Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by badzerath View Post
    So, he presents factual information about the construction of the white house and you turn that into a strawman.

Standard.
    Is he making a srawman of what a slave is or is Billo making a strawman of a well treated slave?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

the point

his head
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    No, they voted for him because he was anti establishment. You don't get it because you are happy with how the establishment in both parties fucked us voters over the last 20 years.
    The same 20 years Trump has had Clintons as his friends and jumped between parties funding the very corrupt pockets of politicians? Thinking Trump is antiestablishment, is like complaining that the executioner is killing people, while celebrating the guy who signed the death warrant.

The point of his campaign is jobs. He appeals to people who have seen their jobs outsourced. He can't bring them back, but the people who are unemployed or underemployed don't want to hear that. They want jobs.
    He can bring them back, if he didn't have his manufacturing in China. Unlike any presidential candidate in history, Trump is the only candidate that can litteraly bring jobs back to US by changing his business model. The people whose jobs have been outsourced, would be voting for the guy who outsourced jobs. Bush, Clinton, Obama, Reagan, Carter, Nixon didn't outsource the jobs them selfs... Trump does...

https://youtu.be/SYoOPgeTMQc

Shrug along with him... Wouldn't it be great if the #1 tie in the world be made in US? The sort of jobs Trump keeps in US are teachers at Trump U, that specifically were instructed to rip off people who would spend thousands because they believed and trusted Trump...
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-07-28 at 02:34 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

It's amazing that some of you can condone slavery or feel that slavery wasn't that bad but I'm sure most of your own cultures balked at indentured servitude, that you were put into for crimes that were commited or debts owed, and let's not forget the Asians who were forced to help build the railroads. Sure, they got paid, after the fact, but they were seperated from their families and put in something akin to concentration camps. Slavery is slavery and it has never been good for anyone, not even the slavers because they are now reaping what they sowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaigirl View Post
    It's amazing that some of you can condone slavery or feel that slavery wasn't that bad but I'm sure most of your own cultures balked at indentured servitude, that you were put into for crimes that were commited or debts owed, and let's not forget the Asians who were forced to help build the railroads. Sure, they got paid, after the fact, but they were seperated from their families and put in something akin to concentration camps. Slavery is slavery and it has never been good for anyone, not even the slavers because they are now reaping what they sowed.
    I just want to welcome new folks! Hello and enjoy your stay! We are mostly harmless...

Slavery is still going on today in Africa. If Michelle Obama is really against it, well her husband is the President of the United States lol, I'm sure the guy could do something.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Slavery is still going on today in Africa. If Michelle Obama is really against it, well her husband is the President of the United States lol, I'm sure the guy could do something.
    The world (according to these forums) doesn't take kindly to the US meddling in others' affairs. Probably don't want to stir up another hornets' nest by going to war against the African rebels too.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    Really? What did the Democrats say this time?
    Absolutely right, the Democrats were pro segregation in the 60's, not the Republican Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Absolutely right, the Democrats were pro segregation in the 60's, not the Republican Party.
    Southern Democrats were pro segregation. So were Southern Republicans. As more and more Northern US people joined the Democratic party the less racist it became. Eventually there were squeezed out by the time the Voting and Civil Rights Acts came about. Many of these people slowly over time joined the Republican Party who seemed willing to adopt them.

Furthermore, the Democrats used to be the party of Social Conservatism. Now which modern political party is socially conservative?

If the Republicans are so against racism they would've kicked the likes of Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms to the curb. Right?

Now which party supports state rights? I wonder why they would do that? No need to pay attention to any pesky federal laws regarding voting rules and discrimination laws if the states are allowed to do what they want.

At least they don't support obvious symbols of racism like a certain battle standards of a foreign nation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post
    also slavery was better for the blacks then what they have today in some aspects.....*NOTE I AM NOT SAYING SLAVERY WAS GOOD*

people love to go on about how families were torn apart as slaves...... but black children today are less likely to grow up with 2 parents today then as slaves....... soo yeah..... very bad
    I'm pretty fucking sure most blacks without two parents would prefer to have only one parent and be free versus having both parents and being a slave. Your comments just blow my mind, but then again you named yourself after Arthas which makes me think you're rather young so I suppose that's why you'd think this way.

Seriously though this would be like saying that slavery had benefits because blacks had jobs to do back then whereas now they don't get to experience a hard days work!

Did we have as much crime then as we do now?

Quote Originally Posted by squashdouche View Post
    Did we have as much crime then as we do now?
    More. Crime has been on a decline for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorn View Post
    False Humphrey was so unpopular an independent won states Nixon had nothing to do with it. The Democrats were the party of Vietnam and racial violence at the time thats why they lost so big.

