Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tested something similar to this about a month ago. Despite the fact that people say "the gear you should have while questing doesn't matter" depends on the gear you have going into it. My character copied a 690 shaman with enough quests to get him just above 101 ilvl from wod alone. I character copied my 742 shaman and went straight into the Legion questline. Yes, he hit 101 faster than I did, but I passed him around 105. I was able to pull more and kill everything faster than he was in the 50 ilvl less gear. We were the same spec with the same experience on it.

TL;DR - Despite what people say, gear does matter some. If you're going to cross your fingers that these methods aren't nerfed to dust before launch and go for it, make sure your gear is at least decent enough to not cause you to fall behind.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yeah.. im looking for what quests i can possibly do... since im currently sitting on having done pretty much every quest in draenor.. so repeatable quests are the only things i have left

any recomendations? so fishing quest in stormwind, and missives?
    Best improvements I have made is mapping a straight line of world item pickups for 10,800 exp each, the gorgrond rare mob item hand ins and resetting the talador zone to Mage tower (5000g for a 55k zone/quests) and resetting the gorgrond to gladiators pit (6 quests at 7,800 exp and 3x 15k completion zones

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTiddles View Post
    Tested something similar to this about a month ago. Despite the fact that people say "the gear you should have while questing doesn't matter" depends on the gear you have going into it. My character copied a 690 shaman with enough quests to get him just above 101 ilvl from wod alone. I character copied my 742 shaman and went straight into the Legion questline. Yes, he hit 101 faster than I did, but I passed him around 105. I was able to pull more and kill everything faster than he was in the 50 ilvl less gear. We were the same spec with the same experience on it.

TL;DR - Despite what people say, gear does matter some. If you're going to cross your fingers that these methods aren't nerfed to dust before launch and go for it, make sure your gear is at least decent enough to not cause you to fall behind.
    This only really applies if you can get better ilvl gear and has always been the case for all expansions. He should have started getting upgrades after level 101 so it was in his benefit to get to that level asap.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    That's a different story, but since it requires a character that did not quest in WoD, its rather limited in scope as well.
    Ding ding ding.
    The value of this method is limited by what you did *not* do in WoD. Anyone who has a main in mind already may have invalidated most of the content in the video.

So much terrible information in here. No, friendly rep isn't an issue; no, you don't need to complete every zone; yes, getting 700k+ xp in 10 minutes is an advantage; no, starting 10 minutes "late" isn't a problem, especially if your class/spec has one of the shorter artifacts. Not really worth arguing with them though...

Some tips that you might have overlooked:
    Lvl 2 stables let you loot treasures while still mounted, which is very important if you are planning to go clear a bunch of treasures
    Lvl 3 stables is +20% speed boost if your class doesn't already have one and you plan to fly around for treasures or BOs

Teleports for getting around: hearthstone, garrison hearth, shipyard hearth, challenge mode portal, engineer portal, Mage tower portal to each zone, Stormwind guild cloaks (not necessary now since the intro quest gives you a SW teleport item). Start your character in the least convenient point to reach, and then go from there, minimize your travel time.

Any quests that you can autocomplete from range should be completed while standing in Spires with the Brewery outpost built, so you get +20% xp

Although the quest log no longer shows the cap, it is still 25. However, there are some quests that will add over the cap. Additionally, quest-starter items in the inventory and quests that can be completed in under 20s and don't need to be pre-completed, don't need to be in your 25 limit. In the first 12 minutes I will be completing 49 quests and follow-ups and getting over 800k xp. That's not theoretical. That's "I can copy my live character over right now and do that on beta." My main did pretty much all the WoD content, so the number is low. The 3 alts that I plan to level reasonably soon after launch are sitting at 1.2m to 1.6m in 20min.

The video that sort of derailed the original thread is mainly for DHs or alts that leveled off rested xp and thus have a lot of content left in Draenor.
    Last edited by b0928; 2016-07-28 at 11:06 PM.

