Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Dude. Police can arrest you before you've been convicted of anything. They don't need to prove you guilty to do that.

This is so obvious that I have to wonder at how you imagine it was otherwise.

If the reports say the person is armed... the police are not going to ask questions... you will be faceplanted in the mud and cuffed or shot if you do not comply.

If enough people report a person for belligerent behavior, consider the temporary silence as a faceplant by the cops. You may not like it.. but we all just want to get home safely tonight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Why do you people still play their shit? Do you honestly expect Blizzard to not either over react or under compensate? Given the history? There is no middle with them. Yet... here we go again.
    Why do you come to WoW forums if you don't like them or play their games?

And no I haven't been silenced, I generally avoid trade and if I do chat in it I am not a dick.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It's like thinking that the police shouldn't be able to arrest people, because false reports would be abused.

What it ignores is the obvious control mechanism of penalties for malicious reports.
    Except in this case, the police (the silencing system) are robots, with predetermined criteria as to what to silence provided by citizens (players) and not the law enforcement themselves (Blizzard GMs), with no ability to discern valid silences vs. trolling/abuse of the system. Which, had the system been delivered as explained (where GMs or such would review the reports prior to handing out the penalties), aka the control mechanism you speak of, the issue of false reports would likely not exist. I say largely, because people are prone to error, too, but I'd take my chances with people.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2016-07-28 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Look I don't get why we needed the "silence" automated I mean:

Old system: You start random abuse !@#$%$ etc. ---> Reported by victim. 24/48h later warning/ban. ---> hopefully lesson learned

New system: You say something that could or could not be abuse ---> Gank reported ---> Silence triggered ---> appeal silence because wrongful and/or silenced rightfully. ---> 24h later you re back. Gank reported by the same people because they now want you dead. 48h silence. ----> appeal silence ---> wait while silenced for GMs to investigate.---> appeals lifted. ----> back in game. ----> New report by the haters because why not. 96h silence. ----> appeal silence---> etc etc etc.

Massive abuse potential. In the hands of players. Yeah ok what could go wrong.
    We don't need it. It's Blizzard who need it. They are doing it to save costs (they want to minimize time they spend on such issues and try having players self-police).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    If the reports say the person is armed... the police are not going to ask questions... you will be faceplanted in the mud and cuffed or shot if you do not comply.

If enough people report a person for belligerent behavior, consider the temporary silence as a faceplant by the cops. You may not like it.. but we all just want to get home safely tonight.
    Yes, IF I DON'T COMPLY. And after that they search me, and if they don't find a gun, THEY have a PROBLEM.

If I comply, they don't do anything to me, search me and find out if I was armed or not.

And like @rda pointed out, we are not talking about cops doing that but just regular citizens. Would you be okay with your neighbour faceplanting you, handcuffing you and taking you to jail? I don't think so.

What matters is that you used those words. You lack the moral fibre to judge others. Saddest thing of all though is you clearly lack the ability to comprehend that what you say =/= your actions. Funny nonetheless. But still sad.
    So going by your logic... because I used words that "triggered" you... I lack moral fibre... regardless of the context. Secondly, you claim I lack comprehension because I refuse to be a hypocrite and actually live by what I say. Someone here is a very sad person but it is not I.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Yes, IF I DON'T COMPLY. And after that they search me, and if they don't find a gun, THEY have a PROBLEM.

If I comply, they don't do anything to me, search me and find out if I was armed or not.

And like @rda pointed out, we are not talking about cops doing that but just regular citizens. Would you be okay with your neighbour faceplanting you, handcuffing you and taking you to jail? I don't think so.
    If I am belligerently or drunkenly prancing down main street and screaming obscenities at my neighbors, making threats, belittling them? I fully respect their right/concern to call the cops and would hope they WOULD call the police and have them drag me off to jail for a cooling off period.

If I am belligerently or drunkenly prancing down main street and screaming obscenities at my neighbors, making threats, belittling them? I fully respect their right/concern to call the cops and would hope they WOULD call the police and have them drag me off to jail for a cooling off period.
    You don't have to be drunk or screaming to be silenced in WoW / cuffed in the analogy with the real world. That's the entire point.

I know you said you are fine with being inconvenienced that way if needs be, but others aren't (and you might be underestimating the effects).

Deleted
    Yes, but they have EVIDENCE that you are drunk. If you neighbors you report you, because they want to fuck with you and the police throws you into the cell for a night, you would be pissed!

And that's what we are talking about, people reporting you for the lulz and the police just trusting their word and throwing you into jail, regardless of the fact if you did something or not.

If you like this system, just go to jail tonight, because your neighbors reported you for being to loud at night.

And in chat? If I am bullying, belittling, or ptherwise harassing the general population... I full respect their desire to stop my behavior. I will gladly accept any punishment set forth.

Now if that is abused and we have false reports then I will lobby they get a punishment as well. But I agree with the Silence policy... clean up the game and have a higher level of game chat (who knows, maybe even talk about the games). It is better to have a few people unfairly silenced than to let this absolute trash go on unfettered.

Now if that is abused and we have false reports then I will lobby they get a punishment as well.
    That's key, right?

Well, that won't happen. Because, first, that's outrageously resource-intensive, and, second, they are doing the entire thing to cut down on resources they spend on such issues to begin with.

Deleted
    And in chat? If I am bullying, belittling, or ptherwise harassing the general population... I full respect their desire to stop my behavior. I will gladly accept any punishment set forth.

