Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Are you not proud to be a nerd? I am.
    I prefer the term "geek". Nerd, indeed, sounds a bit condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack WN View Post
    And your Elementary school taught you relativity? impressive.. I had to go to uni for that.
    My dad explained basics of relativity to me when I was 8 or so. Not that I understood anything at the time, mind you...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It doesn't make sense because 'light's PoV' is not defined in special relativity. In fact, according to the postulates of relativity, such a reference frame is impossible. Light moves at c through vacuum in every inertial reference frame. This is one of the foundations of the theory. Which is to say, light goes at speed c in every point of view. So if you were to have a reference frame for light, it would simultaneously have speed 0 and speed c.
    I did say it does not make sense and it is not defined, it is however, considered. as i say to try to consider lights pov is a mind fuck.

(On a side note, I have recently started looking into the 4th dimension theory.. While I don't agree with it... it is still an interesting read )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    They're both stupid and unnecessarily limiting.
    But at the same time I find the idea of turning intelligence into an insult ludicrous. And this is, as a side note, one of the things I hate about Hollywood. You see it all the time. The kid who knows about science and math and technology is the "loser who never gets the girl" and the jock who's handsome and skilled at playing with balls but isn't smart, is the "winner, who always gets the girl."

Like what are you teaching us? That playing sports is more valuable than actually learning things?

Who is it that gets the nifty careers at the end? The jock with about a 0.00001% chance of going professional, or the nerd who can land a good job in technology, engineering, or research?

I dunno, it just bugs me that "nerd" and "geek" are insults. Yeah, okay, being smart is an insult now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

My dad explained basics of relativity to me when I was 8 or so. Not that I understood anything at the time, mind you...
    I still don't fully understand it.

I mean I get the basics, of the man walking forward on a train with an outside observer watching the man moving with the train.

But throw in light and time dilation . . . my head hurts.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remember the origins of that term are side show workers who would do things like bite the heads off live chickens. A "geek act" was someone doing something anyone COULD do, but no one else was willing to do.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

I mean I get the basics, of the man walking forward on a train with an outside observer watching the man moving with the train.

It's somewhat simple. The faster you move, the slower you experience time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack WN View Post
    I did say it does not make sense and it is not defined, it is however, considered. as i say to try to consider lights pov is a mind fuck.

(On a side note, I have recently started looking into the 4th dimension theory.. While I don't agree with it... it is still an interesting read )
    I'm still not sure if considering it makes any sense. I get what you are saying. But one can question whether it makes sense to consider a limit of something that has no limit in the nature. What I mean is, "light's PoV" breaks Minkowsky metric, which is what our space is, AFAWK. Normally, we have 3 space coordinates and 1 time coordinate. In this "light's PoV" limit, we only have two space coordinates; the third space coordinate is contracted infinitely, and the time coordinate is frozen. So, the world becomes 2-dimensional. There is no point even trying to visualize it; it is a very marginal mental experiment.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Light is made of photons. Photons have no mass, so no inertia. They are "born" not "fired" and their starting and only speed is C. So it doesn't matter how fast the light source is moving - light from it always goes at C.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I'm not offended, I was having fun along with it. Until someone gets offended for me doing the same things as OP did.

You mean you weren't taught the meaning of words time and speed before uni? That is impressive. Those are the things OP struggled with. The meaning of those two words.
    Whether the word is offensive to you or not is not the point of the OP and it also doesn't give you the permission to go around calling people's OP "stupid" or "brainless" just because it's what you think. If you don't want to help the OP then simply leave the thread, filling it up with shitpost just because you're salty of being called a nerd does no one any favors and makes you look like a whiny brat. Takes this as a lesson for this thread and any other you enter into, if you think an OP is stupid or dumb keep it to yourself and just don't post. Shitposting is against the TOS and continuing to do so only bans your account and causes you problems.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

I think of it like this: when you move very fast in a certain direction, the space "squishes" for you in that direction. Don't think about time, think about space. While for you the space squished and for others it did not, it takes less for you to reach your destination, than for others to see you reach it.