If you want to power level like that you can, but since you need to get friendly reputation with every zone to do a lot of the 110 content you may want to just level normally.

its honestly not going to matter. there are no world first, you just going to sit on nerfed world quest rewards while you wait for others to catch up to push content and then fall behind because youre not part of a well-knit crew to grind honor and/or mythic levels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    This only really applies if you can get better ilvl gear and has always been the case for all expansions. He should have started getting upgrades after level 101 so it was in his benefit to get to that level asap.
    I wasn't assuming everyone doing this will have mythic ilvl gear. I was just making sure there was no confusion with people reading "your ilvl when you go in there wont matter" when there's multiple, relatively easy ways to get gear that will last someone a few levels so they don't fall behind and make the whole first period of their expansion release a waste of time.

Retired Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTiddles View Post
    I wasn't assuming everyone doing this will have mythic ilvl gear. I was just making sure there was no confusion with people reading "your ilvl when you go in there wont matter" when there's multiple, relatively easy ways to get gear that will last someone a few levels so they don't fall behind and make the whole first period of their expansion release a waste of time.
    What ways would you recommend gearing up best for legion? I believe the invasion event gets us 710 gear?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by b0928 View Post
    So much terrible information in here. No, friendly rep isn't an issue; no, you don't need to complete every zone; yes, getting 700k+ xp in 10 minutes is an advantage; no, starting 10 minutes "late" isn't a problem, especially if your class/spec has one of the shorter artifacts. Not really worth arguing with them though...

Some tips that you might have overlooked:
    Lvl 2 stables let you loot treasures while still mounted, which is very important if you are planning to go clear a bunch of treasures
    Lvl 3 stables is +20% speed boost if your class doesn't already have one and you plan to fly around for treasures or BOs

Teleports for getting around: hearthstone, garrison hearth, shipyard hearth, challenge mode portal, engineer portal, Mage tower portal to each zone, Stormwind guild cloaks (not necessary now since the intro quest gives you a SW teleport item). Start your character in the least convenient point to reach, and then go from there, minimize your travel time.

Any quests that you can autocomplete from range should be completed while standing in Spires with the Brewery outpost built, so you get +20% xp

Although the quest log no longer shows the cap, it is still 25. However, there are some quests that will add over the cap. Additionally, quest-starter items in the inventory and quests that can be completed in under 20s and don't need to be pre-completed, don't need to be in your 25 limit. In the first 12 minutes I will be completing 49 quests and follow-ups and getting over 800k xp. That's not theoretical. That's "I can copy my live character over right now and do that on beta." My main did pretty much all the WoD content, so the number is low. The 3 alts that I plan to level reasonably soon after launch are sitting at 1.2m to 1.6m in 20min.

The video that sort of derailed the original thread is mainly for DHs or alts that leveled off rested xp and thus have a lot of content left in Draenor.
    Great post! Would you be able to share some of your additional quests that don't require pre completion? I only have the 8 rare mobs from gorgrond

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallmaker Yahzarah View Post
    its honestly not going to matter. there are no world first, you just going to sit on nerfed world quest rewards while you wait for others to catch up to push content and then fall behind because youre not part of a well-knit crew to grind honor and/or mythic levels.
    "You should only play this game the way I deem to be acceptable."
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    "You should only play this game the way I deem to be acceptable."
    Also
    "I have not made an effort to make friends of a similar skill level to complete group content with, and obviously neither have you"

What ways would you recommend gearing up best for legion? I believe the invasion event gets us 710 gear?
    Marks of Honor can buy you everything but Rings, Neck, Trinkets within seconds of flying to Warspear, assuming you prefarm them now (they are bind on account).....On live there is a vendor selling 710 stuff, the beta server only has the previous season's 700 stuff... This offset gear no longer requires Ashran rep.