Now if that is abused and we have false reports then I will lobby they get a punishment as well. But I agree with the Silence policy... clean up the game and have level. It is better to have a few people unfairly silenced than to let this absolute trash go on unfettered.
    If you do so, a GM can review your messages and punish you. No need for an AUTOMATED punishment.
    And people can report you for ANYTHING, even for just saying "Hello" you can get reported AND get silenced.

And that's the whole problem: Anything is viable, and there are NO punishments for abuse, we know of.

As for an example:
    You sit in your front-yard, drinking a glass of water. And your neighbors don't like that, they report you to the police, the police just throws you in jail for the night. That's the current system. Yes you could torture your dog, but the SYSTEM doesn't care. Report = Punishment.

/Edit: I can see Blizzard coming out, saying the reports are abused to much and just throwing out the chat entirely... and they replace it with 10 emotes you can use, just like in Hearthstone.
    Last edited by mmoc1f5e02b9df; 2016-07-28 at 02:38 PM.

You used abusive remarks against random people you have never met while at the same time saying "respect fellow human beings". You are the definition of two faced hypocrite. You used the exact language that would get you silenced to describe others (that you don't know and never met).
    Describing behavior is not the same as calling out someone. "Don't be a dick... don't troll or fuck with others..." is a creed not abusive remarks levied to demean others. Context my friend.

Deleted
    Thank you so much for this post which sums up what I am trying to explain for over 200 posts now. Not being native english speaker doesn't seem to help me much either but yes overall exactly as you put it.
    Problem is, some people will still try to justify this completely broken system, because of "muh feelingz".

Like I said... it takes a significant number of people reporting to make this happen. If that many people agree that what I am talking about is unwelcome, then by all means stop it. I don't even care if it goes so far as reporting politics... I am paying $15 to play a game not listen to the left wing this and right wing that... in TRADE chat?

Mentioned it before... they should create a Lounge channel where all non-game related chat can happen (with the obvious taboo things) and let everyone have a ball in it.

Then those people who don't want to be exposed to that crap can just leave the channel for good. If someone keeps their crap up in game channels they are banned from everything BUT Lounge channel.

But many of you people who are offended by this "atrocity of Silence" don;t want that... you want people to be forced to listen to you, so you can offend them and enjoy it. No.... sorry. Silence is now a thing and here to stay.

Deleted
    Like I said... it takes a significant number of people reporting to make this happen. If that many people agree that what I am talking about is unwelcome, then by all means stop it. I don't even care if it goes so far as reporting politics... I am paying $15 to play a game not listen to the left wing this and right wing that... in TRADE chat?

Mentioned it before... they should create a Lounge channel where all non-game related chat can happen (with the obvious taboo things) and let everyone have a ball in it.

Then those people who don't want to be exposed to that crap can just leave the channel for good. If someone keeps their crap up in game channels they are banned from everything BUT Lounge channel.

But many of you people who are offended by this "atrocity of Silence" don;t want that... you want people to be forced to listen to you, so you can offend them and enjoy it. No.... sorry. Silence is now a thing and here to stay.
    39 people in a game with over 5 Millionen players is NOT significant by ANY stretch. We don't even know how many reports trigger this system. It could be 10 or 20.
    Then opt-out of trade chat ffs. It's not that hard. Or ignore those people!

Nobody is forced to listen, they can ignore, use the ignore function, leave the channel, logout. Or if the system was reviewed by humans: Report it, if it doesn't belong in the channel.
    But with the everything and everyone is a FFA bullshit we have now, reporting is just a tool for abuse.

I guess Erdogan is also great because you don't live in Turkey. Ye by now we get where you people are going with this "system is great". Its "great" because you intend to use it against others while untouched by it.

And this is exactly the sort of people that shouldn't have any powers in their hands. Its really sad to see there are players around us ready to become system ruffians as a pleasure (not because they want to make game better).
    Silencing trolls and people that love to talk shit because of the anonymity *will* make the game better for everyone else not having to put up with their crap anymore.

Seriously, the only people saying "This system is bad" are the trolls and griefers potentially affected by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post
    Silencing trolls and people that love to talk shit because of the anonymity *will* make the game better for everyone else not having to put up with their crap anymore.

Seriously, the only people saying "This system is bad" are the trolls and griefers potentially affected by it.
    Amen brother... we know the score. Even Hockey has a penalty box.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post

No it's people who know that people will be assholes just for the sake of it, and report people for anything. Because they know the system doesn't care what get's reported as long as it get's reported often enough.
    So a guild can fuck over EVERY single person, just because the silence system allows it.

If they actually had humans reviewing the reports, nobody would give a shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen brother... we know the score. Even Hockey has a penalty box.
    Which you get into, AFTER you have broken the rules. Not because the other team said you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Then opt-out of trade chat ffs. It's not that hard. Or ignore those people!

Nobody is forced to listen, they can ignore, use the ignore function, leave the channel, logout. Or if the system was reviewed by humans: Report it, if it doesn't belong in the channel
    The game needs a chat channel to interact with the other people playing the game... the trouble is that it's being used for anything BUT game related chat... and certainly not much for trade.

Players shouldn't have to leave "trade" chat in order to stop listening to sex, politics, elitism, bullying. No.. make a channel for that crap and let the people who are looking for that go there.