Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. My cousin's husband is from Gaza City, Palestine. I ate dinner with him and his friend, Abdul from the West Bank, last Saturday night. I had a friend in college named Uzma, who was born in Saudi Arabia and grew up in Pakistan. She now lives in Karachi. She has never worn a hijab in her life, but she's a devout Muslim.

Also, though my boss is ethnically English, he was born and raised in Bahrain.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2016-07-29 at 03:32 AM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I associate with people FROM the middle east? No, because they're all worthless fucking piles of shit. They invade our countries, try to make us change for them, abuse our society and disobey our laws, and expect to be treated better than we treat ourselves.

Do I associate with people IN the middle east? When I was stationed in Iraq, the locals were by far the most friendly people I had ever met, and I've been all over the globe. They invited us to dinners, parties, took pictures with us, even asked us to help them set up their satellite dishes and shit. I even had some deep philosophical debates with a handful of them around a hooka. And I don't even smoke. I would gladly accept these people into my home.

So I've come to the theory that all the GOOD people stayed in the mid-east, and all the shit stains left it. They're the ones that end up in the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who specifically reside in the Middle East? Not often, because I don't speak, read, or write Arabic (or any of the other languages used in that region). People of Middle Eastern descent? Sure. My only metric for hanging out with someone is "don't be an asshole."
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Do I associate with people FROM the middle east? No, because they're all worthless fucking piles of shit. They invade our countries, try to make us change for them, abuse our society and disobey our laws, and expect to be treated better than we treat ourselves.

Do I associate with people IN the middle east? When I was stationed in Iraq, the locals were by far the most friendly people I had ever met, and I've been all over the globe. They invited us to dinners, parties, took pictures with us, even asked us to help them set up their satellite dishes and shit. I even had some deep philosophical debates with a handful of them around a hooka. And I don't even smoke. I would gladly accept these people into my home.

So I've come to the theory that all the GOOD people stayed in the mid-east, and all the shit stains left it. They're the ones that end up in the news.
    Well your theory is full of shit. My cousin's husband is awesome.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I work with Muslims, I work for Muslims, I do business with Muslims, and I have Muslims that are personal friends.

The ones I know are on the shy and quiet side, and are very serious and hard working. They are also very smart. Mostly, they are basically regular people that mostly want to be left to their own devices.

Well, half of my grandparents were Muslims

I know quite many Sufis, and they are chill af. Strict Sunni are okaaaay, but strict Shiites are pain in the ass.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-07-29 at 06:31 AM.

One of my friends I knew since highschool is from Lebanon. His family isn't Muslim.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    I grew up in a bigger town in Germany with a good number of Muslims (mostly people from Turkey, Lebanon and Afghanistan) around.
    I can't exactly say, that I had many positive experiences with Muslims.
    Now I have my own business and I had up until now a few business relations with Muslims. The conclusion I made regarding the business with Muslims is, that a very high % of them are plain untrustworthy (due to their constant need to sell themselves far over value).

Although I have still a close contact with a Muslim friend from Germany after even more than a decade from when I left Germany. My personal experiences regarding social and business interactions with Muslims are overwhelmingly negative.

In the country I live now, there are no Muslims around. And I don't feel any shame to say, that I hope it stays this way.
    Last edited by mmocdec169f0c2; 2016-07-29 at 06:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Neither are Middle East (*).
    Thank you for the enlightenment but the op asked for any Muslims or people from the middle east.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know (and associate with) quite a few people from the Middle East, Northern Africa, and Central Asia. Generally, nice folks. Some of my favorite local haunts are Xinjiang places, often run by Uighurs. Somewhere out there I even have a Saudi goddaughter.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Known a few guys from there that were alright dudes, known quite a few which were absolute cunts. Pretty much like any place.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    We have lots of people from all over the world, including the middle east, come and work with us for a few weeks as external consultants. I've found that the ones from Pakistan to be among the most effective when they are here.

Also one of my favorite restaurants is middle-eastern, as well as one of the best stores for spices and other foods. So I know quite a few of them personally.

My cousin got kids with muslim guy from Egypt. As usual he is total hypocrite forbiding his kids from eating pork but has no problems getting drunk. He also blames all muslim problems on USA and really hates jews. I guess he is pretty normal.

I work with refugees, so yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    No and never will.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I've lived in a few middle eastern countries.

Kuwaiti's are pretty cool, and fairly moderate.

Iraqi's are a mixed bag. Sunnis are a pain, while shia's are tolerable.

Qataris are pains as well.

Really comes down to whether they have money of not. The richer they are the more moderate typically.
    I see a common theme here... poor uneducated people become religious fanatics far more easily no matter what country you're in.

Just go into some of the more rural parts of south Georgia with one of those "coexist" bumper stickers and see how long your car goes without getting trashed. Don't even have to travel overseas to meet some real religious fanatics.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    No I don't associate with people of faith. They're boring and weird.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

What about the guys from the middle east who never make it onto the news, who work 60 hours a week, and who you never see or meet or seem to know about? Because while the news may shove the giant dicks in your face, it seems those giant dicks have obfuscated your view of the other 99.9999% from there.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I've known many Middle Eastern and Northern African Muslims in my life. Most of them in law school, when I did a lot of work fighting against Bush's program of questioning every student visa of people from "certain countries," including places like Lebanon. About the most hardcore of them had a prayer rug set up in the South Asian Law Students Association office (we didn't have a M.E. students association), and would do their noon prayers up in the privacy of our offices if they had to be on campus for class at some point.

Plus, I've had a lot of family who've lived in UAE and Kuwait, where there are lots of Indians (which is what I am). I've even had Muslim roommates from the Middle East.

Not more than over the internet, unfortunately. I don't live in a particularly diverse part of the US. A shame, it sounds like a lot of people here have had good experiences, and I'm always up for learning about other people's cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Just go into some of the more rural parts of south Georgia with one of those "coexist" bumper stickers and see how long your car goes without getting trashed. Don't even have to travel overseas to meet some real religious fanatics.
    I like to think I don't live in one of those areas, but frankly I've never had the gall to test those boundaries.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-07-29 at 09:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.