Invasion gear is only 700 ilvl..... but you can upgrade the weapons to 725, and buy trinkets/jewelry @ 700 ilvl to fill in the gear you won't have covered by the PvP gear and/or the heirloom trinket

That's probably the best you're going to do without buying upgraded BoEs, running Mythic Dungeons, or running Raids.

Great post! Would you be able to share some of your additional quests that don't require pre completion? I only have the 8 rare mobs from gorgrond
    I'd also be very interested in this information.

7+ Year Old Account
    Kazzak, while buggy right now, drops neck/back/bracers/2 trinkets that are 720+. Each group I've done has about 4-7 people get warforged and 2-4 people get titanforged loot. These are also up-gradable with valor (if you're interested in getting that) so they'll be 730 pieces at minimum which should last you around halfway through leveling, unless you've got some good rng, I believe.
    I wouldn't worry too much about weapons because you'll get your artifact before you jump into the actual questing.

Edit: If you're into mythic dungeons, or willing to be, that's a decent way (depending on RNG) and you get the chance for the BoA trinkets which will be good. At 110 the trinket will be 815 ilvl, which is just around the heroic dungeon ilvl requirement so that's one less slot to worry about.
    Last edited by ItsTiddles; 2016-07-29 at 02:02 AM.

Retired Shaman

7+ Year Old Account
    Damn I didn't even think about the stables thing... I want to retry this now haha.
    The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Gonna laugh my ass off at the people who do this and then have to fight enemies at a way higher ilvl. Gonna be hilarious.
    I mean I'm 741 probably be 744 if I get lucky drops this month. If I could skip ahead to 105 I would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by b0928 View Post
    That's not theoretical. That's "I can copy my live character over right now and do that on beta." My main did pretty much all the WoD content, so the number is low. The 3 alts that I plan to level reasonably soon after launch are sitting at 1.2m to 1.6m in 20min.
    I tried copying my live character to the beta, and all the objectives are gone, I have to do them again from 0. Its happening only to me, or this could happen when the expansion opens?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ote View Post
    I tried copying my live character to the beta, and all the objectives are gone, I have to do them again from 0. Its happening only to me, or this could happen when the expansion opens?
    Objectives get wiped when you character copy, it's just a bug with the data being carried over.

When Legion goes live the objectives will remain completed up to the point you left them.
    The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    I mean I'm 741 probably be 744 if I get lucky drops this month. If I could skip ahead to 105 I would be fine.
    Yeah no.

Artifact Questline scales to ilvl. People with Mythic gear report its nearly impossible and recommend taking off gear to get the artifact.

Unless you are gonna level all the way to 110 with no artifact, you are making a terrible mistake by leveling to 105, having the mobs scale to 105, and having mythic gear scaling them that high. You are gonna get rekt.

Yeah no.

Artifact Questline scales to ilvl. People with Mythic gear report its nearly impossible and recommend taking off gear to get the artifact.

Unless you are gonna level all the way to 110 with no artifact, you are making a terrible mistake by leveling to 105, having the mobs scale to 105, and having mythic gear scaling them that high. You are gonna get rekt.
    Artifact scenario scaling is wonky. My DK is i729 and I find both unholy and frost very easy; do UH in 12 minutes and frost in 6, making a few double pulls on both. I actually found it easier at 101 than 100, so I think its scaling based on your item lvl per your character level.
    At 110 however the scenarios were F'ing ridiculous at 805/815/825 and 835. I had to take gear off to drop my item lvl and it still took 45 minutes.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it stays like this I probably won't do it on my main, on account that I actually enjoy leveling through stuff at least once. I raid at a high level, but the allure of killing people endlessly while questing is just too much fun for me to pass up on my first day of the expansion. Also I can't really do this as effectively as I've done pretty much everything in WoD on my main (treasures, quests, gorgrond elites, bonus objectives). As such I don't think I'd get nearly as much out of it.

However it's something I might prepare on an alt or two so that I can get them up to speed as fast as possible.

Yeah no.

I was level 101, artefact quests was 100 :/