Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot Warriors Have Had the Same Rotation Since TBC

And I love it!

Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate > Rage Dump

I wonder why Blizzard can't make other classes this consistent. Arms has been changed dramatically every Xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    And I love it!

I wonder why Blizzard can't make other classes this consistent. Arms has been changed dramatically every Xpac.
    Probably because mitigation, aggro, and various tanking mechanics have changed considerably, multiple times, since BC.

Psssh. You know HARD it is to change muscle memory now. Fingers doing the same thing for 8+ years now. I move a button and I am screwed. /sarcasm

Love it too yo.

I could almost agree with this being acceptable but not after WoD. Unyielding strikes was a god send. A choice to be doing more than just minding a very slow and simple rotation. Instead now we revert to a single button to spam between revenge and shield slam. I thought they promised we would keep heroic strike? :'(

Quote Originally Posted by MooMooAkai View Post
    I could almost agree with this being acceptable but not after WoD. Unyielding strikes was a god send. A choice to be doing more than just minding a very slow and simple rotation. Instead now we revert to a single button to spam between revenge and shield slam. I thought they promised we would keep heroic strike? :'(
    Nothing they say is a "promise", so put that notion to bed right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Nothing they say is a "promise", so put that notion to bed right away.

I'd be a fool to believe anything they say they'd get done was guaranteed

Honestly wish they at least took the other dungeons they updated during WoD and made heroic versions of them at least

Tease or promise. They can't be trusted

I'd be a fool to believe anything they say they'd get done was guaranteed

Honestly wish they at least took the other dungeons they updated during WoD and made heroic versions of them at least

Tease or promise. They can't be trusted
    I'm not sure what your point is. You said they promised, now you're saying you don't believe what they say is a guarantee, and where did dungeons come into the conversation?

As much as we'd like it to be, design is rarely a matter of coming up with an idea and implementing it. It's a meandering process which typically undergoes a number of evolutions before it finally settles on something, as we've seen all too well in recent months. Because of this, you have to take whatever they say with a grain of salt; I know that's frustrating, especially when it results in a change you or I might not like, but we can't demand they be more vocal with design, and then bemoan when they make changes.

Deleted
    There's focused rage.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. You said they promised, now you're saying you don't believe what they say is a guarantee, and where did dungeons come into the conversation?

As much as we'd like it to be, design is rarely a matter of coming up with an idea and implementing it. It's a meandering process which typically undergoes a number of evolutions before it finally settles on something, as we've seen all too well in recent months. Because of this, you have to take whatever they say with a grain of salt; I know that's frustrating, especially when it results in a change you or I might not like, but we can't demand they be more vocal with design, and then bemoan when they make changes.
    Nah.. I wasn't keeping my hopes up when I saw the initial changes to heroic strikes design in general

Dungeons were a bit off topic but just another example of blizzard not keeping up with words made. That one was for additional content rather than specific design.

Legion felt like a lot of gauging reactions with how open the "alpha" was. Lots of fan service in Legion so I'm just confused why they would take out an iconic ability and slow the pace of a rotation that was finally picking up pace

- - - Updated - - -

I get that it's hard to be inclusive in the design phase cause that'll hinder their liberties to take the class with if all they see is negative feed back and criticism. What I've played so far certainly gets the job done but it's like goin to play a new Mario game and for the sake of change and balance they removed mushrooms

I wish we had heroic strike instead of that thing you cast 3 times to get a shield slam buff. /gag. Give me Heroic Strike and we'll call it a day.
    Hi Sephurik

The rotation has changed pretty extensively even if the names of the abilities haven't. The cooldowns on SS/revenge are way higher than they used to be and taking heroic strike from "on next attack" to just off gcd dramatically changed the pacing/apm, thats not even factoring heroic strike now becoming focused rage. The spec was definitely way more spammy in BC/WotLK than it is now.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see Sunder Armor on my bars anymore thankfully so I'd say something has changed.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    I don't see Sunder Armor on my bars anymore thankfully so I'd say something has changed.
    I forget...didn't they get rid of Sunder Armor for Prot Warriors in TBC at some point. I know Fury and Arms still had it since they didn't have Devastate.

Deleted
    Why would that asshole ignore Ignore Pain - Focused Rage Rotation, no heroic strike? Oh right, MMO-Champion forum!

Ignore Pain is Shield Barrier, Focused Rage functions the same way Heroic Strike did rotationally. I'd say he didn't ignore anything. Protection has one of the best rotations in the game, and I'll be completely honest when I say that I'm very happy that I'll get yet another expansion where I can play Protection with this amazing rotation.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    Ignore Pain is Shield Barrier, Focused Rage functions the same way Heroic Strike did rotationally. I'd say he didn't ignore anything. Protection has one of the best rotations in the game, and I'll be completely honest when I say that I'm very happy that I'll get yet another expansion where I can play Protection with this amazing rotation.
    The rotation is the same but I guess my gripe with it is for one, the pace.

The benefit of having the pace as it is now is that you will have moments where you can genuinely looks around and assess what's going on because you're joy trying to stare at this rotation to min max it.

However if the fight is already going smoothly it feels lack luster. Revenge and shield slam on cool down? Devastate.
    Survivability wise you don't wanna use focus rage all that often as you'd rather pool rage for that on demand IP

the other issue I have is without heroic strike or cleave, revenge certainly did get buffed but with how trigger happy dos can be I'ld just like to have back my off GCD snap aggro

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I forget...didn't they get rid of Sunder Armor for Prot Warriors in TBC at some point. I know Fury and Arms still had it since they didn't have Devastate.
    Honestly It's been so long that I don't even remember. You're probably right. It might have even been that way all TBC and the debuff is possibly why I'm still only remembering Sunder Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Would be like real good if they would head the threat managment from tbc too tho

Like now its kinda of dumb
    To be honest, raiders have enough to worry about during a fight than to need to worry about micro managing threat. Nothing was more annoying than dps having to stop dpsing just because the low damage tanks had to catch up on threat. It was a much slower playstyle of raiding. Couldn't imagine having to deal with the same thing in the modern day fights with much more raid wide damage going out and the amount of adds that usually have to be picked up and killed quickly. It worked for the style of fights we had back then, but not so much now. Threat is currently at a point in which if tanks are doing their job properly then threat isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2016-08-01 at 06:30 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

And I love it!

Um not really. Never had this whole active mitigation garbage. We had cooldowns to save and use when necessary but not this whole "constantly keep up your active mitigations somehow or you die" garbage.

Back then tanking was about the skill of the pull and managing enemy/boss positions and knowing when to use your cooldowns.

I really dislike the modern world of active mitigation. Just feels like busy work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Would be like real good if they would head the threat managment from tbc too tho

Like now its kinda of dumb
    Good threat is still there. Shield slam hits pretty effin hard now. Single target shouldn't be a problem but in some some situations you may want to hold a thunder clap until all targets are close, use heroic leap for some threat. Use revenge immediately so it can reset while you cycle through clap and shield slam.

It's doable but it's just not going to be the same as blood boil so don't expect it to be, or roll DK
    Last edited by MooMooAkai; 2016-08-03 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Phone autocorrect made the post a bit confusing