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um you might want to read that again, they had the option to prosecute the waitress that pocket the tips.
    And they would have been laughed out of court since the contract they had the employee sign was in violation of the law itself for what they "could" have prosecuted her for. They would have most likely been fined by the courts themselves if they wanted to try and file suit against the waitress for taking a tip from a customer.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    As was said there's a difference between:

A company that pays their staff a living wage/benefits, and informs their customers that they do not accept tips.

and

A company that pays their staff a living wage/benefits, but does not inform their customers and steals the tips the customer left for the server, not the owners.
    That has nothing to do with the point of my post. You must have only read the first line.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dyzz View Post
    That has nothing to do with the point of my post. You must have only read the first line.
    You made 2 points:

Laughing at people who don't think it's right that the ABC owners were keeping tips even though they don't like the rip system

And that you prefer the current system over a higher wage.

I only commented on the first point because the second is your opinion.

Does it still belong to the employee if a contract was signed that they wouldn't accept tips?

No contract can remove any federal/state protected right. Landlords are the worst offenders when it comes to unenforceable contracts. My own lease has a clause that says they will keep $100 of the depost when we move out in order to paint. Except under state law and fed law, walls needing a fresh coat of paint is considered normal wear and tear. If you damage them it's one thing and even then, a detailed invoice and estimate is required. But you can't just keep part of someone's security deposit to repaint.

An old landlord tried to make us pay for new carpeting after we moved out after 10 years. Too bad for them that's another normal wear and tear thing and the carpet only was rated for 5 years.

When we move out we are fully prepared to take them to court if they try to keep the money to paint. Unfortunately most people sign away on the dotted line without ever reading or never do their own research and get hosed in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    8-12hr is a 376-563% increase from 2.13

Math is your friend
    Oh i thought you meant it's a higher wage in the sense that it is decent. Well yeah strictly mathematically it is higher, then again 2.14 would also be higher and your comment would still make no sense, since logic should also be your friend you should maybe consider that this has zero relevance because it is still too low for a normal living, so they would still need tips. Also where do you have this magical 2.13 $ / h? Because that seems fucking low even for the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b4dcrc View Post
    Also where do you have this magical 2.13 $ / h? Because that seems fucking low even for the US.
    $2.13/hour is the US federal minimum wage for employees that receive tips.

Legally, if the tips fall short of the amount needed to be equivalent to the full minimum wage ($7.25/hour) for the hours worked, the employer is required to make up the difference, but if you believe that that actually happens, I have several bridges and some oceanfront property in Austria to sell you.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I still think one night of drunken sex with Amy would be great. Crazy in the head means crazy in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    [video=youtube;R8yVAxkmYPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yVAxkmYPE
    Yes! That's the one lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Reading comprehension apparently isn't yours though.
    Are you upset because I pointed how wrong you are?

When you pay someone who lives off tips, you pay them 2.13hr, they where making something like 9.50hr, if they took the tips and didn't report them on their taxes they are breaking the law. But then again so is the restaurant if they are not reporting tips they took for themselves. Either way there should have been a sign up saying tipping is not required.
    No. Thats what you do if your a shity company. Luckily alot of states have laws stating at no point can you be paid below the Min wage regardless of if you receive tips or not.

Read this non-fiction book "Kitchen Confidential" written by a chef. He talks about a restaurant manager who used to have spies who worked at other restaurants, when these spies reported to him, telling him about new menu items or whatever, he would reward them with gifts like gold watches or jewelry.

Restaurant business is crazy competitive.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    My cousin worked at a high price restaurant, was in college and drove a sweet BMW, you do good at the right place. He's now a professor at a university.

One thing I learned from all of this is that when you tip by credit card they can take out the CC fee out of your tip, I didn't know that, ill have to remember to tip with cash from now on...
    That's why I only tip cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.