Trying to imagine a 4-dimensional space with time as 1 of the dimensions though... Yes, I don't think I can do it.

But have you ever considered why if you fly around the earth faster than light, time moves backwards but science nerds tell us time moves faster than light?

Minions of Satan at work again, this time disguised as science nerds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    But have you ever considered why if you fly around the earth faster than light, time moves backwards while science nerds tell us time moves faster than light?

Minions of Satan at work again, this time disguised as science nerds.
    I'm not sure if I should pull out the "magnets, how do they work" or the "checkmate, atheists" meme here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Light is made of photons. Photons have no mass, so no inertia. They are "born" not "fired" and their starting and only speed is C. So it doesn't matter how fast the light source is moving - light from it always goes at C.
    Strictly speaking, if you account for space expansion, light might still move slower than at C from your perspective. That becomes significant only on extremely high distances though, over hundreds millions light years away, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Whether the word is offensive to you or not is not the point of the OP and it also doesn't give you the permission to go around calling people's OP "stupid" or "brainless" just because it's what you think. If you don't want to help the OP then simply leave the thread, filling it up with shitpost just because you're salty of being called a nerd does no one any favors and makes you look like a whiny brat. Takes this as a lesson for this thread and any other you enter into, if you think an OP is stupid or dumb keep it to yourself and just don't post. Shitposting is against the TOS and continuing to do so only bans your account and causes you problems.
    Why don't you take the lesson instead? If you want a serious discussion, then don't start it by mocking people who paid attention in school. There's a word for that kind of thread, but unfortunately saying that IS against the rules. There have been far too many such threads in the gen-ot, perhaps you haven't yet noticed? There's a limit to how many of them people are going to take seriously.

Also, the last part just seems to confirm it's exactly what you seemed to be after.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-07-29 at 06:21 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Strictly speaking, if you account for space expansion, light might still move slower than at C from your perspective. That becomes significant only on extremely high distances though, over hundreds millions light years away, I believe.
    Sure, in relative terms light speed might seem to be slower due to continuous FTL space expansion, but in absolute terms it's always C, well, adjusted for the environment of course. Space expansion just increases the distance that light have to cover.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Sure, in relative terms light speed might seem to be slower due to continuous FTL space expansion, but in absolute terms it's always C, well, adjusted for the environment of course. Space expansion just increases the distance that light have to cover.
    This can be summed up nicely by saying that it's always c locally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Why don't you take the lesson instead? If you want a serious discussion, then don't start it by mocking people who paid attention in school. There's a word for that kind of thread, but unfortunately saying that IS against the rules. There have been far too many such threads in the gen-ot, perhaps you haven't yet noticed? There's a limit to how many of them people are going to take seriously.

Also, the last part just seems to confirm it's exactly what you seemed to be after.
    I was using the word nerd as another word for smart people, or geniuses not as a word to insult. If you find the word insulting then I apologize it was not my intentions but even still don't blow up a thread with childish insults and going completely off topic if something offends you. Simply respond to the OP then let the poster know that you find a word insulting so he or she can fix it.
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

light is as fast as the light is when events are taking place. so theoretically if you can go faster than light you wouldn't go back in time you would just be able to see what happened in the past.. if past light still lingered there

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    I was using the word nerd as another word for smart people, or geniuses not as a word to insult. If you find the word insulting then I apologize it was not my intentions but even still don't blow up a thread with childish insults and going completely off topic if something offends you. Simply respond to the OP then let the poster know that you find a word insulting so he or she can fix it.
    I was only explaining my joke to Slant, who replied to it. I am unsure why you are so butthurt over it. I suggest you go back and read pages 1 and 2 again. You might see I'm not the only person who didn't take your legitimate (still under question) thread seriously either. Why are you not complaining about them too?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm not sure if I should pull out the "magnets, how do they work" or the "checkmate, atheists" meme here.
    *snippy snip*

Infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-07-30 at 03:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/WjLU1.jpg[IMG]
    But I've always thought it fit perfectly into a dinosaur instead!