Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with new MM PvP

Trying to get pvp figured out by running some bgs.

How do I keep warriors off my face?
    How do I out damage a locks life drain?
    How do I out damage a ret pally's heals?

The escape skills have too high of CD to be used outside of 1v1. What talents are you guys using? Any advice would be appreciated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    You don´t
    You don´t
    You don´t
    What talents are you guys using?
    The new Reroll Talent: Forget everything about your Training and become a [insert random melee class] for the duration of the battleground.

We lost masters call, traps for cc, etc.. I used to love kiting with frost trap and getting melees off me with explosive trap knockback glyph, and of course masters call. Now you've only got disengage, disorient thingy, concussive shot and binding shot (depending how you talent). Pretty fucking horrible and boring. MM is only good for bgs if you have a healer and you're able to sit back and just damage things, if you actually are in 1v1 situations it's much harder.

Switch to a melee class if you want to PvP in Legion.

yeh good advice dont bother with bgs you will get wrecked off any melee in a few shots,big shame i loved pvp with the old mm hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoopDaWhoop View Post
    You don´t

You don´t

You don´t

The new Reroll Talent: Forget everything about your Training and become a [insert random melee class] for the duration of the battleground.
    lol some bits definitely true. Afflic locks are overtuned at the moment and I doubt it will last too long. For rets, run MM with a pet that does mortal wounds to help dampen heals. This can help a bit too with warlocks.

What talents are you guys using? Any advice would be appreciated.
    A very simple talent - reroll melee for Legion's pvp (not a ret tho). I propose warrior, rogue or DH.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Switch to a melee class if you want to PvP in Legion.
    Most casters are stronger then melee currently. But yeah if you want to pvp in legion, don't play a hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Re-roll melee"

>Survival

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600Hz | Gigabyte GTX 580 Superclocked Edition SLI | Lian-Li PC-P50WB | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (raid0) | Corsair RM-1000 80+ Gold | Corsair H60, 2x BitFenix Spectre Pro P/P config

Ok, so I have been using lone wolf, black arrow, post haste, patient sniper, binding shot, barrage, and sidewinders. I have been making sure to be behind people all the time, never go in front or charge the battle. Never be alone without a tank. Playing super defensively with this build, I am top of the damage and HK's in battlegrounds. Don't get KB in as much though, but at least I'm having fun again.

Lone Wolf, Black Arrow, Posthaste, Sentinel/Patient Sniper, Binding Shot, Barrage, Sidewinders/Piercing Shot.

Patient Sniper feels like shit because you're never able to cast AiS. Sentinel gives you a way to spend focus and gives you a way to tag people capping nodes. Sidewinders feels meh because you still have shit for a focus dump, but it's damage is alright. Piercing Shot hits like a wet noodle (seriously, I spam 35k Shadowburns on two targets every global on my warlock, and PS hits for like 30k on the main target).

Overall it feels really bad. Virtually no peel, so, as soon as a melee looks at you, you die. You can do ok damage when freecasting, but so can most casters. However, they either do more damage, have more CC, more burst, or more tankiness.

With patent sniper and sidewinders, I hit sidewinders then I get 1-2 aimed shots, then marked shot then 1-2 more aimed shots off. There's plenty of time for them. I have no problem being top damage in a bg this way. But you are right, most melee will just stomp your face if they get to you so you have to make sure you stay facing them while casting. Really it's not that bad now that I'm getting used to this play style. Except for locks. They always win no matter what.

use the t18 4 set and you'll be fine :P

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally wouldn't use lonewolf though unless you're just mass hitting everything in BG's with barrage for fun. In 1v1 scenarios I prefer having a pet in cunning mode. 12% more damage isn't worth the loss of a cunning pet.
    The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

I dunno, roar is great, but it seems if I get focused I'm going to die with or without it so I might as well have more damage up front. Also, I feel as though our role in rbgs is just to sit back and pad damage numbers since we do have such high damage when not focused.
    Last edited by Brocksley; 2016-07-28 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MabusGaming View Post
    I personally wouldn't use lonewolf though unless you're just mass hitting everything in BG's with barrage for fun. In 1v1 scenarios I prefer having a pet in cunning mode. 12% more damage isn't worth the loss of a cunning pet.
    this. Its also the issue I felt would be the case when they made LW a talent again as it doesn't address the baseline defence/offense but rather, pegs it to having a pet.

