The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So using your logic what is it called when a network bleeps an F bomb on live TV? Oh yea, it's called a censor.
    Pretty sure a censor is a person not an action.

I mean this is what websters is telling me.

A censor is the person that does the censorship.

Look if there was an official running around saying this cannot be aired on tv on any network. You would have a case for censorship.

This is no different than MMO-champ not letting you talk about certain topics, or do you believe that is censorship also?
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2016-07-19 at 02:27 AM.

Definitions are hard stuff bro.
    You do seem to struggle with them, but I'm nothing if not patient. You should keep plugging away, maybe do some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Pretty sure a censor is a person not an action.

I mean this is what websters is telling me.

A censor is the person that does the censorship.

Look if there was an official running around saying this cannot be aired on tv on any network. You would have a case for censorship.

This is no different than MMO-champ not letting you talk about certain topics, or do you believe that is censorship also?
    Censorship is the suppression of ideas, information or art. The idea that "only the government can censor" is ridiculous and fails to take into account the long-standing definition and usage of the word.

7+ Year Old Account
    Being forced by an authority figure to change or alter the content you're putting out is the very definition of censorship. ESPN saw the outfit(which is hilarious like they did 0 research before signing the contract, would of been super lulz if they saw a Laura in top 8) and a suit literally told them that wasn't happening to change it. That is censorship.

Developers changing content of their own free will in the hopes of better connecting with different cultures is not censorship.

So wouldn't that mean if developers change something due to a fear of backlash from certain groups it's censorship? The backlash can only be effective because the group has power. ESRB is in a position of power, they determine how games are rated, that rating can determine whether a store carries the game, they are an authority figure when it comes to ratings... And that's just the ESRB, then you have other groups who threaten to publicly shame developers for what they put in games, those people have a voice via certain gaming websites, a voice that most fans don't have, a power that most fans don't have. The game sites are consider authorities on the gaming world.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Games Radar (plus BBC & Yahoo) completely drop the ball in reporting on blatant Reddit troll post? Looks like they didn't even bother fact-checking, it supported their narrative against Ghostbusters fans.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/07...oll-post/7814/

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netscape View Post
    Censorship is the suppression of ideas, information or art. The idea that "only the government can censor" is ridiculous and fails to take into account the long-standing definition and usage of the word.

Can you point out where I said it was only the government that can do it.

fyi Official =/= government

Developers changing content of their own free will in the hopes of better connecting with different cultures is not censorship.

There are more than one type of censorship. Self-censorship in particular is insidious to the point where people usually don't even think about thinking about it as censorship at all, as with for example clothing styles, which depend entirely on culture and which everyone adhere to without even considering what they're doing as self-censorship, since this form of self-censorship is so taken for granted that nobody thinks about it as such.

Then there are the more obvious ones, such as when you "localize" your game "of your own free will" because you consider doing so to be the lesser evil to suffering the negative consequences you'd otherwise endure.

I'll grant that this is a very 'soft' form of censorship, though. You'd rather have self-censorship than a powerful authoritarian sitting over you straight-up forbidding you to say or do something. But on the other hand, the top-down form of censorship does have a really big weakness that the softer kind doesn't have: It's really obvious. But when it comes to self-censorship? That'll have people out there in droves dismissing this restriction of people's sense that they can freely express themselves as anything but what it actually is, which makes it a lot harder to fight. People end up sitting around arguing over definitions instead of discussing the actual topic... It's the censorship meme evolved to better survive in our current environment.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

This is important information, I should disseminate it to every artist working in a commercial context, ever. Does anyone have Michaelangelo's twitter handle?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffertus View Post
    This is important information, I should disseminate it to every artist working in a commercial context, ever. Does anyone have Michaelangelo's twitter handle?
    Snide comments, I guess that's easier than trying to debate something you have nothing to offer towards.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Pewdiepie's statement to them at the end of his one video is perfect, though.

twitter com notaxation status 753696689462968321
    Damn, I can't believe I've only seen this now. I never cared much for him, but he just gained my respect.

EB Games Australia pulls Gal-Gun: Double Peacec and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus from stores following Kotaku article.

http://nichegamer.com/2016/07/27/eb-...-pulls-galgun/

EB Games Australia pulls Gal-Gun: Double Peacec and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus from stores following Kotaku article.

http://nichegamer.com/2016/07/27/eb-...-pulls-galgun/
    Gamestop(who owns EB) never stocks games like this in stores anyways(and it's not because of anime boobs, it's any really niche Japanese game regardless of fan service levels) so what's the news here? They only take preorders, sell them online and take trade ins of them. Unless you're trying to say they're not doing the later(selling online and taking trade ins) which the article does not say.

