Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Chancellor Angela Merkel stands by her refugee policy

(CNN)German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday described recent attacks in the country and across Europe as "shocking, depressing and terrifying," but she refused to back down from an open-door refugee policy that has attracted fierce criticism following recent assaults in the country.

One Twitter user posted a pair of hands covered in blood, quoting Merkel with, "We have already accomplished a lot," using the #MerkelSommer hashtag.
    Merkel vowed to boost security and improve counterterrorism measures, but she stood firm on Germany's position of accepting nearly all asylum seekers found to be legitimate refugees. Germany took in more than 1 million refugees in 2015, making it the most open country in Europe to asylum seekers.

"We decided to fulfill our humanitarian tasks," she told reporters at a news conference, according to a translator. "Refusing humanitarian support, that would be something I wouldn't want to do and I wouldn't recommend this to Germany."

She said that terrorists wanted Germany to "lose our view for what's important to us."

"They want to divide our unity, our cooperation, they want to harm our life," she said. "They want to prevent our openness to welcoming people. They spread hate between cultures and also among religions."

But she added that those who came to Germany as refugees but then carry out attacks "mock the country that took them in."
    "We have to do more to [combat] the causes of migration," she said.

At the same time, she said Germany must improve the process for repatriation of migrants whose asylum applications had been rejected. International treaties, however, forbid countries from returning migrants to places of danger, such a war-ravaged Syria, even if a migrant has been refused refugee status.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/28/eu...icy/index.html

She really will go down as one of the greatest world leaders. I hope she gets another term so that PM Trudeau and her can build a strong partnership.

If only more world leaders followed their lead and did their fair share in this crisis. Nevertheless, keep up the good work Chancellor!

10+ Year Old Account
    You called down World War 3, Tennisace.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

She really will go down as one of the greatest world leaders. I hope she gets another term so that PM Trudeau and her can build a strong partnership.

If only more world leaders followed their lead and did their fair share in this crisis. Nevertheless, keep up the good work Chancellor!
    Good that she keeps standing for that instead of giving in to populist tendencies. Now, let's just wait and watch all the edgelords rage at this.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Cucked beyond redemption, i'm sorry neighbours.

Germany needs a recall election. This bitch is crazy.

Deleted

Good on Germany to stand by their policy and not give in to fear, extremism and xenophobia! An example for the world.

No matter your stance on this Merkel and Germany will go down in the history books as the ones that didn't give in to fear and terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    Good that she keeps standing for that instead of giving in to populist tendencies. Now, let's just wait and watch all the edgelords rage at this.
    Omg yes, so tasty ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    We're having election next year.
    You asking for a recall beforehand? lol

But I agree, the bitch is nuts.
    Problem only is.. She isn't the worst choice.
    Schaeuble that piece of shit is more popular atm than she is, and might replace her.
    I don't know.. But Germany's choice for now is, either rain or a downpour. Currently it just rains.

We suffer from a problem that we share with many other countries. The top class politicians all died already, or are simply way too old.
    Nothing came afterwards anymore. Neither party can provide anyone with a higher charisma than a floor lamp. Most have less than that.
    So, in a sense, we're fucked, and it's not fun.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2016-07-28 at 05:59 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    No matter your stance on this Merkel and Germany will go down in the history books as the ones that didn't give in to fear and terrorism.
    Indeed, they practically welcomed fear and terrorism with open arms. That takes some balls, not brains, but beggars cannot be choosers.

Deleted
    She really will go down as one of the greatest world leaders.
    She will go down in history as the person that destroyed Germany, and the entire European continent. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but within the next 100 or 200 years people will look back and blame her for destroying so much.

She has been as good for Germany as Edmure Tully ended up being for Riverrun. For the same reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    She will go down in history as the person that destroyed Germany, and the entire European continent. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but within the next 100 or 200 years people will look back and blame her for destroying so much.
    But probably not in Europe, where such historical study might be haram in 100 or 200 years.

This thread will go dark places. Dark, dark places.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Yeah, lets have a election for a Chancellor that is ranking good in German polls because foreigners do not like her Policies. /s

The only good thing is that she will not get another term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

grablegarblegarble WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS BECAUSE WE USED PROGRESSIVE WORDS
    #rightsideofhistory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Yeah, lets have a election for a Chancellor that is ranking good in German polls because foreigners do not like her Policies. /s
    45% favorability rating isn't good.. That's clearly not the majority.

So, does she actually do anything humanitarian to be proud of in playing a part to bringing attacks to Europe? Or is this the standard "I thought it was a good idea and that makes me good" politician claim to being a humanitarian?

It's easy to argue your idea is good (especially when it isn't) when you have to do none of the work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    The only good thing is that she will not get another term.
    gosh, I hope not.
    I take Red-Red-Green, or something.. just kick them U's out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Germany has a huge population. They can more than absorb a few million refugees over a few years.
    Not to mention that by most rankings, Germany is doing quite well!

What a leader Angela Merkel is!

Social cohesion irreparably damaged - but at least we still have our feelgood buzzwords

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    45% favorability rating isn't good.. That's clearly not the majority.
    According to DW its at 53%, but that article is from March.
    http://www.dw.com/en/merkels-approva...ove/a-19083943