Wallace wasn't really an Independant. In fact he wasn't an Independant at all in today's sense. He belonged to a party spinned off of the Democratic Party that favored segregation. Which is why he won the south Bible Belt states because they loved them the idea of keeping blacks away from whites. And Nixon won because of the 1968 DNC convention. Democrats losing had less to do with racial violence and everything to do with bad candidates and LBJ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No problem...
    Yeah, I was being facetious. But you knew that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    This isn't an ancient culture.
    Very astute.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    So you're also blaming white people for everything wrong with Africa? For fucks sake.
    Wait do you not think taking a shit ton of people from the continent, and then colonizing them in no way affected several countries or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    People sold people. That is the slave trade. You can dress it up in different names if you want, you can say it was different when white people did it if you want, but ultimately it always comes down to people selling people. It has existed since the dawn of time, and it exists to this day. The only reason it is not as widespread as it used to be is due to the influence of white people.
    The atlantic slave trade took slavery to an entirely new and abhornat level for that time.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    k im asian brown and not rich.

slavery was the greatest thing to happen to blacks in america. if not for slavery they simply would not exist. how is that not bad? many people have the facts of slavery wrong. blacks were able to own blacks. blacks were able to read, write and even become lawyers/lawmakers. blacks were able to buy their freedom or be freed at theirs master's discretion which happened quite often. at the inception of USA slavery was banned in many states. people dont even know that, they think slavery was everywhere in USA. so many mistakes by people that refuse to listen and just want to label it "horrible". look at the people living in africa right NOW. that is HORRIBLE. get over it black people in america, you have it good and all due to slavery.

- - - Updated - - -

sacrificed to the gods? wtf is this shit? such ignorance

slaves were money. do you take money and burn it as a sacrifice to the gods? neither did they...

- - - Updated - - -

they have their land. more than enough for what is left of their population after the genocide they suffered. (shit happens)

- - - Updated - - -

both false...

- - - Updated - - -

jaw drops

are you serious?>> do you not study history at all? ffs people are just being stupid on purpose tonight.
    It seems you don't, I am sure you think santa and the dinosaurs just gifted all of these things to us.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, for those who missed it, Michelle Obama gave her speech at the DNC and one key part was talking about how the White House was built with slaves, but now there is a black president and her black daughters play on the White House lawn.

It was a great speech and shows how far we've come as a nation, so why not find a way to complain about?

In comes Bill O'Reilly...

"I wake up every morning in a house that was built by slaves," Mrs. Obama said in her keynote address. "I watch my daughters — two beautiful, intelligent, black young women — playing with their dogs on the White House lawn."

As it turned out, one person was not entirely amused and went so far as to "fact check" the first lady's comments.

FOX News personality and political lightning rod Bill O'Reilly defended the working conditions slaves faced while building the White House by offering the following explanation during The O'Reilly Factor on Tuesday:
    "Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor. So, Michelle Obama is essentially correct in citing slaves as builders of the White House, but there were others working as well. Got it all? There will be a quiz."

Remember kids, slavery is only bad if you don't feed or shelter them.

/eyeroll
    are you saying that when someone is well known for news analysis and writing wildly successful history books says "Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government," (it being a statement that is comparing their situation to other slaves country) is the same as "slavery wasnt that bad"? serious question. i may be missing something.
    Last edited by waitwutt; 2016-07-28 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    I'm pretty fucking sure most blacks without two parents would prefer to have only one parent and be free versus having both parents and being a slave. Your comments just blow my mind, but then again you named yourself after Arthas which makes me think you're rather young so I suppose that's why you'd think this way.

Seriously though this would be like saying that slavery had benefits because blacks had jobs to do back then whereas now they don't get to experience a hard days work!
    what they want and what they are better off with is often two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Wait do you not think taking a shit ton of people from the continent, and then colonizing them in no way affected several countries or something?

- - - Updated - - -

The atlantic slave trade took slavery to an entirely new and abhornat level for that time.
    before that? how did they allow a small foreign force to do this? why did they help a foreign force do this??? surely something was gained.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yes it did, but it was only through the morality of the supposed "evil whites" that it ended. The noble African sold his brother to the slaver, and continues to do so to this day.

That is why Africa is a shithole, the rest of the world advanced, they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Yes it did, but it was only through the morality of the supposed "evil whites" that it ended. The noble African sold his brother to the slaver, and continues to do so to this day.

That is why Africa is a shithole, the rest of the world advanced, they didn't.
    Africa is a disaster because of colonialism. It's a mishmash of countries that are organized specifically to extract wealth and maintain power over a less than co-operative populace. That's why there are so many kleptocratic dictatorships in Africa. The infrastructure and institutional organizations have been set up for them.