Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Politics on your favorite Radio Station

This morning I was on my way to work and was listening to Kroq 106.7 (big Los Angeles station) they had people call in who were Bernie or Bust people. They were making fun of them and saying how could you not vote for Hillary Clinton and put them down. Now I love this station (usually) and they are pretty funny, but should radio stations clearly favor one candidate and push people to vote for one candidate? I realize radio stations are private and can do what they want, but it seems weird to alienate listeners to your show who don't agree. I listened to it because I didn't feel like searching for another station for a 10-15 minute drive and I actually like the hosts, but if they kept going I might have turned it off.

TLDR: If your favorite radio station talks about politics you don't agree with, do you still listen to it or do you change the channel?

Edit: If a friend of yours has conflicting political ideas how do you find common ground with them?
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2016-07-28 at 04:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    What's radio?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio

^^ this strange contraption

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio

^^ this strange contraption
    Haven't used a radio in over a decade

Don't have anything to say on the topic, but i want a croque now.

Yeah that's really cringy, morning zoo radio is the worst.

KFI Am 640

Variety of opinions probably most to the right or kind of libertarian but each host is different.

Even one if the night hosts us kinda to the right. But was s Bernie supporter
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    This morning I was on my way to work and was listening to Kroq 106.7 (big Los Angeles station) they had people call in who were Bernie or Bust people. They were making fun of them and saying how could you not vote for Hillary Clinton and put them down. Now I love this station (usually) and they are pretty funny, but should radio stations clearly favor one candidate and push people to vote for one candidate? I realize radio stations are private and can do what they want, but it seems weird to alienate listeners to your show who don't agree. I listened to it because I didn't feel like searching for another station for a 10-15 minute drive and I actually like the hosts, but if they kept going I might have turned it off.

TLDR: If your favorite radio station talks about politics you don't agree with, do you still listen to it or do you change the channel?

Edit: If a friend of yours has conflicting political ideas how do you find common ground with them?
    I suppose you're talking about the typical morning show on the radio, right?
    Nope, they don't have to be neutral. They can have their opinion. And it's the most fun when the guys in the studio aren't all of the same opinion.
    If I don't agree? Nope, I won't switch the station, or something along that line. I just am in disagreement.
    As by the sound of it, I might have even agreed with them anyway. I too consider the Bernie or Bust crowd rather pathetic, and deserving of being ridiculed. Plus, there's a 100% rock solid point. If you're really a Bernie supporter, you stick with him, and continue supporting his fight, which isn't over yet. In order to succeed, Trump needs to be defeated. Hence why you vote for HC, and help Bernie progressing.
    A Trump win would be pretty much the end of the "revolution".
    Logic.. Anyway.. as said, nope, not bothered too much if I am in disagreement with the radio hosts.
    I usually listen to Todd & Tyler in the morning on the road.

As for friends? Common ground?
    There's not much to sort out. We only ever disagree on minor details.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Nope, they don't have to be neutral. They can have their opinion. And it's the most fun when the guys in the studio aren't all of the same opinion.
    If I don't agree? Nope, I won't switch the station, or something along that line. I just am in disagreement.
    As by the sound of it, I might have even agreed with them anyway. I too consider the Bernie or Bust crowd rather pathetic, and deserving of being ridiculed. Plus, there's a 100% rock solid point. If you're really a Bernie supporter, you stick with him, and continue supporting his fight, which isn't over yet. In order to succeed, Trump needs to be defeated. Hence why you vote for HC, and help Bernie progressing.
    Logic.. Anyway.. as said, nope, not bothered too much if I am in disagreement with the radio hosts.

Yeh they all had pretty much the same opinion so it wasn't that fun.

Deleted
    If you are in LA why don't you hear Ben Shapiro's morning show? It's well balanced, one guy is democrat, girl is either and Ben is rep. but hates Trump. They are on AM870!

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    If you are in LA why don't you hear Ben Shapiro's morning show? It's well balanced, one guy is democrat, girl is either and Ben is rep. but hates Trump. They are on AM870!
    No no no

Only real station in la is KFI

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post

Actually his problem is with corruption in politics, of which Hillary is the main enemy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    they had people call in who were Bernie or Bust people. They were making fun of them and saying how could you not vote for Hillary Clinton and put them down.
    This here is one of the reasons why I've been so interested in these elections, even though I'm not American; I hate and despise bullies, and I can spot them immediately. If there was such a thing, I'd send every single bully into hell for infinite eternities. And, this kind of bullying behavior towards Bernie and his supporters started day one of the elections. Him and his supporters got bullied, dismissed, ridiculed, and so on, and it continued throughout the primaries, and is still going on.

And, just like with all bullies, there are the people in a ring around the bully and the one being bullied, kicking dirt in his or her face, and when you ask those cheerleaders and dirtkickers afterwards if they did anything wrong, they'll smile and say of course not. It's exactly the same with people shitting on Bernie and his supporters; they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

If you mention it now, they'll deny everything and call you crazy.

Haven't used a radio in over a decade
    Do you not drive??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Do you not drive??
    Have a USB port so no need to use the radio

10+ Year Old Account
    FM radio is awful. All they play is commercials. Whenever people call in with an opposing opinion to the host they'll just start saying "YEAH YEAH YEAH WHATEVER" and hang up. Big echo chambers of bullshit.

Have a USB port so no need to use the radio
    I guess that works if you want to listen to music. I always listen to talk radio in the car though.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean the two biggest radio stations here are dedicated to criticize the current government ( and to be fair our president is just so lovely) so no I'm not bothered by it and they always provide good analysis.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    People still listen to the radio?

I'm old, and I don't even listen to the radio anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    People still listen to the radio?

I'm old, and I don't even listen to the radio anymore...
    It's because you are old. I started listening to talk radio as a teen about 10 years ago. Old people just don't understand.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    In the UK, I don't think we have the equivalent of US style "shock jocks" or even much talk about politics at all on the vast majority of radio stations.

We do have the amazing BBC Radio 4, which has such high quality political coverage, Prime Ministers (or their spouses at least) listen to it first thing every morning. As state funded radio, it avoids obvious political bias.

The closest thing to the OPs point is perhaps its "Moral Maze" programme which often seems dominated by right wing old farts and bizarre reactionary ex-Trotskyists. It's still quite compelling listening, although I usually mutter "bollocks" to the pronouncements of the resident windbags.