Regardless, the pros of running with a pet vs without are glaringly difficult to pass up.

If you treat the pet as a polygon dot, it essentially becomes no different from AMoC and BA. In an environment where LoS messes with our output, any form of dot or instant cast helps. If the pet dies, whatever, just res and send it out again just like how a warlock would casts haunt.

The pet can apply slow or mortal wounds, which is essentially a 25% damage increase (if not more) as it reduces healing from ANY SOURCE by that much.

It makes you or your team mate crit immune on a 1 min cd and most bursts are on a 1min CD so it lines up nicely. To be clearer, that pretty much reduces damage done to you by up to half against high crit classes when they go ham.

For both MM and BM, weaving in concussive shots on CD isn't hard which (for me) places the mortal wounds pet ahead in most scenarios.

It should also be noted that pet mortal wounds and Viper Sting (PvP talent) stacks, which dampens healing further.

Is LW viable? In PvE, Raid and Ashran style encounters, sure. Resentfully for any other PvP encounter, it won't surprise me if it eventually is regarded as a noob trap since one has to give up so much for it.
    Last edited by Bladeweaver; 2016-07-28 at 06:17 AM.

Hmm I was under the impression that pet specials were gone, but only for some it seems. So mortal wounds definitely gives the advantage then to pets. Wonder if they will realize they left some pet abilities in and take them away or if they will leave them in. MM seem so half baked. Half of it designed when there was no pet, then suddenly they bring them back as an option and now they are mandatory. Also, sidewinders doesn't work with careful aim, should I get steady focus, or not pick up sidewinders then and get trick or piercing shot?
    Last edited by Brocksley; 2016-07-28 at 09:15 PM.

Hmm I was under the impression that pet specials were gone, but only for some it seems. So mortal wounds definitely gives the advantage then to pets. Wonder if they will realize they left some pet abilities in and take them away or if they will leave them in. MM seem so half baked. Half of it designed when there was no pet, then suddenly they bring them back as an option and now they are mandatory. Also, careful aim doesn't work with careful aim, should I get steady focus, or not pick up sidewinders then and get trick or piercing shot?
    I don't think Piercing Shot hits hard enough, and you don't cast AiS enough with Trick Shot to justify losing Sidewinders. Sidewinders does hit hard, it's AoE, and it lets you get off huge Marked Shots. Piercing Shot might be better in real PvP where you don't want your focus generator to break every CC from here to Africa, and where some additional burst is needed, but Sidewinders is, imo, the way to go for big dick dps in bgs.

Are you sure Sidewinders isn't affected by Careful Aim? I just sat in front of a dummy for 200 Sidewinders and with my 30% crit chance got 98 crits and 102 hits. With Arcane Shot It was 105 hits and 95 crits. Sidewinders wasn't causing Careful Aim dot damage, though. Interesting. Is that intended?
    Last edited by Kwaai; 2016-07-28 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same talents that you posted above but I take piercing shot over sidewinders. One, sidewinder's damage is unimpressive. Two, it reduces the amount of marked shots you can get off while bursting with trueshot (you can get around 7 marked shots off if you have arcane shot). Three, it adds a cooldown to your filler spell if you're kiting (so you may be stuck just shooting auto shots for a little while). I treat piercing shot as pseudo kill shot. When hunter's mark isn't proccing and nothing else is up i'll use it.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to get pvp figured out by running some bgs.

The escape skills have too high of CD to be used outside of 1v1. What talents are you guys using? Any advice would be appreciated.
    1. Keep concussive shot up always. Bursting shot his charge gain some distance, then start shooting. If he charges again and BS isn't up then disengage. Aspect of the cheetah when he heroic leaps. Always be strafing away from him unless he starts running away from you.

2. Nobody can 1v1 a lock right now.

3. Don't get juked, interrupt his heal, make him bubble by kiting and then burst once bubble is down. Take crows.

this is how i started having fun in the pvp pre-patch:

1. log off hunter
    2. log on arms warrior