Gamestop(who owns EB) never stocks games like this in stores anyways(and it's not because of anime boobs, it's any really niche Japanese game regardless of fan service levels) so what's the news here? They only take preorders, sell them online and take trade ins of them. Unless you're trying to say they're not doing the later(selling online and taking trade ins) which the article does not say.
    This is EB Games Australia, not in the US; though I've seen plenty of niche games at GameStop in the US. This case is pretty strange though, as they stocked it, then pulled it shortly thereafter and several customers are reporting that EB Games called them and wants them to return their copies.

This is EB Games Australia, not in the US; though I've seen plenty of niche games at GameStop in the US. This case is pretty strange though, as they stocked it, then pulled it shortly thereafter and several customers are reporting that EB Games called them and wants them to return their copies.
    First off, no shit it's Australia they're still owned by Gamestop hence me stating their company policy on niche games like this.

Yes you seen them because 1) a person traded it in or 2) a person did not pick up a preorder for them.

Gamestop nor any brick and mortar store is going to use up precious space stocking niche games like this.

Also need evidence of them literally "pulling stock" the only proof cited of anything was them simply saying they wouldn't stock them beyond preorders(which is a common occurance for any niche game in any brick and mortar store).

Anecdotal bs saying they called them to refund it just screams like click bait and people trying to make this into a story when there isn't one here.

Call me when you go to your local gamestop and take a picture of the wall of all the Senran Kagura's stocked on the shelves

This is why I hate both sides of this lame publicity stunt, they both try to fabricate stories out of things that are perfectly normal.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-29 at 01:37 AM.

Deleted

ESPN would rather have under boob then lots of ass and cleavage on display.

Just thought maybe people needed an example of real censorship, not developers willingly choosing to make changes for different markets.
    Did you see the new (2016) Berserk?

There's a semi-naked female "Holy" sadomasochistic "knight" in the 3rd episode running away for most of the episode.

That would drive these people insane.

Edge's avatar would laugh even harder.

And they are making a new game I believe.

Lol.

Korean gamers face similar "Gamers Are Dead" onslaught, form their own GamerGate.

https://twitter.com/I_AM_IRON_VAN/st...41702304763904

Korean gamers face similar "Gamers Are Dead" onslaught, form their own GamerGate.

https://twitter.com/I_AM_IRON_VAN/st...41702304763904
    What again does this have to do with "gaming"? You know the central part of what this thread is about? From my limited understanding of the terms we're talking about Korean hentai here, not games.

I mean I guess it's to be expected. That's what this thread had become...

What again does this have to do with "gaming"? You know the central part of what this thread is about? From my limited understanding of the terms we're talking about Korean hentai here, not games.

I mean I guess it's to be expected. That's what this thread had become...
    From my limited understanding so far, their otaku press has gone after gamers and anime/manga fans as being basement dwelling nerds, plus there is a government crackdown on games (and anime) that depicts sexy teenage characters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Really? I did a search on the gamestop site for the game Senran Kagura Estival checking availability at local stores for both Seattle and Los Angeles (unfortunately I can't link straight to the search results) and although stocks are low, the game is in stock in many stores in those areas.

I assume this link will just bring you to all the gamestops near you: http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/Store...Summer+Edition

If you want to consider that anecdotal, that's fine, but it would seem gamestop is not in the land of never stocking those types of games.

On the flip side it would seem Gal-Gun is not stocked at all and didn't even come up with a search on the gamestop website.
    Last edited by erthwjim; 2016-07-30 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erthwjim View Post
    Really? I did a search on the gamestop site for the game Senran Kagura Estival checking availability at local stores for both Seattle and Los Angeles (unfortunately I can't link straight to the search results) and although stocks are low, the game is in stock in many stores in those areas.

I assume this link will just bring you to all the gamestops near you: http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/Store...Summer+Edition

If you want to consider that anecdotal, that's fine, but it would seem gamestop is not in the land of never stocking those types of games.

On the flip side it would seem Gal-Gun is not stocked at all and didn't even come up with a search on the gamestop website.
    If it's flagged at low stock that means 2 or less copies. Like I said when you actually see them in store it's because someone didn't pick up their pre order. Gamestop brick and mortar stores never order more of these games then what is preordered. It's not anecdotal at all, it's a fact from being a manager at a Gamestop all through my college years.

If you ever been in a gamestop you know they're all small. There is no need to keep excess stock of niche games, especially since if someone wants it and you don't have it you can always simply order it with overnight shipping to the store for them. The vast majority of stock at any gamestop is always going to be used games, new games they only stock very popular titles or what the preorder interest is demanding.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-07-30 at 02:51 AM.