Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Civilized People in South Africa tip 10% of the Bill. I say Civilized because there are people that wont tip and as someone that worked as a Waiter for many years in a Popular Steak House Franchise here in SA. I say F..k You. Now im sure someone already tried to swing that Reservoir Dogs BS that Mr Pink rants about but he died so fk him too..

Tipping is basically the key earner of a waiter, they are on their feet all day, and have to deal with difficult people. Wages are handed over on a Weekly / Monthly cycle and during that working month atleast the waiter gets to go home wit a few coins in their pocket from tips after a shift.

I say make 10% Gratitude a mandatory on any bill with a table of 4 or more ppl.

oh ya.. and the waiters gender/race/religion shouldnt matter, you just being a c*nt for even asking that question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelycia View Post
    What would a bartender get paid where you are from? I am really curious about this too. It would be really nice if people didn't look down on me, just because I choose to be a bartender, and a bar owner. I have been in the service industry for about 15 years now, and I love it, but people always ask me "what will I do when I grow up..." As if I am not already a grown up, with a degree in computer science. I just choose not to sit behind a desk, and rather socialize with people and be up and moving 100% of the time.

Also, to the people from the US, I am disappointed in you guys. The standard rate of tipping is 20%, not 10%, not 5%. It doesn't matter what sex, race, or religion said person is, you still tip at least 20%. The only caveat to this for me is if the service is REALLY bad. The server didn't refill drinks, didn't get our order put in, and so on. In this case I will tip a lot less, but I still tip, so they can make the money they need to survive. It's no wonder with the lot of you, it's hard to make a living wage in the industry.
    First, I'm tired of servers attempting to change the standard. The thing with percentages and inflation, is that since you make a percentage of the sale as a tip, your wages scale with inflation better than just about any other profession.

Google Search: U.S. tipping standard

"For waiters at sit-down restaurants, bartenders, barbers/hairdressers/attendants at beauty salons, taxi drivers, tour guides, and food delivery folks, the tip should be calculated as a percentage of your total bill as follows: 10% usually means you aren't totally happy, 15% usually means all was acceptable, 20% for ..." the cut off part is meant to say for excellent service.

20% has never been, and should never be the standard. 15% is. 20+% is reserved for better than expected service.

As for how much bar tenders make. I don't know the exact answer because I believe it varies. At a chain restaurant like Apple Bees or whatever I think they make 2.13 an hour as well, but get double tipped. They benefit from tip share as they have to run the service bar for drinks ordered from tables. And they also get their regular tips from their bar patrons. And pending on the place, they may also serve tables in the bar area, making additional tips from that as well.

Generally, bar tenders are the second best payed position in a restaurant, only behind the managers.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    United States tip should be 20 percent about the same percentage that an MMO-C thread will be filled with a bunch of bigot idiots. Why don't you start considering other people you might offend before you write some dumb shit like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    I tip in most places. The reason you don't see many of the other brits saying they do is because their dining out probably is limited to Weatherspoons (chain pub shitty pre prepped food) I'd only not tip in a proper restaurant if the service was bad.

Curiously in the UK we discretionary tip bar staff especially when you are a regular in a pub/bar. It doesn't usually work as a percentage thing. e.g. when buying a round you might say "and yours". traditionally this was you buying a drink (when they were far cheaper in real terms) for the server but they could choose to keep the cash instead. What happens now is most places/staff will have "an amount" that "yours" means. Generally nobody takes the piss and takes far less than even the cheapest drink would be. The thinking is probably that you will then tip each time you buy or tell them to keep the change.
    Oh that's cool. I sort of like how that works.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    I tip in most places. I'd only not tip in a proper restaurant if the service was bad.
    Same. I'm kinda surprised to see a lot of Brits here saying they don't tip even for good service. Especially when you go out in a big party and spend a lot, where someone's running around all evening making sure you all have everything, I'd feel like a dick not giving them a lil' extra.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-07-28 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creonptc View Post
    United States tip should be 20 percent about the same percentage that an MMO-C thread will be filled with a bunch of bigot idiots. Why don't you start considering other people you might offend before you write some dumb shit like this.
    If you are tipping 20% on average service, you are throwing money away.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I waited table for years they make 2/hr its their livelyhood I don't think its throwing money away at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Then dont expect tip, hell dont expect most people to even care what you say when you have a fully covered face. Unless you hold a gun, most people will instantly write you off as a person even if its not conscious until they see your actual face.
    That is part of the reason they have to cover their face. They come from a patriachal society that made women cover up so:

1) other men can't "check out" your wife and daughters

2) to devalue women as people so that they would be subservient

I understand it has become a "religious" tradition, but it is a bit out dated. As for a tip, if the serve is good I would tip- I am at the restaurant for good food and service, not really to look at someone's face. If she shook the boobs a little and they were nice, I might throw a bit of an extra tip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creonptc View Post
    I waited table for years they make 2/hr its their livelyhood I don't think its throwing money away at all.
    I did so for 7 years. I know the industry quite well. 15% is the standard. It is generally the under 25 youth who are attempting to change it to 20%.

Which as I explained, it is one of the only jobs which keeps up with inflation since their wages are percentage based. At 15% on each check, they are doing just fine. Likely making more money than most recent college graduates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Suggested tip in the USA is 20%. I have a little checklist:

1) server was polite
    2) service was in a reasonable amount of time
    3) order was correct or any mistakes were correctly handled

If the server can meet those requirements, I tip 20%

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    That is part of the reason they have to cover their face. They come from a patriachal society that made women cover up so:

1) other men can't "check out" your wife and daughters

2) to devalue women as people so that they would be subservient

I understand it has become a "religious" tradition, but it is a bit out dated. As for a tip, if the serve is good I would tip- I am at the restaurant for good food and service, not really to look at someone's face. If she shook the boobs a little and they were nice, I might throw a bit of an extra tip.
    That sounds horribly sexist. I feel ashamed on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    She had huge boobs, but couldn't see her face. 10%? 20?
    You sound like a damn pervert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Wait.

Do people not tip in the UK?

I've never been there so it's a serious question lol
    We do, but it's not like over in the US. We tip if we feel the service was worth the tip. As one or two others have said, waiters/waitresses get payed at least minimum wage by law. I think that's around about £7.00 per hour or so, I'm not 100% sure what our national minimum wage is.
    Last edited by 3DTyrant; 2016-07-28 at 01:28 PM.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Suggested tip in the USA is 20%. I have a little checklist:

1) server was polite
    2) service was in a reasonable amount of time
    3) order was correct or any mistakes were correctly handled

If the server can meet those requirements, I tip 20%
    Google U.S. tipping standard. 20% is not the standard. 15% is.

The check list you provided is only doing what is expected. 20% should be reserved for above and beyond service.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    She had huge boobs, but couldn't see her face. 10%? 20?
    Why should you tip someone because she has tits? Honestly, I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    It's not socially compulsory in the UK, that's nothing to do with the Muslim part.

OT: Quality troll post and I'm amazed how many legit went for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    Because some people have a slight thought that the waitress might find them attractive or nice and want to talk them beyond serving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trolling the forum is not acceptable.

Closing.